• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Show off your hardware. New toys, old toys, current victims of hardware abuse.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah, the invention of the transistor in 1947 by Bell Labs is often considered the birth of modern tech, but it was a janitor at Los Alamos Nuclear Facility named Alfred E. Neuman who accidentally discovered that if you don't have a Magic Smoke Safety Valve you can inadvertently create a miniature Black Hole, when he OC'd an electric can opener because his cat wouldn't shut up while he opened the can of cat food. He's believed to have been transported to California and some suspect he ran for governor under the name Jerry Brown. Gov. Brown of course denies this, but refuses to explain the nickname "Moonbeam", fueling speculation.

*snicker* :D

Yeah, the invention of the transistor in 1947 by Bell Labs is often considered the birth of modern tech, but it was a janitor at Los Alamos Nuclear Facility named Alfred E. Neuman who accidentally discovered that if you don't have a Magic Smoke Safety Valve you can inadvertently create a miniature Black Hole, when he OC'd an electric can opener because his cat wouldn't shut up while he opened the can of cat food. He's believed to have been transported to California and some suspect he ran for governor under the name Jerry Brown. Gov. Brown of course denies this, but refuses to explain the nickname "Moonbeam", fueling speculation.

omg...lmao! :p

Nice work Stephan and I was going to ask it that were the 9800gx2 you lent me?
Hiya Manny!
Not sure...it was random pick out of 3 (so 33.333333% chance it's the same one hehe)

Saw that one....great score dude!
Not sure why but my 3dm5 score with the 9800gx2 was around 20k off where it should be when comparing against others. Figure it had to be a driver issue but ran out of juice :/

Update/edit: You got me motivated hehe Have a working XP for z270 and might be able to run get the dewars refilled Monday so thinking to give this another shot for CC (might be tough given all the family goings on but, hopefully, I can carve out even a couple hours). Dave got the #1 sub using 340.52 so figure I'll try those.

Last edited:
Saw that one....great score dude!
Not sure why but my 3dm5 score with the 9800gx2 was around 20k off where it should be when comparing against others. Figure it had to be a driver issue but ran out of juice :/

Update/edit: You got me motivated hehe Have a working XP for z270 and might be able to run get the dewars refilled Monday so thinking to give this another shot for CC (might be tough given all the family goings on but, hopefully, I can carve out even a couple hours). Dave got the #1 sub using 340.52 so figure I'll try those.

You don't have a copy of XP that we can get from you for benching??

I didn't get much time playing with my i7-8700k before I borked it :( Is that a shot of the CPU @ 4.5~5.0 and the cache running @ 6.5~6.7??? My i7-6700k/z170 board will only let me run the cache at or below the speed of the CPU.

I don't have the LN2 BUT I do have some cold weather inbound before the New Year. I have a BFG and a PNY GTX-295 screaming to be Quad SLI-ed :) I also have 9800 GTX(+) and a 9800 GX2 for Quad SLI
I'm also getting a 2nd try with the i7-8700k (Borked the 1st one) and a z370 Asus X CODE to bench it.
I picked up some base memory for my i7-5960x Server that I have been working on for some time. I pulled the memory from it for testing the the bad i7-8700k. It's Samsung E-Die and has been running strong in my ASRock z170 OCF.
AIDA64 Memory Test #2.png

Last edited:
Thank you Sir! As always, just wish it was a bit stronger and that I was more efficient but just gives me more to improve hehe

Hi guys, here is my 5.2GHz 9900K with ASUS ROG MAXIMUS FORMULA Z390 motherboard. I may be testing 5.3GHz here soon. The AI Optimized and my Manual OC were pretty close with AI having less voltages since I was playing it a bit save with my OC voltage range. I would use 1.3v and AI would use 1.288v pretty close huh? Now AI never said anything about 5300MHz so that is were I will start testing to see if I can get a solid setup at those speeds. I already know I can pass 5.1GHz and 5.2GHz as I play with those with my professional applications and gaming.

Attachments

• 20181228_111016.jpg
    20181228_111016.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 144
  • 20181226_123708.jpg
    20181226_123708.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 143
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 143
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Gorgeous build!! Man...voltage seems excellent for 5+GHz! Can't help but wonder what that badboy could do with cold hehe

Really nice work!

Gorgeous build!! Man...voltage seems excellent for 5+GHz! Can't help but wonder what that badboy could do with cold hehe

Really nice work!

Thanks @funsoul

Yea room temps normally stay within 62F to 73F so those temps are base on lower room temps. Even at 75F in the room after hours of testing and gaming temps stay within acceptable ranges. I got lucky with the chip because the previous chip required 1.36v to stay stable at 5.0GHz but not sure since the Gigabyte AORUS MASTER Z390 motherboard was freaking out and went into a bios lockup were it will reboot non-stop trying to fix it self but never did.

If you notice the Vega Radeon Frontier Edition is because on my smaller M.2 it runs Hackintosh for audio production and such while my bigger M.2 Runs Windows 10. So far for audio production the system is working lovely and gaming too. On the Basement I have another 240mm EK PE rad.

Question, when you mean cold do you mean LN2?

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 129
I'm still waiting to De-Lid my second try with a i7-8700k. I was able to hit 5.3GHz @ 1.35v with 6c/6t @ 72c. This was also with a older H100i w/4 Delta 150+ CFM fans pulling 0c air from outside :) Increase the speed of the Cache also helps :)

That case LOOKS SOOOOOO EMPTY :rofl:

Ohhhh...was wondering what was underneath the bottom of the prior pic! Awesome!

Yeah...seems like it could be a nice ln2 chip!

I'm still waiting to De-Lid my second try with a i7-8700k. I was able to hit 5.3GHz @ 1.35v with 6c/6t @ 72c. This was also with a older H100i w/4 Delta 150+ CFM fans pulling 0c air from outside :) Increase the speed of the Cache also helps :)

That case LOOKS SOOOOOO EMPTY :rofl:

Yea true the case is a bit to big for this setup normally I would have a Phanteks Evolv but this is the Thermaltake Core X71 case. Got it for air flow and water cooling options. Now I may change the case eventually but for now it seems to work but I do want a Phanteks Evolv X badly or another mid side case. ;)

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Ohhhh...was wondering what was underneath the bottom of the prior pic! Awesome!

Yeah...seems like it could be a nice ln2 chip!

Oh yea I believe it would be a nice LN2 chip not that I would do that. I have someone who is interested on the chip because of the ability to OC high with low voltages so I been holding from doing anything else. If he provide a pretty good offer I may just let it go but hard decide if that is a good choice since the system is running nice.

Back