• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Replace in socket thermistor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Owenator

Senior Internet Fart
My Iwill kk266-r in socket thermistor doesn't reach the cpu by what seems like 1/8 in. I tried a sandwitched stack of thin copper sheet and AS but it still barely touches. Can the in socket thermistor be replaced? I thought about clipping it off and the soldering on some wire or another thermistor? Any ideas?

O

Owenator (Jul 03, 2001 11:45 a.m.):
My Iwill kk266-r in socket thermistor doesn't reach the cpu by what seems like 1/8 in. I tried a sandwitched stack of thin copper sheet and AS but it still barely touches. Can the in socket thermistor be replaced? I thought about clipping it off and the soldering on some wire or another thermistor? Any ideas?

O

Anything is possible. The difficulty will be in finding an in socket thermistor as a replacement that has the correct settings to give you an accurate temp.

Why not clip the leads and solder splice addition lead length onto them. You could also remove your mobo, look on the bottom and see how much of the thermistor leads stick through. Then. unsolder and retract the leads enough to reach. Reflow the solder and you're done. Here's a pic of the first idea.

Hoot

Hoot,

I let this post languish, sorry! I would try clipping the leads but they are almost flush with the mobo. I will think about desoldering the thermistor and either taking a swag at a replacement or extent the leads as you suggest. I would think that the solder may affect the resistance if I extend it? Thanks for the reply!

O

Hoot (Jul 03, 2001 07:36 p.m.):
Why not clip the leads and solder splice addition lead length onto them. You could also remove your mobo, look on the bottom and see how much of the thermistor leads stick through. Then. unsolder and retract the leads enough to reach. Reflow the solder and you're done. Here's a pic of the first idea.

Hoot

Nah, in-socket thermistors are usually around 10K ohm. adding a few pico-ohms of wire won't impact the accuracy.

Hoot

OK so if I feel real brave I'll desolder the thermistor off my dead Abit KT7-Raid and then see about attaching it to the Iwill. Or maybe I should just use some of the excess wire off a resistor? What do you suggest?

O

Back