• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should i upgrade? 2500k to 6600k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
in the MMORPG i play (alot. an embaressing amount) i went from 60*C with 85% usage on my 2500k to 45*C with 40% usage on the 6700k. That i am VERY happy with that.

As far as being faster.... idk i haven't done anything really that i'd notice much. Did some benchmarks and it's scoring way higher on everything than the 2500k so thats good, but outside of benchmarks. dunno. time will tell the next time i try to render a video i'll probably notice it a lot haha.

i got a bump in my games performance, but mostly the temps and less usage are what i'm liking the most

Sounds good glad you like it, what OS are you using also what do you use to measure CPU utilization?

in the MMORPG i play (alot. an embaressing amount) i went from 60*C with 85% usage on my 2500k to 45*C with 40% usage on the 6700k. That i am VERY happy with that.

As far as being faster.... idk i haven't done anything really that i'd notice much. Did some benchmarks and it's scoring way higher on everything than the 2500k so thats good, but outside of benchmarks. dunno. time will tell the next time i try to render a video i'll probably notice it a lot haha.

i got a bump in my games performance, but mostly the temps and less usage are what i'm liking the most

Keep in mind you're comparing a 4c/4t CPU to a 4c/8t CPU so in reality the usage is around 5% less.

Keep in mind you're comparing a 4c/4t CPU to a 4c/8t CPU so in reality the usage is around 5% less.

didn't know it worked that way... interesting

Sounds good glad you like it, what OS are you using also what do you use to measure CPU utilization?

win 10 and i use a widget add on CPU monitor. but i've compared it to the intel extreme tuning utility and it matched

didn't know it worked that way... interesting

That's the short answer. Windows gives all 8 threads the same percentage value even though the extra 4 in an i7 aren't equal to the physical 4 core's threads. Try disabling HT and test the 6700k on equal ground to the 2500k and see what the usage is (that is if you're bored and care enough to)

Wish i kept a pic from my old Zalman Z9-U3, i had a shoelace holding my old 660ti/970 to the upper drive cage to keep it level :rofl:

Back