• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Show off your hardware. New toys, old toys, current victims of hardware abuse.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I had the itch for a new GPU and finally scratched it yesterday. Picked up an ASUS GTX980 Strix. So far I'm likin it. Only had a short amount of time last night to play with the new toy and haven't found it's top end yet. So far on Original BIOS and no voltage increase I got to 1488 turbo core. I'm sure it'll have more in it. Stock it'll go to 1.21v and Inspector will give me up to 1.25v. Will likely hit power threshold of 125% before I run out of volts. Here's a preliminary run at that clock.
http://www.3dmark.com/fs/3173045

View attachment 156022
Congrats on the new card! VERY nice!

That should be fun, keep telling myself I am going to grab an AMD platform and never do. :(

Good luck, should be good for some boints

Edit:

A little old school action tonight

01 680.png

Attachments

• DSCF2156.JPG
    DSCF2156.JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Here is some of tonight's GTX 680 action , wanted to finish up with the 4850 but the driver install is kicking my a$$

O well guess I will go cook dinner

06 680.png

I have to make something in 3DM06. All my results in this benchmark look bad.

Today I put water cooling on GTX970. I'm not sure why I did it as it doesn't really need better cooling especially that I maxed out this card with BIOS mods already. Friend asked me to check how large has to be heatsink for power section and I already prepared 2 of them.
Btw, 45*C max in heaven on stock clocks. This is also kinda weird. I made couple of BIOSes. Modded BIOS for friend, tested 3 different GTX970 ... and my card is running on stock BIOS and default settings.

Last edited:
Looks like you had a lot of fun with those cards. nice temps ... I'm just benching some older cards now until the big dog get's released.

I don't think anything like 980Ti will be released before end of this year. More like end of January or later and better non-reference series 1-2 months later.

I would test something from older cards but I don't really have good CPU for that right now and most older tests scale mainly with CPU clock. Right now I have only degraded G3258 and 5820K which is running at low clocks. After 4790K RMA I got next 2 average chips and I sold them.

Witchdoctor, what is the big dog?? 390x??

The 980 Ti , the 390x would have to be pretty good for me to buy it.

AMD drivers = Knife to forehead , but you gotta love that you can turn off tessellation

I hear ya, my 4770K has seen better days, used to be able to run 01, 03 & 05 at 6 Ghz , down to 5.8 :(

Have to drop it to 5.7 for 06

Have been thinking about grabbing a new one, but most new retails are dogs

eh, I just noticed, ~2 weeks without special activity on hwbot and I lost ~30 gold cups, 20 globals, ~100 HP and about 300 TPP ... nothing like to have motivation , while pushing 1/2/3 GTX970 for 2 weeks I got less points than I lost in next couple of days

Till torturing the 2x2GB 1333/CL9 no heatsink €30 sticks...

They happily run@2155MHz/9.11.11.24.1T/1.8v (max that my MoBo allows).

They've been used at this voltage/frequency for 2 days. Not dead yet.

Even if i takes a few attempts to boot, once they're in, they are 100% benching stable (CinebBench, XTU...). They are not even warm to the touch.

Quite weird. I thought they would have burst into flames at such a voltage on air without heatsink!

CineBench R15 score seems still low though...

1011.jpg

Been playing a bit with the A4-4000 in sig and overclocked it to 4416MHz/1.52v, and the 7480D to 1450MHz (benching stable).

1144.jpg

eh, I just noticed, ~2 weeks without special activity on hwbot and I lost ~30 gold cups, 20 globals, ~100 HP and about 300 TPP ... nothing like to have motivation , while pushing 1/2/3 GTX970 for 2 weeks I got less points than I lost in next couple of days

I feel your pain bro. TPP's are like a merry go round.
Wish they would do away with them & reinstate unlimited hardware and top 20 globals and let the chips fall where they may.
But as long as the vendors are calling the shots it is not going to happen :(

They actually work to our teams advantage being their is such a vast amount of hardware being benched.
Keep fighting the good fight, it is a tough place to get TPP's with guys like Metal and Funsoul tearing sh1t up

@ Manu2b , nice kit for sure bro :thup:
Some CPU clock there and you will have some killer results

Congrats EarthDog, way to tear it up last night :)

Tried to get some SLI GTX 8800 action going tonight but could not get it to enable with my AM driver ?
Had to settle for some single card action :( wish I had a decent one, this is my best one and it is a total POS

Had fun beating on it though :)

AM 8800 GTX.png

DSCF2160.JPG

I couldn't resist another 5870.

Capture968.jpg

Capture027.jpg

Nice Metal,

have been looking for one of those in Lightning form with out any luck

Finally got around to this 5770, unfortunately not the best clocker :(

AM 5770.png

05 5770 2.png

Back