• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So fx4100 is a horrible fluke

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

maxlegends

Registered

so sad when its overclocked it pulls out 60% of its capability 40% gets bottlenecked even at 4.2 ghz...

one word AMD, PATHETIC - i was gonna turn it up when the piledriver came out with windows 8, but intel seems the most trusted thing to do.

goodbye

I don't see how you conclude that the CPU is bottlenecked by 40% from a 60% GPU load. Just b/c a GPU isn't at full load doesn't mean the CPU is bottlenecking it. A GPU won't be at 100% load at all times.

We need rather more data before anything can be taken from the OP.
Like, what GPU load, what GPU, what resolution, what settings.
Without all that we can see nothing.
There are plenty of 3d loads that even a 3770k at 5GHz can't get a GPU running 100% at.

This is actually a split off of his thread in the amd gpu forums, so not everything is said here. He was having performance issues in guild wars 2 with a 7970, I advised him to check gpu load with vsync off, which should keep the gpu at or near 100% load throughout active gameplay in most modern games.

If his graphics card is sitting around doing little over half what its capable of at peak usage during a game, its one of two things, its bottlenecked, or its fps capped. And his fps isnt high enough to be hitting a 60fps vsync cap.

Heck he wants Intel...let him get Intel. I g00gled video card less than 100% and it afflicts all cpus. He has not wanted to know different apparently, so I never argue with that sort.
They already know what they are going to do.

Are you talking about guild wars 2 Rgone, or all games? Because none of the hundred or so games I have run my 7950 at less than 99-100% unless I cap the fps or the game does.

I just could not help but notice all the skidrow files on his desktop. He is probably having problem's cause he is running illegal copies of the games :p

100 games?
That's testing one game's GPU usage per 2.2 days since NDA drop on the 7950. That's a hell of a lot of testing.

Personally, I've seen a few that don't load my 580 to 100%. Even with a 3770k or 2600k > 4GHz.

Last edited:
You make is sound as though it takes more than 30 seconds to see if a game will make gfx usage peak at 100%. Its not like I said I beat a hundred 50 hours games and my CPU never dipped below 100%. Are there times, say during heavy CPU physx, that the card won't maintain 100%, sure.

But off the top of my head, skyrim, l4d, l4d2, wow, crysis, warhead, crysis2, metro, path of exile, borderlands, portal 1 and 2, civ5, killing floor, lineage 2, and god know how many I can't think of right now will all peak at 100%. Some of those games could vsync cap on my 4890 but will still use 100% of my gpu if I turn of vsync.

Either way, I was just asking if what he said was specifically for gw2, because I don't own that game, and that behaviour does not line up with my experiences when gaming across random titles. But thanks for implying that I'm incompetent or a liar.

That's 15, which is a rather good start.
A 4890 and a 7950 are rather different beasts in power level though.

If you're offended by my post I apologize, it was meant to be skeptical with a touch of "I'm impressed", not offensive.

Well, I'm at work. I couldn't even tell you all the steam games I own, never mind what I've played the last few months. There's also both dragon ages, though only one is worth playing. Dues ex hr, which I'm still not even sure if I liked, though I did beat it.

And yeah, that was kind of my point with the 4890. I could cap l4d at 60fps with that thing, with power to spare. But the game will just go ever higher in FPS if I don't use vsync with the 7950. Borderlands I; distinctly remember testing, because with vsync on usage peaked at like 35%.

I've just never noticed a game that isn't fps capped in some way that doesn't just try to use all the resources it can, until it runs out of either cpu, gpu, or memory.

Sorry for the thread jack:)

Everquest - Inside the guild lobby with hundreds of characters around me

everquest-gpu-small.jpg

-----

Supreme Commander 2 - In a 8 player skirmish with cheating AI opponents with max build speed and max resource bonus on Seton's Clutch map, twisting camera around a lot

supcom-gpu.JPG

-----

Vanguard - Running around in Tanvu city, then run out the gates and out into the field. Notice how gpu load increases dramatically as i run into the field.

vanguard-gpu.JPG

Not trying to argue with trucker, just restating my earlier position. mmo's and big rts are notoriously cpu bound, not gpu bound.

edit: these are old games and im on a 2600k at 5ghz

So sup com peaked at 100%, vanguard looks to be about 90, and ever quest was way low at like 40-50. And even if they are CPU bound, that isn't going against what.I was saying really, since I was talking about cards not using 100% when they aren't CPU bound. Though that may have been lost since this started in another thread.

Yeah, it is. This all started because the op was getting 40 or less fps at 1080p in gw2 with a 7970ghz and 4100. So I told him to check his gpu load. It peaks at 60%, so CPU bottleneck. Someone in the other thread mentioned 80-90fps with the same card and settings with a better cpu., which kind of confirms it. Though mmos are really hard to judge fps on anyway since performance is based partly on current population.

At what settings? Always too many variables.
In general reading the FX chips do bottleneck some rigs more than others, depending on case cooling/ CPU/GPU cooling, actual GPU card, Motherboard and knowledge.
IE reducing CPU power appears (to me, from what I have read) to aid overclock performance while reducing heat.
Stock heatsink on the FX-4100 is supposed to be marginal. And it appears to operate as a dual core in some games.

Back