• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Screwdriver slipped off HS and jabbed board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This has gotten very simular to a post a was just reading, duh. People wil be people and we're all different with varying morals, thank God, so some will cheat, some will fudge, and some will sleep well at night! Where do you stand?

thread originator: Sounds as if you got a 'deal' on the board to start with (from a buddy who copped it off e-bay). Might check for another deal and be a little more careful with the screw driver next time!

Timmybighands said:
Yes I did. I have to agree with everyone.

If everybody does the same thing, eventually everyone could loose the privelige (sp) of the RMA.... point taken

So what did you end up doing?

Forget about using a pencil lead.

The right thing is to either fix it yourself using a solded trace repair or use a Caig Circuit Writer silver based conductive trace repair ink pen.

You also should forget about RMAing it unless you give them a full and honest disclosure and they still agree to repair it for you. It's most likely still repairable if you just cut a surface trace.

Ended up selling the board to someone who can fix it and use it themselves. IMHO, they got a helluva deal. 50 shipped./

as for my first comment it was a joke... no one is that ignorant.
anyway i want to get to the point that for a user its over 100$ for a board, but to manufacture it msi puts in less that 5$ each board. although this does not justify rma stuff u break, it also doesnt mean that your the devil if u do. as the hackers manifesto goes, it would be dirt cheap if it wasnt run by profiteering glutons. in a capitalist world they deserve the millions they get, but is their job any harder than that of a labourer? they deserve what the need to survive, [perhaps a bit more.
another point is that if all of us rma what we broke succesfully it would be no more than a pin prick to the comapny.

but as i said before this doesnt justify it and it is still a morally wrong thing to do.

I disagree with $5 per board. This may be the components price, but there's a design price too. And it is not like coke, that you need to invent it only once in your life. any given mobo has say 12-18 months to cover all the cost of its design and production, plus profit, then you need to invent a new model.

don't get me wrong, it's not like i think MSI works for pennies, but it's not for 2000% profit either.

emilio

i see what you mean about the price, but as i said its still a pinprick

hypothetically thought i would be the person who decides that you are allowed to rma stuff you broke anyway to tthe company (meh)

I doubt that the components of a motherboard cost only $5. I'd guess a northbridge alone costs that or more.

$50 for a motherboard with a stab wound? I'd rather take my chances with a Newegg refurb. Lucky you, unlucky him I'd think.

I'd have to look at it first but if just the surface traces were damaged, it would be no problem to fix. I'd risk $5 bux sight unseen but that would be my limit.

I wonder what they would have done if you would have RMAd it and said "my screwdriver slipped and damaged the trace" You might be surprised. People appreciate honesty. A big company likes it's reputation and repeat customers...they might have still have replaced it for free, or a moderate charge.

Several years ago when there were AT&T phone stores...we bought a phone. A year or so later we knocked it off the table and broke it. We went to the store and told them "We knocked it off the table and broke it." They smiled, and said, "Thanks for your honesty." and promptly replaced it at no charge! ;)

$50 for a motherboard with a stab wound?

I wouldn't pay that much, you got a very good price for that board.

$50 for a motherboard with a stab wound?

I wouldn't pay that much, you got a very good price for that board.

If you broke it, dont RMA it, its YOUR fault it broke, not the their fault THEY made you a motherboard, YOU broke it, they should NOT have to pay for it.
Any Oh, it only costs them $5 dollars per board is irrelavent. RMAing stuff you break just pushes up prices in the long run, and makes companys go bust.

Back