• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLI GTX 970s in a Z68 MB - issues?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chuggowitz

I'm planning on buying a second Asus Strix GTX 970 to run in SLI, but I wanted to make sure that running SLI on my older P8Z68 Asus Deluxe won't cause any issues beforehand. My understanding is that it will run in PCIe x8 on what is effectively PCIe 2.0 rather than dual x16. My full system build is in my signature.

In case anyone is wondering, I'm planning on going SLI so I can max The Witcher 3 at 1080p or 1440p.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. :)

Recommended GPU is a 770. A single 970 should be more than enough.

From what I've been able to glean from everything that's been published about its requirements, it will run at 60FPS on a GTX 980. While I'm sure I'll be able to max it on my 970, I have concerns about maintaining a steady 60FPS (since I already have issues on that front with games like Far Cry 4). I've been planning on going SLI regardless of whether or not I need it to max the Witcher 3, as I have no plans on upgrading for a number of years. If it's only a marginal drop in power when running at x8, then I might just go ahead and order it.

I know I don't NEED to go SLI, but money isn't an issue and I'd like to (and I cringe to use this phrase) 'future-proof' myself. Thanks a million guys :)

Since it's more-so a want and not a need, go for it. You'll see good gains for sure.

Keep in mind, this could end up showing CPU limitations more.
Wouldn't be bad to push past 4.3GHz on that 3770K.

Keep in mind, this could end up showing CPU limitations more.
Wouldn't be bad to push past 4.3GHz on that 3770K.

Noted, good sir. Shouldn't be too much of an issue to get a stable 4.5/4.6 clock. Thanks again:)

Back