• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rad help for Cosmos 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
thanks for the info, what do you think about this setup.

slim 360 on top, like a black ice gts stealth and a 240 on the bottom with push-pull, and I think I'll skip the bay res and get a standing one, maybe a frozen q, and put the below the res next to or in the extra drive bays?

Oh and can someone tell me what op stands for plz

The black ice gts stealth is the rad i have in the top it fits fine but needs some pretty loud fans to work properly. It cool just fine but if your looking for a silent system you may want something with a lower FPI (fins per inch).

A 240 will fit fine in the bottom in push pull. the case will come with adapters to remove the drive cages and add a rad.

Res should fit fine next to or in the drive cages depending on which style you go with.

Op stands for Original Poster

I have the Same case.
I went with a slim 360 at the top.
you can put a bay res in It may be a tight fit but you can do it i did it for a while then removed my old dvd drive and moved the bay res down 1 slot and left my Blu ray burner in the last one. The only reason i did this was so i could add another fan to the bottom of the Rad. you won't be able to do full push-pull on the rad but you can get 3 fans on top and 1 on the bottom if you don't use your top drive bay.

To the Op i agree this case is way more appealing than the plain case labs cases. if i wanted something plain with a lot of space i'd make a case out of aluminum my self. for way cheaper.

If you have any questions on the case case and making things fit let me know i may be able to help.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Caselab cases are the highest "quality" cases possible. They are also the most functional cases that will last you at least 10 or 15 years if not more. The build material is so good that you cannot damage it even if you wanted to. Its not like the cheap antec or coolermaster made in china plastic cases (I also have antec 1200).

That being said, it may not appeal to teenagers or college crowd which may be sold to these other mainstreem 1337 ub3r looking cases and in that case I'll just say that maturity has its natural progression. But the case can easily be designed and modded to be a lot more lively. Just because the company that makes them did not put colorful stickers to the cases like they are Halloween decoration does not mean the case is "plain".

They also cost a lot of money, dont trash it because you cannot afford it.

The black ice gts stealth is the rad i have in the top it fits fine but needs some pretty loud fans to work properly. It cool just fine but if your looking for a silent system you may want something with a lower FPI (fins per inch).

A 240 will fit fine in the bottom in push pull. the case will come with adapters to remove the drive cages and add a rad.

Res should fit fine next to or in the drive cages depending on which style you go with.

Op stands for Original Poster

Thanks for the help I'll prolly go with the gts up top, everyone seems to have good things to say about it

You have no idea what you are talking about. Caselab cases are the highest "quality" cases possible. They are also the most functional cases that will last you at least 10 or 15 years if not more. The build material is so good that you cannot damage it even if you wanted to. Its not like the cheap antec or coolermaster made in china plastic cases (I also have antec 1200).

That being said, it may not appeal to teenagers or college crowd which may be sold to these other mainstreem 1337 ub3r looking cases and in that case I'll just say that maturity has its natural progression. But the case can easily be designed and modded to be a lot more lively. Just because the company that makes them did not put colorful stickers to the cases like they are Halloween decoration does not mean the case is "plain".

I said nothing about build quality and everything about it's appealing looks. Teenager hell no probably been working with computers longer than you have been alive. The Caselab cases remind me of the old Server cases i used in the early 90's. Some of us buy cases so they actually look good in our houses and flow with our design idea's not just oh it works the best lets throw this monstrosity in the corner and hope no one sees it. Hell i threw away 6 full tower cases that look just like caselab cases because they were too plain.

And lets go to cost do you even know what the Cosmos 2 case costs? i don't think price was my concern when buying this case. I could have SAVED money and got a caselab case.

And by Plain i mean they are mostly flat on all sides, no style to them. again look at the Cosmos 2 that we are talking about here. no stickers colors or Halloween decorations as you say. Just a bit of style with nothing flashy and in your face.

Thanks for the help I'll prolly go with the gts up top, everyone seems to have good things to say about it

AS i said you may need some strong fans to get the most out of it (high static pressure) but i love mine. Currently it's just cooling my Phenom x3 720 over clocked to 3.8 ghz. However with fans on low it stays at room temp during normal use. With prime 95 running or video encoding etc.. that run the cores at 100% it will go up 10c over ambient with fans on high it only goes 5c over ambient with the processor pegged at 100% for hours at a time.

for that kind of performance i can deal with the slightly louder fan needed with the high fpi rad. With a 240 in the bottom as well you can probably run the fans at low level with out much worry.

