• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RC Car mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ahem... Im gonna step on a few toes.... Technically fuel, paper, bombs, TNT, C-4, PETEN, SemTex, all explosives dont "Explode". they burn at an UN-believablely fast rate.

that said, Nitro fuel is nomore dangerous that normal gasoline. I hav been in to Nitro RC for about 7 years now, and never have I seen any explode. I crashend into a curb nce going Full Speed (about 55MPH) and my car caught fire and burned, but it diddnt "explode".

as to you not being old enough for a nitro, I agree, but not really for the point that the shop owner stated. Nitro cars ar pickey to tune. With my motor it normally take me about 10 mins of tuning once it is warmed up to full temp to be able to run it full out. Most younger people dont have the patience for that. Im not trying to rag on you or put you down, but working in a Hobby Shop for a year I saw lots of kids and thier parents buy a Nitro RC, and when I offered to teach them how to use it, show them how tto tune it and such they declined, only to bring it back the next week saying it was defective. Of course it only took me about 15mins to fix this factory defective POS and have it run around the parking lot. It takes PATIENCE and knowledge. Just lik OC'ing. I have patience, but not much knowledge.

tell you what, You buy a nitro RC, and Ill teach you how to run it, and you teach me how to OC the beeJeesus outta my PC. :)

oh yea, my truck ostabout $500, an I have put easily $500 into it in upgrades. My Notro RS4 Racer was about $350, with another $700-800 n up grades. My electric RS4 was about $250 with another $1200 in upgrades. before I retired it it was clocked at 71MPH by the local Sherrif on his Stalker Radar gun. then it hit a bump and performed a beautiful Blow Over, like the Mercades LMP cars are notorious for doing... I cried.

I am sellin my Savage right now for $500. I probably shouldnt say that here (Mods, please dont kil me. If this is bad delete this line).

Mike

[n/m this, N-bandit's bost didn't show up]How much do you think it would cost me to get one a R/C truck like savage basher's or John's (NC's too) up and running with one gallon of fuel?[end the n/m]

John, your R/C is awesome!

Another question for you guys,

What kind of range do your R/C's have?

Last edited:
You can get a Savage 25 RTR (Ready to Run) for I think 400 now, all the goodies (fuel filter, fuel bottle, glow starter) will be about 100-150, and fuel itself will be around $20 per gallon. I have an upgraded radio, the Airtronics MX-3, and its FM, so basicly, if all my batts are charged (in the radio and receiver) I will have no problem running it farther than my eye can see. The stock radios are less than that, but still hella good. (more than a normal block away)

Sorry guys, I got my words mixed up. But your truck caught fire and it didn't do anything other than burn? I would think that it would turn into a ball of fire. I think the guy at the store was thinking that I wasn't old enough to be messing with nitro and he said that I should go with electric. But, can nitro really cause blindness and cancer? I heard that it can when I was searching for my second R/C. At the bottom of the page of the fuel section, it said may cause blindness. I don't know if this is true or not, but I sure wouldn't want to get a nitro if it caused blindness.

I don't have that much money right now :( Infact, I only have $64 as of now. By X-mas, I'll have around $250, I hope. Do you think that would be enough for something basic?

BTW, It's probably going to be run on gravel, a dirt road and of coarse some pavement.

It "might" cause blindness if you put some in your eyes and didn't flush them out right away, and the only way that I would think that you might get cancer from it is if you drink it...

It would just burn, melt the plastic and maybe some of the aluminum... unless its in a song of course (insert pun) Goodness Gracious great balls of fire... (end pun)

Whoa, all of you answered so fast that as I was typing my question was virtually answered :D

What's the cheapest I can a RTR truck? I'm only 14, so I don't have much money :(

I like towerhobbies.com for R/C stuff. If you live in canada, greathobbies.com is also a good site. I payed 200 canadian for my stampede not including the radio and battery and charger. How much are you looking to spend on this R/C and do you plan to get nitro or electric?

That tower truck is ok for a beginner... but... It has next to no upgrades (upgrading is really fun:D), I have no idea how good the engine is, and you can only get replacement parts for it from tower (Your LHS won't have a single thing for it)

Why an RTR??? Theres no fun in getting a pre-made R/C...lol. jks. Hey, it's all up to you. If you want to buy a kit and build it yourself, you should buy just the kit. It will save a little bit of money and it's also a lot more fun to do. When I first got my Alfa Romeo, my dad said to me, "Your getting in over your head with this" and I was like ya maybe I am, but I have no regrets. It was a good experience building the kit.

Also, if you buy a pre-made kit, if something happens to the inside of the truck (maybe say the gear teeth wear down) you wont know how to replace it as well as you would if you bought a kit and did it yourself.

Just my opinion:D

I got my Rustler as a kit. Too bad traxxas don't make em no more. :( I would really suggest an electric as a first hobby rc, toys and these are 2 totally different worlds. As for a kit... I don't know...

I had a Boomerang about 20 years ago. It had the same problem flipping while turning as yours Cyrix_2k. Not because it was top heavy, it was too powerful. Hmm lets see give a 12 year old an RC car, let him pick out the hottest electric motor on the market, pair it with an 8 battery Ni-Cad stick and let him race. I would always be in the lead at the first turn but could never make it out. lol

How hard is it to build my own? I'd build if you guys could help me select the parts. I'm looking to spend $~200. Hopefully I get that much for Christmas :D

Sharkman,

We were speedtesting that avalanch on Stone rd (where people do around 80mph) and never had it up to speed as it would run out of range. Then it would try and turn itself and flip.

Savage, thanx for the links. That looks like a pretty nice setup. those battery's should last about 45mins, right?

And I LOVE upgrading stuff. That part's the most fun :D

a 1500mAh sport pack like the ones I linked you to will last about 10+ minutes each with a stock rustler, and they will take about 30 minutes each to charge at a normal rate (3amps)

Its not hard to build one at all (given that you have descent mechanical skills). The problem is that Traxxas no longer makes kits of any sort.

Back