• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

**Simple Suggestion for Applying Arctic Silver 5**

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

a c i d.f l y

Everyone says they've had a hard time applying this stuff, that it is uber thick, and hard to spread... I realized this ten-fold when I had my AC on today at 65°C and the stuff was like rubber. Had to hold the tube under hot water for a little bit, and it makes it come out like slight sticky/adhesive water. MUCH EASIER TO SPREAD NOW! :)

....AS5 aint so bad now.

-Frank

I haven't found applying AS5 too difficult in the past, but next time I'm applying I'll have to try this. Thanks for the tip :)

I didn't think it would be as thick as it was either (@ 70* F). I used a buisiness card to spread mine out to a thin, consistent layer on Proc and HS.

I Still have enough for the old Dell L700cx, and possibly might also do my NB HS on the P4C800E-Dlx - any suggestions/tips for the NB HS?

Later :cool:

One suggestion - don't use a business card. Some fibers will mix into the paste. Though it will be negligable, your better off to use a credit card or ID of some form if you are going to spread it. ;) ...Or you could follow the directions on their website. :)

I've had no problem spreading AS5 as of yet, but then again, I've always let my heatsinks do the spread work ;)

Do you think the Buisiness Card fiber will have any noticable effect? I briefely thought about that, but it was all I could find :(

The tip acid.fly suggested works great!!
For me on spreading AS5, I like to "custom cut" a piece of stiff plastic.:D It makes the task much faster and more percise. Stuff I have used to apply TIM- credit cards, Ice Cream containers and my old favorite.. Floppy Disk housing.

how do apply it onto a p4 heatsink?? i mean where bouts do i put it i knwo the die is in the middle do i litterally put a blob in middle??? and how far do i spread it all over p4 heat spreader or what?? plus how thick (i have old owned amd's so p4's are new ground 2 me)

Phil

PHILIP1193 said:
how do apply it onto a p4 heatsink?? i mean where bouts do i put it i knwo the die is in the middle do i litterally put a blob in middle??? and how far do i spread it all over p4 heat spreader or what?? plus how thick (i have old owned amd's so p4's are new ground 2 me)

Phil
Here is the link for the applying AS5 http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm
Follow the instructions to the letter and you will not be disapointed:D

I definately wouldn't use just a blob in the center... " P4- About the size of an uncooked grain of short-grain white rice or 1/2 of a BB." And I may be wrong but just reseat the HS like normal, and it should spread the AS properly. "Mount the heatsink on the CPU per the heatsink's instructions. Be sure to lower the heatsink straight down onto the CPU."
This is what I am getting from the instructions... Put the correct amount of AS5 onto the center of the heat spreader, mount the CPU HS like normal.

Don't forget that the AS5 doesn't have to reach every corner of the heatspreader on the P4.

I mounted my zalman 7000alcu onto my A64 by following the official AS5 instructions word for word. It's working great as far as I can tell.

Alternatively try Jah's method for applying the similarly thick and difficult G-751. See PC Perspectives for the details, but basically:

Mask off a square on the HS where the CPU will connect (eg with masking tape).
Dab little dots of AS5 / G-751 across the bare part of the HS.
Take credit card / piece of clean plastic, press firmly and scrape across smoothly and firmly.
Remove mask...

Hey presto, perfect paper-thin square of TIM.

thta a good idea on how to get a nice square on the heat sink ill b doing that 2night as thats when ill b mounting it - sorry botu all the q's but how big should are be 1cm x 1cm?? or bigger?? and paper thin? i will b putting a thermalright sp-94 on it

Phil

Size: enough for the CPU core / heatspreader. Note that you don't have to cover all of the heatspreader, but the more the merrier. You should however endeavour to cover the entire core if it's a non-64 AMD (or old Pentium).

Paper thin: because when you've pressed down hard and then scraped off, you're effectively left with a layer of TIM the thickness of whatever you're using as a mask. I use Post-It notes (the yellow sticky things) but you can also use masking tape or whatever. As regards any residue left by the stuff you're using as a mask - doesn't matter as long as it isn't in between the CPU and the HS, but you can give a little wipe with a alcohol impregnated cloth if you're fussy.

For both AS-5 and G-751, tinting doesn't really work, so don't bother. The object with both TIMs is to minimize how much you work it. If you try and adjust the finish, you just end up mucking it up. Or at least I do...

Oh, and one last thing. Remember that both of these TIMs take ages to 'cure'. They both talk about taking 200 odd hours of heat to fully cure, and CPU temps drop up to 5C in the process. So if your initial results look poor ... fold for a while, switch off, fold a bit more etc. etc. etc.

I just squirt a little on the proc and heatsink and put my finger in like a ziploc bag or ceran wrap and spread it like that...then i use a double sided razor blade to smooth it.....works great, just another suggestion :thup:

Back