• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Setting up SATA

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Intern

Registered
I've only used the IDE cables to connect my Harddrives, and now I wish to start using SATA for the performance I've been hearing about. I searched the forums and I couldn't find a step by step guide on what you need and how to install the harddrives. Also my motherboard came with a Serial SATA connector which I tried using but windows was not able to detect it. If someone has any online guides or a basic set up for using SATA I would very much appreciate it.=)

SATA-I hard drives are really nothing special (except the Raptor) compared to a regular ATA-133 hard drive. The nice thing about SATA is most boards come with a built-in RAID solution for SATA hard drives. If you want to know about RAID, see the sticky at the top of the screen.

The only drive that makes SATA-I shine is the Western Digital Raptors. They run at around 10,000 RPM (compared to 7200 RPM like most hard drives).

A newer drive spec, SATA-II has the same speed as the raptor; however, you need a motherboard or controller card that supports a special feature called Native Command Queing.

To get RAID, you will need to buy two SATA hard drives of identical size.

Can I run one harddrive in SATA while 2 more harddrives with the IDE cables?

yep, you can have windows on your ide channel, or you can have it on your sata channel, just make sure you have your controller drivers for when you install windows, and if you use your ide drive on your sata channel, make sure you remove the jumper on the hard drive

Back