• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RTX2080 . . . (MSI Ventus) Do you own one?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zuzzz

Premium Member
Ok gang,

I have after almost 20+ yrs decided to try out nVidia. I replaced a 390X AMD with this in the title. Running a 4k system I'm pleasantly impressed. 60FPS without hesitation @ default clocks. Cant wait to see what it might do when pushed a bit. Max temps 58C running Diablo 3 max settings after 2 hours of play. I'll ask, anyone else own one of these? Is it a hit or a miss? (No this is not about AMD vs nVidia. So please no fanboy stuff.) I just want to know what the real world folks who own one think. Things like the features etc. Perhaps known(or unknown) driver issues etc. After all this is the place to go if you want to know ! THX for reading.

Z

Driver issues aren't typically card specific so I wouldn't worry abot that personally.

Reviews show it as decently quiet and its a 2080 so pretty powerful... seems like a solid card overall.

So far after a day of use this thing just does it all. Using a 4K system it really does shine. I know my old 2600k is probably a bottleneck but that will be remedied soon too. And if this thing has more with a modern system I cant wait. I did read the reviews but I started this thread to see what our members here think of the card. TY for your thoughts Most appreciated.

Z

So far after a day of use this thing just does it all. Using a 4K system it really does shine. I know my old 2600k is probably a bottleneck but that will be remedied soon too. And if this thing has more with a modern system I cant wait. I did read the reviews but I started this thread to see what our members here think of the card. TY for your thoughts Most appreciated.

Z

I have one. I'm not ready to mess with voltage, but at stock volts it's a real crappy overclocker. I can get 100 mhz on the core and that's it.

That's like 5-6% OC. The power limit is locked at 11% increase. My 980Ti could do 20% OC no problem.

I will note that overclocking the RAM 500mhz brought me instantly from 58-60 up to 72 fps. Like 12 % FPS increase in "Anthem" just for the RAM alone, I had to run it back a couple times to be sure. This was only tested in one spot standing still and altering the RAM speed. And that's on top of the 100mhz clock already applied.

Just realized this card won't even let me apply a custom fan curve. Well it was the cheapest rtx 2080 on newegg I guess for a reason. I feel so locked down.

apologies, my sig I'd mistakenly left the EVGA next to my GPU when I changed it to a 2080. fixed to MSI.

Last edited:
LOL your sig says so far what im finding. . . but IMHO its cheap. I wont complain . . YET. .

Z

LOL your sig says so far what im finding. . . but IMHO its cheap. I wont complain . . YET. .

Z

Saddest part is that one week before I was about to purchase an EVGA version for about $50 more than I paid for this MSI version. Didn't pull the trigger right away for reasons I can't remember. Then when I returned to newegg with full intentions of making the buy. The EVGA version was no longer available for near the same price and I bought this. If only I hadn't waited I could have had a better value.

I hate running my card so hot, I used to have a custom curve that could get loud but kept my temps 65c-70c ish with a 20% OC on my 980ti.

This MSI runs quietly at a nice 76c with like a 5% OC. I know if I OC my CPU now It's gonna drive the card to like 80c and it's still Winter.

I have so far managed a +190 OC on the core. I havent touched the mem yet. Anything I throw at it 4K@60Hz from Anthem to Destiny2 to Diablo3 the card does about 58 - 63C and is almost dead silent on my custom fan curve. I set the curve in AB and it seems to work well. 30% untill it goes above 50C and by 70C the fans are 60%. As i type this I chuckle. . . 600+ dollars for a video card and we are saying its 'cheap'' lol I can remember a day when the very idea of that much for a video card was insanity. I''ll push this card more this week and see what she can really do :D

Z

I have so far managed a +190 OC on the core. I havent touched the mem yet. Anything I throw at it 4K@60Hz from Anthem to Destiny2 to Diablo3 the card does about 58 - 63C and is almost dead silent on my custom fan curve. I set the curve in AB and it seems to work well. 30% untill it goes above 50C and by 70C the fans are 60%. As i type this I chuckle. . . 600+ dollars for a video card and we are saying its 'cheap'' lol I can remember a day when the very idea of that much for a video card was insanity. I''ll push this card more this week and see what she can really do :D

Z

What? Your able to set a custom curve in MSI afterburner? Mine is greyed out and I couldn't find a way to unlock it. I always used it with my 980ti. I downloaded the latest version of MSI afterburner when I installed the 2080.

