• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SL6WU IHS Removed! 4Ghz...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nikhsub1

Unoriginal Macho Moderator
Call me crazy and stupid :D I hate IHS's, the just are awful for cooling. I bought Fuzion's 12 cap SL6WU that did 3.9Ghz barely on my water setup. On my 2.6C, I have also removed the IHS over a year ago. The temp drop on the 3.0 that I just removed the IHS on was more like 10C, no joke! I think the thermal paste between the IHS and the core was bad... I knew there was a chance that the IHS would not come off at all, but it did. I would NOT try this on the new Z steppings or the 30 cap CPU's as I believe those IHS's are somehow soldered to the core. Anyway, I haven't tried any higher yet, but this was pretty stable... won't be able to do much testing til next week.

Attachments

• 4ghz.gif
    4ghz.gif
    15.2 KB · Views: 428
Sophisticated said:
very nice OC..what r ur temps
At 3.9 and 1.65V with 2 instances of FAH running at about a 27C ambient my core temps are reported at 39C

Man sometimes I hate the forums! (not really)

The carrot is dangeling just...just...out of reach...a little more...try a bit more harder....crap it topped out at 240fsb

Ohh, uuhh, where was I? Oh yeah, nikhsub1 you are the OC forums GOD!

that is NICE man
how's that 1.1ghz fsb workin out for you? :D

it's not stable at 4.1ghz is it??

Great overclock!

From the three 3.0C's I had, I did notice the 12 cap core getting a tad bit hotter than the 30 cap. It might just be the way I mounted my waterblock. Just one of the observations I made.

LtBlue14 said:
that is NICE man
how's that 1.1ghz fsb workin out for you? :D

it's not stable at 4.1ghz is it??
Hell no! But it is so far at 3.9 running 2 instances of FAH. I may be able to get 4Ghz stable with some luck.

Nice. Kind of a shame that the newer steppings have the unremovable IHS. A mature stepping of a 3.4C with the IHS removed and properly watercooled would be the ideal candidate for maximum Northwood performance in a hassle-free system.

dudleycpa said:
What memory are you using?

Congrats. Incredible o/c.
Twinmos with BH-5 modules... will only do about 240 1:1 though. I have some adata 4000 coming to test out.

Glad to see that chip worked out good for you. I was wondering how it was doing.

Good Job, and keep us posted.

coachphil5 said:
How did you go about removing the IHS?
With a straight edge razor blade. I don't recommend doing this unless you are prepared to totally blow your warranty and risk killing your CPU either removing the IHS or crushing the core with your HSF. On the Z steppings and all 30 cap CPU's the IHS won't come off anyway.

Back