• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ryzen 1700X

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rossotron

Registered
So I got really hooked on this even though it has only been a day since I first joined. I'm going to my local Micro Center tomorrow to pick up AMD's Ryzen 1700X. I figure since Rosetta only uses CPUs, I might as well get a 16 "core" CPU. I'm assuming this will let me do 16 tasks at a time.

Here is my parts list:

1) ASUS PRIME B350M-A/CSM AM4 mATX AMD Motherboard
2) AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
3) Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8GB 2 x 4GB DDR4-2400
4) Corsair CX Series CX750 750 Watt ATX 12V Modular Power Supply
5) Thermaltake Core V21 Micro-ATX
6) Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" Hard Drive
7) Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
8) Thermaltake Water 3.0 Extreme S Liquid Cooling System

I have a few questions:

1) Do I need a lot of RAM or could I get away with 8GB DDR4 2400?
2) Can I get a lower wattage power supply?
3) I plan on running this 24/7 so do I need to water cool it?

Thanks for any advice.

Alaric

With the parts listed I'm seeing under 300 watts total. So, yeah, you can get by with a much smaller PSU. A good 450 watt PSU will more than cover your needs. I don't know if more RAM will help your goals, but 16 GB is generally the new minimum, and a 450 watt PSU won't even notice the extra 8 GB. If your case has the airflow to support an air cooler (will you be OCing?) you can use the AMD Wraith for a set-it-and-forget-it rig for years to come.

OP
R

rossotron

Registered
With the parts listed I'm seeing under 300 watts total. So, yeah, you can get by with a much smaller PSU. A good 450 watt PSU will more than cover your needs. I don't know if more RAM will help your goals, but 16 GB is generally the new minimum, and a 450 watt PSU won't even notice the extra 8 GB. If your case has the airflow to support an air cooler (will you be OCing?) you can use the AMD Wraith for a set-it-and-forget-it rig for years to come.

Thanks for the advise Alaric.

The case can support 10 120mm case fans so I may be able to get away with an air cooler. I don't think the CPU comes with the Wraith, so I may just pick up a CM Hyper 212. I currently don't have plans to overclock it, but for sure in the future.

Alaric

Temperature hasn't been a problem with the Ryzen chips, so any decent air cooler should do, then. If it's just going to sit in a corner and mine away then saving every penny is the way to go.