Edit: Oh wow I went and bumped from AB 4.5 to 4.6 and I have a fan curve now !

Last edited:
What? Your able to set a custom curve in MSI afterburner? Mine is greyed out and I couldn't find a way to unlock it. I always used it with my 980ti. I downloaded the latest version of MSI afterburner when I installed the 2080.

Edit: Oh wow I went and bumped from AB 4.5 to 4.6 and I have a fan curve now !

Yes was going to say you will need 4.6 or better. Also,if your are trying to claim your games and it errors with "The system is temporarily unavailable." It means you are not using the VERY latest nVidia driver v419.35. That will fix the isuuse.

Z

Yes was going to say you will need 4.6 or better. Also,if your are trying to claim your games and it errors with "The system is temporarily unavailable." It means you are not using the VERY latest nVidia driver v419.35. That will fix the isuuse.

Z

I was able to claim my games on the one before .35, but it was glitchy as hell and took many attempts.

I was able to claim my games on the one before .35, but it was glitchy as hell and took many attempts.

I think its because they varify the hardware. Did some digging and it seems they make sure (thru some kind of driver thing + GeForce Experience I suspect) You must have qualifying hardware and software to get the goodies..

Z

So at this point I'm gettin a 2025MHz core and 7300 mem. Been running some tests and this thing is a rock. 4 hours plus of folding (GPU @ 100%) 63c 65% fan speed. I didnt expect over 2k on the core for this, but Im not complaining. I'll do some more testing but I think I got a gem here. I know. . let's' push it MOAR !!!!!!

Z

So I have managed to get 2040 core and 7500 mem. On a side note Im using a TCL 49in 4k (TV) for a monitor. It does native 60hz @ default. I managed to squeeze 75Hz out of it. While it isnt much, the visual difference is very nice. I tried 120 and no go. I think 75 is going to be it. I didnt think it would be possible to get 75 out of the TCL. More good news. :D

Z

So I have managed to get 2040 core and 7500 mem. On a side note Im using a TCL 49in 4k (TV) for a monitor. It does native 60hz @ default. I managed to squeeze 75Hz out of it. While it isnt much, the visual difference is very nice. I tried 120 and no go. I think 75 is going to be it. I didnt think it would be possible to get 75 out of the TCL. More good news. :D

Z

Is that after turbo boost ?

Is that after turbo boost ?

Im using MSI AB to do the overclocking on the GPU. Yes, those are boost clocks. The memory clocks I set manually. I used a custom resolution in the nVidia control panel to get 75Hz on the 4k monitor(TV).

Z

Last edited:
For what its worth I have an MSI Ventus 2060 and it struck me as a well built card...especially for one of the "cheaper" versions. Nice, solid heatsink and not crazy overbuilt or weirdly designed like the EVGA single-fan, three slot thing. It installed in a Linux box without a hickup and has been chugging away at F@H for about a month and a half.

I agree. solid card but no overkill. runs cool and quiet.

Z

Can you post a Superposition 1080p Extreme result with and without overclock? Thanks.

My CPU is actually @ 4.4 I don't know why it states 4001MHz there. No GPU Overclock.

My card is a poor overclocker. +500Mhz on the Ram and + 100 on the Core is all I can do without stability issues. But the card power throttles ( +11% max power target ) readily and drops 100Mhz due to throttling. So you gain very little on the OC overall.

I wonder if I Powered the cooling for the GPU separately some how could I prevent power throttling, it's not worth messing with ultimately though I think. You'll notice the OC Ran cooler. I jacked up my Case Fan Speed for the OC plus custom Fan curve for the card.

Attachments

• Unigine SUPERPOSITION BENCHMARK.jpg
    Unigine SUPERPOSITION BENCHMARK.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 1,853
  • Unigine SUPERPOSITION OC.jpg
    Unigine SUPERPOSITION OC.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 1,847
Last edited:
I managed 7159 @ those settings, no overclock. I doubt i'll get much more as my old 2600K is probably bottlenecking a bit.

Z

Back