• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED-Bios update gives bluescreen

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

habbajabba

I have an Asrock FM2A88X-ITX+ mobo. Everything is brand new except for my data satas. I used atuning to update the mobo. Everything went well until I updated the bios last. It automatically rebooted as it did for all the other updates (audio, .net4.5, vga). At the last boot after atuning updated bios, I booted into the bios (maybe I shouldn't have?) wherein it then did the actual bios update. I can boot into bios fine, change settings, check for updates (there are none), but now when it starts to load windows it immediately gives me the bluescreen of death. Bios uefi defaults, nor using a previous OS image helps at all. My only options are to reinstall and see if that works, or give to someone who CAN fix it. Asrock does have a tech support page in bios too. I may give that a whirl and see if I even get a response.
Does anybody here have a clue what the problem could be? I should have left the bios alone but having done several other bios updates on other boards, not uefi ones, with no problems, I never imagined I'd get a bluescreen.
Thank you for any help or replies.

Last edited:
#1, do a cmos reset.
#2, try seting the bios up manualy
#3 and better still go to the asrock site and download the other bios and reflash it.
don't bother to update a bios unless you need to

Clear the CMOS.
After any bios flash you need to clear the CMOS. You will lose any presets that you saved. After the CMOS clear, set up your bios again. Standard procedure on and board, any platform.

I already pulled the battery to no avail. I did the reset cmos just now and now it will not boot at all. Plus it says to not reset cmos directly after bios update unless you first boot and shutdown normally. Of course, I read that after the fact and now it won't boot at all. Did I just kill the board?
I found older bios versions but am unsure on how to install them now that I can't even boot to the bios. I grabbed the dos versions.

that's the board I have and after a bios flash I just shut down and clear cmos, but i have never had a bios bork on it.
try a second cmos reset, pull the batt and move the jumpers, i move the jumpers for an hour.

Thanks. Ill try that. Board has power ok but the keyboard and monitor are now not recognized at all. Wasnt expensive board but the thought of buying another just to reinstall everything...
Ill post back later when I find out.

I made that mistake years ago, thankfully on a cheapo freebie. What's interesting is the 3.0 bios told me my cpu could be overclocked to 6.3 ghz lol. Not the oc menu itself but one of the lower left pane items. Not sure if it was my kaveri in particular or just the board itself lol
Thank you guys very much. Time to buy a laptop and a small htpc and forget about these big boxes you have to tool around with. I want to make mine an EXSi server anyways.

Last edited:
The hour wait worked. Instant flash requires a usb2 port and the file unzipped. I'm back on v2.5 uefi but still get bluescreen. When I built this board I did not go through any boot problems other than getting it to see the msata. Now with the msata loaded just the way it was earlier today it refuses to boot. I'm gonna try reinstall an OS and if successful will then reimage it with redobackup. If that is a no go, I'll start from scratch.

I've gone through the bios like ten times now and no matter what settings I use I get bluescreen.

On second thought, I'm wondering if the fact that the OS is set to performance mode and I used Atuning to get it to 4.5ghz, which is what it would say if I opened it up, is the problem. Bios thinks I'm at 3.7, and the OS thinks I'm at 4.5. It worked perfect and atuning did not run at startup. I never used the bios to overclock it.
I'll try reinstalling tomorrow if can, do atuning like before, then try reimaging to save time. Bottom line, I need to boot into windows, someway, somehow.

Last edited:
The operating system does not give a shett what speed you are at when set in bios. It is the O/S settings with crappy software that is what gets many into trouble for sure. You said Atuning does not start with windows so what the O/S thinks means nothing.

Did you check to see if the hard drive setting for IDE or AHCI has changed from what the setting was when installed. You say the bios flash did n0t work? If so then load optimized defaults in bios and ensure the hdds are set to what they were when O/S was installed and it should boot. Unless something has really knocked the crap out of the HDD or some piece of hardware has failed.

RGone...

G.Skill TridentX ddr3 2400 2x8gb

I'd pay some attention to how these are set up even at stock auto.

Blue screens are a product of software or memory issues. Seldom Cpu gives blue screens any more it seems. Under volt generally a hang... overvolt overheat is generally a shut down.

You updated bios? perhaps your Ram doesn't like it or the board/cpu doesn't like the ram setup at default.

Just a guess..... something to look into maybe?

Got it working finally after the extended cmos clear last night. Initially even though ahci was always set, every drive but my evo was listed as ahci. When it finally did boot, the evo was seen as a proper ahci disk. I disabled anything in bios which would hamper the 4.5Ghz oc or startup speed, used atuning in windows to oc it which displays correctly in bios as well (4491 actual). Also had to fix the date and time as it reverted back to last year when I built it.

All I need to do now is win update and then a redobackup. Thought of forcing the bios update now that I have a handle on it but the only real benefit would be a slightly changed oc menu as well as some greater cpu compatibility, neither of which I really need.
Boy am I glad. Thank you all for the help esp. Caddi daddi.

Back