• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about shutting down server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MaxBeauford

I’m in the process of building a home server that will replace my current audio production workstation. I’m using a 4U case that will be racked with compression and effects modules as well as rack synth units. I’ve heard in passing that it’s a good idea to leave servers and server equipment powered on all the time and that repeatedly turning them on an off often can have detrimental effects.

I understand that with typical data center servers, constant uptime is necessary for protecting data transfers and crucial applications and such, but assuming this is not the case for me, would it make sense to turn off my server every night when I’m done working? What about the synths and compressors? Not sure if it matters, but I’ll be using this 1U power supply in the case: http://www.mypccase.com/spposp70si1u.html. Is leaving units on more viable when they are powered by industrial power supplies?

I’ve Googled around a bit and haven’t really found anything on this in particular. Is this really a thing? I don’t want to arbitrarily wear down any components if I can avoid it. Any comments or advice would be much appreciated.

Unless you're using tube-based equipment (pre-amps in particular), on/off cycles shouldn't affect rack mount gear in the slightest. My rack stuff is ancient, literally using a lot of stuff from the 80's and it's been fine with no headaches. Can't imagine a solid state compressor having any issues at all. I can't/won't say theres zero risk, but I can comfotably say the risk is low enough to not worry about.

What gear are you running in your rack? I imagine you're running them into a DAW of some sort?

The main reason power cycles are frowned upon with servers is data security, not necessarily "frying hardware".

Back