I went with the cougar vortex 120mm fans. with these fans i found i had to use them in Push config (pointing down blowing air into the Rad/case) or they did not perform well and made some noise. when i put them in push config the difference was night and day. Noise was gone and temps dropped.

Good luck, Take your time with the setup and leak test well. Make sure you do the rad dance (clean the rad) when you get it you'd be surprised what they leave in those things during manufacturing. Most of all have fun.

You sound like you have never seen the case in question? I too have a CM Cosmos II and there is no flashy stickers. Lol.

Some of us buy cases so they actually look good in our houses and flow with our design idea's not just oh it works the best lets throw this monstrosity in the corner and hope no one sees it. Hell i threw away 6 full tower cases that look just like caselab cases because they were too plain.

^ that all day... If you gotta look at it, at least buy one halfway decent looking?

AS i said you may need some strong fans to get the most out of it (high static pressure) but i love mine. Currently it's just cooling my Phenom x3 720 over clocked to 3.8 ghz. However with fans on low it stays at room temp during normal use. With prime 95 running or video encoding etc.. that run the cores at 100% it will go up 10c over ambient with fans on high it only goes 5c over ambient with the processor pegged at 100% for hours at a time.

for that kind of performance i can deal with the slightly louder fan needed with the high fpi rad. With a 240 in the bottom as well you can probably run the fans at low level with out much worry.

I went with the cougar vortex 120mm fans. with these fans i found i had to use them in Push config (pointing down blowing air into the Rad/case) or they did not perform well and made some noise. when i put them in push config the difference was night and day. Noise was gone and temps dropped.

Good luck, Take your time with the setup and leak test well. Make sure you do the rad dance (clean the rad) when you get it you'd be surprised what they leave in those things during manufacturing. Most of all have fun.

I ended up with the 3690 black ice GTS up top with 3 120mm slipstream 1900rpm fans, and a black ice GTX xtreme on the bottom, with 6 slipstream fans 1900rpm fans. I'll probably have my top rad setup like yours, with fans pushing in from the outside, and I'm not to worried about my ambient temps since I live in Seattle and its like less than 45 degrees every day.. Thanks for help and everyones feedback, now i'm just waiting for the parts. I'll post a few pics of my build next week on the watercooling pic thread.

Glad to hear things have worked out and you have your parts in order. The Cosmos is a nice case with lots of room. With a bit of care and fine tuning you will make a nice system. Don't be afraid to ask questions and good luck with your build.

Glad to hear things have worked out and you have your parts in order. The Cosmos is a nice case with lots of room. With a bit of care and fine tuning you will make a nice system. Don't be afraid to ask questions and good luck with your build.

Thanks, I'll be sure to ask questions if I run into trouble, I rather do this right the first time

You sound like you have never seen the case in question? I too have a CM Cosmos II and there is no flashy stickers. Lol.

^ that all day... If you gotta look at it, at least buy one halfway decent looking?

Cosmos 2 is a plastic crowded case.

There are three aspects to this comparison.

A) Style:

To me, the difference between the two is like the difference between shiny Nike shoes and classy Johnston and Murphy ones

http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/group.aspx?name=men/tyndall

vs

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/nike-le...6B9183-2F0F-E211-9A4A-90E2BA0278A8&origin=pla

But as with everything, "to each his own", so I guess we can move on.

B) Quality

Cosmos 2 is a plastic case. Caselab cases are fully aluminum. They don't break or damage period. I drilled holes on mine, did so many things with my massive drill, they are so well made, it will last me at least 15 years and many builds. Cosmos 2 on the other hand is similar to my Antec 1200 case. It is still "high end" compared to the $100 cheap cases, but it is nowhere near Caselab cases. My antec 1200 is falling apart after 6 years of use.

C) Functionality

As you can see from the topic of this thread, for WC, you can barely fit anything into Cosmos 2. Because it has to be "good looking", it has so many gadgets and compartments that take up space, you can barely fit in a 360 rad and a 240 which will give average performance to cool down a sandy bridge CPU and a high end GTX GPU without any SLI configuration. Caselabs can handle 3 x 560 rads AND 2 x 360 rads AND 2 x 240 rads all together (I only have 3 x 480, more than enough) with SPARE room to work in the case. When you are working with your components, you don't feel like a surgeon trying to operate on someone, you don't get stressed that you will screw something up because your hands won't fit.

Even the fact that caselabs has wheels makes like so much easier. No carrying or pushing the case. The panels are easy to open, and I can get so creative designing my build.

I think we need to stop this comparison, one costs north of $700, other is less than half price, its like comparing a BMW to a Chevy, different cars to different types of people.

Back