• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't know what your using your server for. So that really depends on what you need too.

But, that seems ok for a file server. But if your hosting games or a website even, I would just custom build a cheap C2D or AMD x3 setup (<600$).

I don't know what your using your server for. So that really depends on what you need too.

But, that seems ok for a file server. But if your hosting games or a website even, I would just custom build a cheap C2D or AMD x3 setup (<600$).

$600 is way more than i want to spend.. Im look for a real chep system like $200 :)

That Dell would be sufficient (actually a huge overkill) for most tasks, however there are a couple points about it I don't like... first is the RAM, it's only single channel, and a dual channel upgrade is $20. Also the hard drive, their prices are absurd, but even adding a bigger drive on your own would be $60-80. So you're looking at potentially $100 more than the purchase price to get it up to a really good spec, and for that price you could build something similar yourself, but that has more expansion options. I guess it wouldn't really need the dual channel, but you probably would want a bigger HD.

Actually, though, if it's just a fileserver, have you considered an Atom board? If two SATA ports are sufficient, this would work pretty well.

Last edited:
so even if it is a bit high the free drive of the same size cuts the price in half.

Right, but, consider the fact that those are old and rather slow drives, and there are only two SATA ports available. (At least I think that's what "1-2 Drives connected to onboard SATA controller" means.) So with the free options he'd be limited to 320GB and would have considerably lower disk performance than he'd get from using a more modern 640GB or 1TB drive.

What is it being used for?

file server you can run off an old 486 if you want, you dont need cpu and ram for a file server.

Back