• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sen's Burn-In Technique

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Got my 3000+ Venice two days ago, I'm trying Sen's burn in technique; this is a below average o/c'ing Venice, maxed at 2.5 GHz @ 1.55v, hopefully I will get get an "average" oc for this Venice when I'm done.

Well my Venice seems to have lost the awesome ovrclk i started with. Could do superPi 1m at 3ghz over and over, now it crashes occasionally at over 2980mhz. Seemed to have lost 20-30mhz.

So i will be trying this method to get back my ovrclk!!!

Will report back with my results

:)

I think ive hit the point where the stability is going way down on mine. it wont even load windows at more than 116 fsb, whereas it could up to 119 before. I found a program called the ultimate boot cd that includes a dos/linux version of cpuburn as well as a bunch of other cool utilities. It boots instantly without taxing the cpu so i can get it loaded. Im currently burning in the cpu at 121fsb with 1.85v. I hope to get it down to at least the default 1.75v at this speed before upping the fsb a little more.

Last edited:
I'm sure that any burn-in program works for the method, as long as it puts plenty of stress on the CPU to break it in at the burn-in voltage(s).

Imma start this technique with my pressy .. might get the ol' 4.2ghz outta it after all (4.2 is somewhat stable, crashes in games every once in awhile) Running 4.1Ghz @ 1.47v *BURNING IN* :D.

*EDIT* Bumped up the volts .3 higher so im at 1.5v, I upped the clocks to 4.165mhz, one question though, if you have one CPU Burn in open. .. would that do that job? W/E my cpu is under 100% load, it crashes within a minute ... is one enough?

Last edited:
xTrEmEoVrClOcKr said:
Imma start this technique with my pressy .. might get the ol' 4.2ghz outta it after all (4.2 is somewhat stable, crashes in games every once in awhile) Running 4.1Ghz @ 1.47v *BURNING IN* :D.

*EDIT* Bumped up the volts .3 higher so im at 1.5v, I upped the clocks to 4.165mhz, one question though, if you have one CPU Burn in open. .. would that do that job? W/E my cpu is under 100% load, it crashes within a minute ... is one enough?

Yes, if your processor has HT then you should run two instances of the burn in program to fully work the entire processor.

strappleberry said:
Yes, if your processor has HT then you should run two instances of the burn in program to fully work the entire processor.
Yea, and set them to disable error checking. Works like a charm

Make sure you run at least 8 hours of burning in. You may be able to get away with 4-6 hours, but it probably won't work as well.

g0dM@n said:
Make sure you run at least 8 hours of burning in. You may be able to get away with 4-6 hours, but it probably won't work as well.
8 is just a nice number. In actuality you can do whatever you want, so long as its more than like a few minutes

Whoops that wasn't very clear was it? It was in reference to this earlier post by g0dM@n:

g0dM@n said:
I also think that a burn-in every few weeks, if possible, would be a good thing to maintain the stability that you got from the initial burn-in procedure. I would not suggest lowering the voltage and doing the whole procedure again, but just doing a regular CPU BURN at the newest, settled stability settings overnight every few weeks. It has been known to help me, at least.

Ask Sen if he wants to add it. I figured that it couldn't hurt to do it overnight every few weeks or so. It's not going to affect you when you're sleeping. :) Plus, you can still keep up your IM program with its away message while the burn-in is running in the background.

Decided to try this with my 2100. It has issues with running at 2200+ with the 1.85 vcore limit on the NF7 v.1 it currently resides in. I have had it 2400mhz stable in my AT7 running 2 volts.
So, cranked it up a bit, had to reset the bus lower and turn the multplier up.
Ran some prime95, died after an hour, so, ran some BurnK7, I think it ran for 11+hours, ran prime95 again, primed for 6 hours then failed, so another BurnK7 run, I think this time it went for 14+ hours and primed for 8 3/4 hours this time before it failed.
Trying BurnK7 one more time and see how long prime will last this time.....
Even if it doesnt work, it is fun to torture the CPU....... :D

Sen, I was wondering what you think about my overclock. I got a MSI Neo2 Platinum, 2x256 Dell 3-3-3-8 pc3200 ram, and an A64 3000 wini. I couldn't get much out of it off the bat, but I am getting there now. My first decent stable setting was:

255x9
1.52v
133 divider 2.5-3-3-8
1.55 AGP
3x HT

I raised the HTT to 260 and it was a bit unstable when hot. My idle temps stock were 38C, now they are 42C. I am burning in now at 267x9 with only 1.48v. I am surprised that I don't have any errors yet. I would like to get 270x9 stable at the very least.

I am going to try and put some AS5 on the cpu and northbridge soon if that will help. Gskill value ram might not be too far off either. Also, I should note that with my side panel temps raise about 6-7 system and 2-3 cpu. Any tips to improve airflow. What suggestions do you have? I really appreciate the help from Sen or any other member. Here is a thread with a log of some of my accounts in it.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?p=3769679#post3769679

From 56 minutes until prime pukes, to 6 hours, to 8, now 24 and counting....

Simply amazing, I didnt think it would work at all, seeing as how Its been abused for over 2 years......:D

prime.jpg

EDIT:
Prime95 puked after 28 hours, not sure if it was my fault or not.
I put the side panel back on, CPU temp went up a bit then prime failed.
Running BurnK7 again till tomorrow morning.

EDIT:
Worked like a charm, 48+ hours prime95. From less then an hour to 48, nice.....:D

Last edited:
Romano3490 said:
Sen, I was wondering what you think about my overclock. I got a MSI Neo2 Platinum, 2x256 Dell 3-3-3-8 pc3200 ram, and an A64 3000 wini. I couldn't get much out of it off the bat, but I am getting there now. My first decent stable setting was:

255x9
1.52v
133 divider 2.5-3-3-8
1.55 AGP
3x HT

I raised the HTT to 260 and it was a bit unstable when hot. My idle temps stock were 38C, now they are 42C. I am burning in now at 267x9 with only 1.48v. I am surprised that I don't have any errors yet. I would like to get 270x9 stable at the very least.

I am going to try and put some AS5 on the cpu and northbridge soon if that will help. Gskill value ram might not be too far off either. Also, I should note that with my side panel temps raise about 6-7 system and 2-3 cpu. Any tips to improve airflow. What suggestions do you have? I really appreciate the help from Sen or any other member. Here is a thread with a log of some of my accounts in it.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?p=3769679#post3769679
I only rarely come to check on my stickied threads :( Just hit me up on chat with your questions.

How do you burn-in Memory? does burning-in will stabilize ur Super PI as well? alo im testing CPU Burn-in currently @3 hours and prime95 at the same time, the prime was running the memory itself not the CPU.. lolz 100% CPU load(CPU Burn-IN). and 574mb memory Load(prime95, CPU doesnt load)...

MicroAMD said:
How do you burn-in Memory? does burning-in will stabilize ur Super PI as well? alo im testing CPU Burn-in currently @3 hours and prime95 at the same time, the prime was running the memory itself not the CPU.. lolz 100% CPU load(CPU Burn-IN). and 574mb memory Load(prime95, CPU doesnt load)...

I been wondering how to burn in the memory proper also.....

If it entails when OS is loaded, what would be used for Linux?????

Back