• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Some info Regarding XP-1700 DLT3C WPMW

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks all for reading my tests on these 1700's. It did take a few days to test them, luckily I have multiple computers so I just slap the cpu's in and run prime95 and get back to playing quake 3 or reading etc. As Captain Hilts said, I used a Vantec Aeroflow for all chips tested. The temps do look very high, i'm not sure if the on board sensor is the readout in the bios or if it's reading off the cpu core but this same cooler on a KD7-E reports much lower temps with the same cpu's. These new DLT3C's do run much hotter then any other amd cpu I have tested, i'm guessing these chips are a new rev. but that has not been confirmed yet.

With any "WPMW" cpu xp1700 you are almost guarenteed 2400mhz with a decent heatsink.

Deathstar Wrote: " how about testing some twinmos 3700 on that abit? id love to see some info on that."

I would love to get my hands on some twinmos modules but in this part of the world, they are not soo easy to find. Actually the only decent ram around here that is easy to find is OCZ EL DDR ram.

Captain Hilts wrote; "Great info, thanks! Yeah I noticed that the "w" 0310 chips seems to be mainly in Ontario only, I'm getting mine later this week. "

So far I have only seen "w" and "x" in ontario, the supplier we got the "W" cpu's from had 500 pieces and sold out almost immediatly. Luckily we snagged about 30 of them before they all dissapeared.

Unfortionatley My THIRD NF7-S Rev 1.2 Died on me last night so I cant do any more testing right now. I think my boss is going to order another 20 or so xp1700's this week, If they are a new week or different cpu's I'll test them out for you guys and report what I find.

I was at 208 FSB last night on my NF7 testing dual channel out, doing memtest #5 loops on this cheap infineon memory, well I go into the bios and set it to 210 (I'm using 015 bios so no incremental steps) and the computer posts but locks up before getting into memtest. So I go back in the bios and set the FSB to 208mhz and go to save and exit. well same death screen came up and never went away "DO NOT TURN POWER OFF WHEN SAVING" just stayed there, this was with 1 simple change turning the fsb down 2 mhz! Needless to say I after I forced a powercycle the board did not turn on again. I cant belive I have burnt 3 of these boards out in less then 1 week.

So instead of swapping for another NF7-S Rev 1.2 I'm just going to wait for the new Rev 2 NF7-S. I think I can get one within 3 weeks, that should be long enough to order a bios saviour. Anyone in canada know where to get these things besides excaliber? UPS always burns me when I order from the states.

Lastly, to anyone who has a NF7 Rev 1.2 Be careful!!!, I would not get one of these boards without having a spare bios on hand.

Good info on the NF7

So how is that OCZ memory doing for you? Lots of people won't
touch them out here because they have been known to have
questionable business practices.

I've heard that the memory is just getting better and better
though.

Maybe you and I can work out a trade, some Twinmos for some
OCZ so we can compair notes.

Hey Actraiser, I heard about that problem with the nForce2 boards before. There is supposed to be an unmarked jumper that you have to short to get the board back up and running again. I'm not sure but I think most of the boards have it now. I will see if I can find the source of this info and will post it, or hopefully someone else can provide this info as I'm sure someone else has come across it before.

*EDIT* Okay here's a link to an article detailing the problem. Sounds very similar to the one that you're having,

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=8250

Last edited:
:clap: Captain Hilts :clap: ........ Thanks for that one ....you just solved a freinds problem and it just so happens we have an old duron floating around, If your ever in Tokyo beers are on him! :beer:

FarEast said:
:clap: Captain Hilts :clap: ........ Thanks for that one ....you just solved a freinds problem and it just so happens we have an old duron floating around, If your ever in Tokyo beers are on him! :beer:

No problem, I look forward to the beer :beer:

Which motherboard did he have anyway?

Captain Hilts: Unfortionatly the supposed jumper for 100mhz default is just a rumour, someone thought Abit was smart enough to include a jumper for the rev 1.2 nf7 boards because of an "unmarked jumper". This jumper just turned out to be for disabling power of your ps2 ports when your computer is shut off, you know like some computers even when powered off their optical mice still glow. The only motherboard confirmed to have this jumper is the MSI nforce board.

The inquirer article just points out the fact that the problem does exist (which has been circulating for almost a month now). I'm not sure if this can be fixed with a bios update because Abit has known about this problem for a long time now, long enough to release a bios with a fix if they had one. I still have hope for a new bios but will not tweak one of these boards again without a spare bios in hand.

As for the Duron 100 fsb thing, I only know of 1 or 2 people who actually fixed their motherboards this way out of about 50 confirmed dead NF7's. I guess it does not hurt to try the duron to see If i can boot back up but i am doubtful.

FarEast: Please do let us know if you fixed your friends board this way, I would like to compile this information of successful bootup with durons. I have scoured many different forums for success stories but most people end up having to hotswap with good/new bios from excaliber.

Iceman3928: My boss is pretty cool, he trusts me with testing tons of samples to get the best parts, because I design all his complete pc packages for him, overclocked packages etc, plus tell him what is good and what is not. So it's a 2 - way deal we have going :)

Thanks Actraiser for the great information and welcome to the forums.

It looks like these 1700's are hitting the same speeds as 2600 I bought last Christmas.

