• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Some strange thing happened to my pc...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Limepie

So something very weird has happened to me or more precisely my pc. I've build the pc over a year ago and been upgrading it since then but with the last "upgrade" I ran into some strange things. It's all solved now but I actually am not sure why!?

It all happened after I purchased a Corsair H100i and installed it.
My setup atm:
Case Corsair R300 Windowed
PSU Corsair RM 1000W
Motherboard Asus Z87 Plus
CPU Intel I5 4670K @3.4Ghz
GPU #1 MSI GTX 760 (N760-TF-2GD5-OC)
GPU #2 Asus GTX 760 (DC2OC-2GD5)
Sound Creative Sound Blaster ZXR
RAM 2*2GB samsung and 2*4GB corsair all at 1600Mhz (next to be upgraded)
SSD Samsung 840 Pro 128GB
HDD #1 WD Velociraptor 1TB @10000RPM
HDD #2 WD Black 4TB @7200RPM
OS Windows 7 ultimate

So all of this was working fine till I installed the watercooling.
I plugged my pc in and it would turn on but I saw nothing on all of my screens I tought I did something wrong so pulled it apart (only thing I saw that was out of order was the USB header from the H100i wasn't connected to well to the motherboard) and builded it back up.
Just to test I only put in the first gpu connected one monitor trough DVI, turned my pc on and it worked first I went to bios to changed to default and then booted up my windows 7. It went to the flag and than my pc rebooted always. Tried installing a clean version of windows but got freezes in the install wizard.
I tought I had done something wrong maybe damaged something anyway I feared for the worst.
So I unhooked the gpu and used the motherboard display connector everything worked fine. Seemed wierd to me anyhow I ran a lot of setup's to test things.
And the only time I got this problem is when in installed my MSI GPU.

I couldn't believe that a faulty (or so i tought) gpu could cause this. But it really seemed that way so without that GPU installed in installed a clean version of windows, had some trouble there to so I tried it a lot and I got another freeze once there.
Problem was that the instal wizard couldn't make partitions and similar problems this wasn't solved by just leaving the one Sata port for my hdd in. I had to use command prompt in installer to manually create a partition. I booted it back up and after the first time I could. I turned down my pc and installed the first gpu in.
Everything was in booted up and second screen wasn't working idiot me forgot to install the driver got that fixed after quick restart it worked.
Next thing I did was plug all my Sata devices back in and booted up from my SSD. Everything works!!!!!!
Only thing different now is that the GPU's switched places inside but I've tried to do this before after I saw my pc worked fine with the asus gpu installed. Tried both sli and not sli then wouldn't work not to sure what the error was there.

So for now my problem is fixed but as mention I have no idea how or why and i tought you guys might be able to enlight me.

Limepie

After reading this, my eyes almost fell out of their socket. :rofl: You take problem solving to a whole other level. :p I am not sure if you're still in the clear. A few things crossed my mind.

Your SSD possiblly wasn't configured properly in the BIOS. The symptoms you had I had when installing Windows on my SSD since it wasn't in AHCI mode. Your MB BIOS needs to be updated after a hopeful clean install of windows. Than install the drivers for the GPU(s) and all the windows updates before you do anything else. I than would install all the other extra peripherals. (HDs, 2nd GPU etc)

Also, I believe you can't use different brands of Ram. They have to be from the same company, batch, timings and size if I recall correctly. I know theres a Ram Guru on our forums and hope he can shed some light on this.

AHCI mode was on everytime I resetted bios after first failure (and haven't touched it so far).
Hmmn never heard that of the ram but in windows it shows as 12GB so no problem i think and yes it's all still working properly just as it was before i installed the watercooling.

Just curious how do i take problem solving to a whole other level?

I just literlly spend a lot of time going trail and error t

Back