• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rate ma revised amd 64 rig?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Firstly, I say get a better hard drive. Bigger drives are faster than smaller drives, and maxtor has new 16mb cache drives out now that are considerably faster(starting at $100, 200gb). If you skimp on it, your system will "feel" slow.

Case: Isn't that a bit expensive for a case? I got a $40 case from skyhawk and I am perfectly happy with it. Either way, this is completly your choice.

Ram: People told me to get this ram: http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4292564?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
A lot cheaper and it overclocks great.

Video card: I think it would be worth it(if you game a lot) to spend $250 on an X800np or $265 on ap X800pro(much better price/performance).

CPU: You could save a lot of money getting a 3000+, but the higher multi makes overclocking easier. Either way, I doubt you could tell a difference between them at stock.

Monitor: This may put you out of budget and CRT's might be a turn off, but this monitor here was easily the best money I ever spent on my pc. Best picture of any monitor I've seen bar none. http://www.azatek.com/details.asp?iid=510

Keyboard/mouse: Get a real mouse, and wireless keyboards are a pain in the butt.

EDIT: I really only have a "problem" with that keyboard and mouse, but I think you would REALLY like the monitor too.

Last edited:
HD: I agree with Yuriman here Fast HDs=Happiness even more so than faster CPUs.

Case: For that price you can probably get a better case but if that case is your thing go for it.

Ram: The Patriot ram is TCCD and the Mushkin UTT. Both are excellent overclockers the TCCD uses less voltage at the of better timmings the UTT requires more voltage but will run 250 or more FSB at 2,2,2,8 timings on a DFI nf4 board. Your biggest problem is not running it in dual channel IE using two sticks. Dual channel is worth alot in memory bandwidth performance.

Video Card: an x800pro can be had for $265 and when overclocked beats out most x800xls. However a 6600gt will serve your needs more than adequately and wont empty your account fully if you decide to upgrade whenever ATi/Nvidia decide to release new cards(supposedly in 2 to 3 months.).

CPU: If you go with TCCD based ram get the 3000 it will do well that ram has the ability to do over 290FSB, if you go UTT get the 3200 the higher multi will give you an extra 250mhz in clockspeed.

By the way I love the power supply choice way to many people skimp on power when building new rigs.

Good luck

the case is so expensive becuz it has 6 fans
also could u guys point me out a good pair of dual channel ram good for overclocking?
also i heard that almost all steppings bought from newegg r ccbid which means it'll be speed binned. so i wanted 2 get a faster processor 2 make up for the speed bin.
also could u guys than find me a decent monitor tat's lcd? i'm really tight on space
n is FSB more important or raw cpu speed more important?
o n ok i'll upgrade the HDD

Those fans are seriously loud I would reccommed Vantec Stealths for case fans becuase they are quiet and probably will do just as well

Also you need an 120mm fan for that xp-120. By the way you can buy an XP-90(the XP-120s little brother) for $30 @ www.svc.com

Your CPU speed = CPU multi x Front side Bus(FSB) A64s are locked so the higher the multi the lower the required FSB for the same overclock resulting in higher overclocks or more stability.

That ram is pretty good stuff. TCCD based should get you atleast 2.6ghz with an okay stepping 3000.

the reason i like the fans is becuz the fan cfm is like 70 sumthing
the stealths r only like 27

Ahh, but more cfm = more noise(generaly). The tornado's sound like hair dryers. I would know, I have one in my drawer.

Im not to crazy about the monitor. IMO, You are better off getting the "Value VX" memory and spending the saved money on a 3200+. Especially since your board will be capable of the voltage. They are comming out with the MX518 soon, which the gameing mouse based on the mx1000.

but isn't the memory tat i have better if i'm gonna overclcok?
n wat's bad about the monitor? it has 8 ms response time

DONT GET THE TORNADOS! 1 is bad enough in my rig, 4 in yours will be sheer destruction. the other choices seem really good, id say go with a different choice then the raidmax case. i have one, you need to mod them heavily to get decent performance. i cut out my side grills and drilled, yea drilled, out my front grills. everything else looks great though.

IrishAssassin said:
Your going to go deaf with 4 tornados. 55 dB each, you will kill yourself by the end of the day.

4 tornados at 55db will make 61 db...if you are going to listen to those all day long i would seriously suggest wearing a helmet or something...

Ok, first off, you should read THIS THREAD for some good info on building an A64 rig, specifically one on the DFI LanParty s939 series boards.

As far as suggestions on components, it looks pretty good but I don't exactly know what your budget is like for this build...

The NF4 chipset supports SATAII (which includes NCQ) so you should look into a drive that has NCQ such as the Seagate 7200.8 series HDD's like THIS 200GB Seagate HDD w/ NCQ. They also have HDD's with NCQ ranging from 80GB to 400Gb to suit all your needs;)

As far as RAM, the stuff that Yuriman linked to is a good choice because that DFI board can give it the voltage that it needs to run well (3.2-3.5v). If for some reason you don't want that RAM, the OCZ Voltage eXtreme stuff would be your next best choice. Then some TCCD based RAM like that Patriot stuff you have listed.

And I will have to agree with everyone else about all those fans; ESPECIALLY if you plan on making all your case fans Tornados!!!:eek:
Even if you think that noise will not be a problem, you will be seriously kicking yourself when you fire up a case with 4 Tornados going at full speed (even with a fan controller). Either get a case with a front and rear 120mm fan for good airflow and silence or get fewer or quieter case fans. Just a suggestion.

The XP-90 would be a great second choice behind the XP-120 if you were to change your mind and your new keyboard and mouse choice looks great;)

Also, check out sidewinder computers for a good selection of high performance 120mm fans and 92mm fans.

Last edited:
Chenming makes a version of the "Chieftech Dragon Style" cases in Silver, Black , and Blue versions with windows or the same without windows that can all be found at newegg with a search of "Chenming" then just specify to refine the search to ATX style cases. And there are TONS of other cases out there so this "style" case is by no means a requirement...

Antec also makes some similar cases you should check out as well.

As for fans, something like THIS Silverstone 80mm fan or THIS Coolermaster 80mm case fan are both good choices. Of course, there are MANY other choices of case fans available so its all up to you. I have that silverstone fan and have also had some similar coolermaster fans to the one above and both are great case fans.

Last edited:
Back