• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

seti + linux + slow

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LuKE

i'm kinda wondering how this os is actually handeling seti. i understand that i'm only runnin a 416mhz pII but man, it's been 4.5 hours and i'm only 27% done. i'm using the i686 version plus Xseti. i think maybe the prolem is that for xseti to run it has to start the clv in verbose mode which i read reduces it's completion time. ne ideas?

I don't know how much faster the Linux version is than the Windows version, but on my Cele400, it usually takes abou 18 hours to do a WU. I wouldn't expect anything under 10 hours personally (Though I've never chrunced on a PII or III).

JIgPu

well when i ran the command line client in winme i was gettin like 9 hour wu times, so i was happy with that, then the hd crashed, couldn't install nething other then linux on this hd. i don't know why but at least something is on there crunchin is how i look at it.

Is this the first WU you've chrunched under Linux? If it is, you might have just downloaded a high angle range work unit. Other than that, I don't really mess with Linux...

JigPu

Are you running a regular installation? Do you know if there are any parameters which can be set to help improve Seti performance with Linux?

I have looked at some of the links on the Seti home page, but I don't seem to find anything for Linux.

yeah i'm running the i686 version of the command line version for linux. i don't know of any commands yet. i'll keep it posted nething i find.

I don't know muck about running seti in linux, never actually bothers as linux is much less efficient than WinNT or Win9x engines (I know, a pact with the devil :) ). I just have my linux for fun, the reason I never got into it was that I couldn't get it to use the Internet connection sharing service run on my dad's box with cable modem. Couldn't convince him to go into linux...

And no internet = no life for me. Now I have a ADSL line on my own, things change and when I find some time I get back into it, real deep, 'm kay?

Times: best choice for PII is WinNT, 266's run 18,5 hours average, 300 runs 17,5 hours. The 300 does 20~20,5 hours in WinME. Hope this gives you something to compare with, none of the boxes are overclocked, the 266's aren't mine, and the 300 is a HP computer, which isn't overclockable (unpleasant mobo) but it is my home server, so I don't bother.

Good luck with Xseti! Hopes this works out so I can finally put the microsoft junk asside. We all need some alternative BEFORE XP...

Today I've met MacOS X at my work (only work on saturdays for special things, today we upgraded server OS from MacOS9.0 ->9.1), ahh, unix-based! Blessing. And it's beautifull too, the transparent desktop, 3d, all of it!

Back