Any Bartons arrive yet?

Harvey

Actraiser said:
Captain Hilts: Unfortionatly the supposed jumper for 100mhz default is just a rumour, someone thought Abit was smart enough to include a jumper for the rev 1.2 nf7 boards because of an "unmarked jumper". This jumper just turned out to be for disabling power of your ps2 ports when your computer is shut off, you know like some computers even when powered off their optical mice still glow. The only motherboard confirmed to have this jumper is the MSI nforce board.

The inquirer article just points out the fact that the problem does exist (which has been circulating for almost a month now). I'm not sure if this can be fixed with a bios update because Abit has known about this problem for a long time now, long enough to release a bios with a fix if they had one. I still have hope for a new bios but will not tweak one of these boards again without a spare bios in hand.

As for the Duron 100 fsb thing, I only know of 1 or 2 people who actually fixed their motherboards this way out of about 50 confirmed dead NF7's. I guess it does not hurt to try the duron to see If i can boot back up but i am doubtful.

FarEast: Please do let us know if you fixed your friends board this way, I would like to compile this information of successful bootup with durons. I have scoured many different forums for success stories but most people end up having to hotswap with good/new bios from excaliber.

Iceman3928: My boss is pretty cool, he trusts me with testing tons of samples to get the best parts, because I design all his complete pc packages for him, overclocked packages etc, plus tell him what is good and what is not. So it's a 2 - way deal we have going :)

Okay, let us know if the Duron thing works. BTW, did all the boards die when you were at that FSB (around 210MHz), or did they all die when you tried them at different bus speeds?

Hey Actraiser,
It was really cool of you to post all this info. Curious, where are you located in Ontario? Does your store still have those 1700+ CPUs in stock?

Seems as AMD reached the peak with the dlt3cs. Got 3 of week 08 any any runs stable @1.775 and 2.5 GHz (water, 35°; NF2, FSB 200 dc)

Hallen: We did get a few Barton 2500's in, but they sold soo fast I did not have time to test them. From what I have seen with the 2500 bartons is that they hit around 2200-2300 on air, which is pretty good but for around $300.00 Canadian it's not worth it imo, cause the xp1700's can hit 2400mhz on air 99% of the time with DLT3C steppings.

Captain Hilts: I'm actually just gonna step in at work now, and test to see if a duron works, we got a new shipment of Abit NF7-S in, but they are only Rev 1.2 (not that it really matters that much, rev 2.0 does not seem to be any better, but maybe they fixed the Sudden Bios Death issue).

As for the boards dying, they all died at different speeds. The first board I killed by changing too many things at once in the bios then save and exiting (never change the FSB and Multiplier at the same time on this board). The second one basically quit at around 200mhz FSB, I set the range too high, like from 100fsb to 200mhz fsb and save and exit, then it died. The third one I was most careful about, but I think that I was pushing too hard at 210mhz fsb and the bios info stored in ram was corrupted, then when I made a change and saved/exit, the corrupted info from the ram tried to write to the cmos and it died.

So yes, these boards do have problems, perhaps we just got a bad batch, or perhaps I just expect too much from my hardware. Either way it's dissapointing . If you just want to run at 166fsb and are not really trying to wring every ounce of performance out of this board then you probably will not kill them.

Peridium: The place I work at is in Waterloo, Ontario. I'm not going to advertise where I work on this forum as I think that is against the rules plus it's just kinda rude, plus we dont have a shopping cart on the website yet. That is something I am working on.

Udate: haha noticed your in Waterloo ontario, my fault, yes we do have these chips in stock, check your PM.

Again a warning to all with these boards, do yourself a favour and have a spare bios handy if you plan on pushing it as far as it can go.

Actraiser said:

Again a warning to all with these boards, do yourself a favour and have a spare bios handy if you plan on pushing it as far as it can go.

How exactly do you flash the bios if the board is dead though? I'm just wondering because this is the board that I'm probably going to get.

heh i have experience with this, it happened to me.

wut u do is put the new bios chip in, put a boot disk in and start the comp. when your at the command prompt pop out the chip and place the old chip back in. then flash the bios and the old bios chip will work again.. very easy to do.

ya i would recomend a back up chip for anyone with the nf7, save yourself some anger.

Captain: Just got back from the shop, tested a Duron 1300 (100mhz fsb), no go, wont boot just as I suspected. So yeah grab yourself the Bios Extraction Utility and a spare bios from Excaliber.com, I have a new NF7-S again!, so before I start kicking this thing with high fsb/voltages i'm ordering 2 extra bios and the extraction tool.

This board is probably the best AMD board I have tested so far when it works :)

I really hope Abit does have a new bios ready that fixes this problem, apparently the Epox 8RDA/8RGA have a new bios that fixes this issue, but I have not been following the epos camp to well, this at least gives me hope for the NF7.

Captain Hilts said:

How exactly do you flash the bios if the board is dead though? I'm just wondering because this is the board that I'm probably going to get.

When I first got a bad flash on my 8KHA+ I bought the IOSS BIOS saviour. And hey - I love this thing. I use Winflash and didn't hav any probs with that. Flashing around Epox and Enmic BIOS Versions for testing with the kowledge even a bad flash will be now broken leg ....

Back