• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Replacing a GTX 460 with a GTX 560 issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madman7

Ok here's the scoop. I recently received an Asus GTX 560 1 GB from fleabay to replace my Asus GTX 460 768 MB. I uninstalled all the Nvidia drivers so that the video display showed as a standard vga in device manager. I removed the 460 and installed the 560. I didn't let Win 7 install its own drivers. I downloaded the new Nvidia driver for the 460/560. It's the same driver. I installed the driver but I had video issues. I would get an error saying that the Nvidia driver stopped responding and has recovered or something close to this. It would do this whenever I opened my browser, closed my browser or opened any Windows programs. The screen would go black and the error message would pop up in the task bar. I didn't even try to run any games. Sometimes it would do it just at the desktop for no apparent reason. I went thru the uninstall/reinstall the drivers a few times. The same old thing. I contacted the dude I got the card from and he told me to try the same thing I just described as he said that he has had problems when installing an Nvidia card with a different model Nvidia card. I put my 460 card back in and it works fine. I think there is a problem with the card but wanted to check here to see if anyone might have an idea if I did something wrong. I can send him the card back but I hate to if it's not bad. I would think my system would run this card as the 560 doesn't take much more power than my 460.

That should be enough power in your sig, did you try rolling back the drivers? I had that problem with my 560 when I installed driver 301.42. I rolled back to 296.10 and the issue went away. Or maybe install the updated 301.42 from the 296.10 driver and see how it works out.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't think of that. I had the new drivers D/L for the new card. I'll try that soon and post back.

Make sure you set 'Power mangement mode' to Maxium performance in the manage 3d settings via the Nvidia control panel. I had the same issue with my two 560ti's and every time I installed new drivers I would forget to change that one setting causing it to not respond.

You mean under global settings? It's set for adaptive. I don't understand why my 460 works with these settings if that's an issue.

While the card is set to adaptive power settings and in idle (surfing the web) the card dips below its minium power consumption level causing a micro second stutter which it turn stops the driver. This is a very common problem with 560/ti's and really hasn't been resolved by Nvidia or any other forum I've seen.

Are you using the latest Nvidia driver? I haven't put the 560 card back in yet. I hate to uninstall the drivers and start over.

I tried the card with the 296.10 drivers and it does the same thing. I tried the 3D setting to performance still no go. I even saw on the Nvidia forum site that some were having trouble wit the 301.42 drivers. It doesn't seem to matter which driver I use. My 460 works fine on either driver so it's staying in. One thing the guy I got it from said was to go back to stock speed and don't overclock. I can't see how that would matter.
Update:
I had GPU-Z running and saw what was happening. In the Bus Interface line, when it would switch from PCI-E 2.0x16@x16 2.0 to PCI-E 1.1x16@x16 1.1 or vice-versa, thats when it would crash. It would show some weird PCI-E settings in the Bus Interface such as PCI-E or PCI-E x0 @. The problem seems to be when it automatically switches bus interface. Why? I don't have a clue. I tried changing some BIOS settings for the PCIE slot such as GFX Dula slot config and GFX2 Dual slot config. That didn't help. Only thing I didn't try was GPP Slots Power Limit, W. It was at 25 so I left it there.

Last edited:
Back