• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rome: Total War first impressions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Papier

I'm quite surprised how there's no thread about how RTW rocked. I know I loved the demo and eventually I'll buy the game, but I'm wondering what's the owners of RTW impressions of it are? And more importantly how's multiplay?

I really need to play the demo.

Just beat Dawn Of War, and i need a long, wicked SP campaign. Heard this game is quality.

still not out in the UK - I should have my preorder next weekend - so will give my views then...as a jist to what my post will be about is how RTW > everything ever :)

Heres my review.

The AI is retarded, you gotta baby sit each garrison or they won't do crap. They don't go were you tell them, theirs no auto-run, and since when does calvary just sit in the middle of a group of enemies?

The sound is sub-par, I expected my floor to shake when i ordered a calvary charge and zoomed in, nope. the 5.1 support isn't good either.

The empire-building aspect is a joke, theirs only about 6-10 types of buildings to be built. You can't make any new cities, you have to conquer whats already their. And I can't find were the hell you choose what type of units a city can train.

The graphics, yea it can render over 10,000 highly detailed motion captured polygonal models (boy those guys love saying that). But WTF is the point in that when you have to hover half a mile above their head to command them with any effectiveness, they all look like little 2D sprites from high up in the air don't forget that.

Thxs for the review, Feydd. I thought the empire part of the game will have depth like civ or other games like it. Just a quick q though; how's the unit manuevering on the global map? I heard you can lay out ambushes, traps and the battlefield will look exactly like that on map. Is this true, and how does it play in the game?

Back