• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sony to lower price of the PSIII by $100! (April or May at the latest)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I got one of the earlier 40GB versions at WalMart last year for $250 and I've been pretty happy with it's performance with games, fah and BluRay playback.

I don't think I'll ever need more GB unless we install a boat load of games. Usually we just have a few favorites and when we tire of one, it will get uninstalled and deleted.

Im hitting ebay for a 60gb with the hardware emultion, but does anyone know if the ps3 makes ps2 games look any better at all, or worse? I saw complaints from 06 about how bad it looked but I heard it was fixed since then. The big factor is using ps2 games with the wireless controller which is a big feature.

2) You don't want a 20 foot HDMI cable. They make them, but its bad for the signal which apparenly degrades a fair bit with distance

After you said this you had me worried. Luckily most websites out there has said that the general accepted maximum length without signal degradation is 50ft. Many websites and people have said that they have no problems running thiers 100ft for those who have actually tried.

Because I have a projector that is 16ft from my wall and 9ft up on the ceiling I need a 25ft cord. That's pretty common from what I've been reading for anyone that has a projector.

I was going to quote the same section, because it's just plain wrong. When an HDMI signal degrades, you aren't going to see any difference in video quality, you just aren't going to see video. Skips and blips, not fuzz. 20 feet isn't nearly enough for this to happen unless he made his own cable out of phone wire or something.

I don't think I'll ever need more GB unless we install a boat load of games. Usually we just have a few favorites and when we tire of one, it will get uninstalled and deleted.

And if you do ever need more storage, you just plop in any old laptop drive, rather than having to buy a Sony-branded drive that costs three times as much as a comparable size unbranded drive. I'm looking at you, 360..

:p

And if you do ever need more storage, you just plop in any old laptop drive, rather than having to buy a Sony-branded drive that costs three times as much as a comparable size unbranded drive. I'm looking at you, 360..

:p
Well how do you transfer over the bootable OS?

Well how do you transfer over the bootable OS?

I don't know how they do it, maybe there's a small bootable bit in BIOS or something and they get the rest over the net to rebuild the drive? Either way, it's right there in the manual, they even tell ya how to do it :santa:

I suppose if you can net install Linux from a floppy boot file, you could easily do the same from a 4 or 8 megabyte BIOS chip.

I don't know how they do it, maybe there's a small bootable bit in BIOS or something and they get the rest over the net to rebuild the drive?

pretty much. The OS install files for the PC are saved most likely on internal flash memory. Though, at the sony support site, It appears you need to grab an update, and burn it to a disc, or put it on a USB thumb drive.

http://playstation.custhelp.com/cgi...duser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1189&p_sid=xMFmiIrj

A link for anyone interested. But the download is only for the update. The OS itself is on the PS3. After reinstalling the OS, just go online and download the newest firmware and updates.

And many people Dual boot the PS3 with linux. when the PS3 formats the HDD, it lets you create partitions. A simple google search will give all the needed instruction to install linux.

1) There's no more BC PS3's. Game producers wanted people to actually BUY PS3 games and not buy a PS2 with Blu-ray and anti-aliasing. They pressured Sony so Sony made up the excuse of "cost" even though the PS3 can do complete software emulation of the PS2.

2) You can't upgrade to a 500gb for "less than $100". The PS3 only accepts 2.5" HDD's, but yes you can upgrade the hard-drive to as much as 320gb or 400gb and not void the warranty, but it won't cost "less than $100" unless you're getting either a 160gb drive or a 250gb on sale.

3) HDMI doesn't degrade for quite a while. I did installations with 50ft cables and didn't see a loss of signal. Monoprice cables are win.

4) I wasn't impressed with the PS3, but a girl I used to date was a huge Sony head and called me a "retard" for not liking it. She got really mad lol. Truth is, the library decides. No system is better. If you like Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo, Ratchet & Clank, LittleBigPlanet and God of War, get a PS3. If you like Gears of War, Halo, Mass Effect, Forza, Star Ocean The Lost Hope, get a 360.

5) PS3 is a better multi-media center. End of story. A lot of people live and swear by Media Center on the 360, but the PS3 has WAY more format compatibility and user-friendly features. Upgrading the hard-drive is one of them.

6) If you plan on using optical for audio, the PS3 is way more friendly than a 360. In order to use optical along with hdmi on the 360, you either have to get their $40 HDMI/AV cable that comes with the elite but not the Premium/Arcade, or you have to buy a cheap 360 AV cable on Ebay because it has a thinner connection to the system so you can squeeze the HDMI cord in.

2) You can't upgrade to a 500gb for "less than $100". The PS3 only accepts 2.5" HDD's, but yes you can upgrade the hard-drive to as much as 320gb or 400gb and not void the warranty, but it won't cost "less than $100" unless you're getting either a 160gb drive or a 250gb on sale.

O RLY

500GB @ $99.99 free shipping http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148371

400GB is $89.99 free shipping http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136315

Several 320GB for $60-$70

Im hitting ebay for a 60gb with the hardware emultion, but does anyone know if the ps3 makes ps2 games look any better at all, or worse? I saw complaints from 06 about how bad it looked but I heard it was fixed since then. The big factor is using ps2 games with the wireless controller which is a big feature.

yeah, originally it made some of the games look REALLY bad (NFS Carbon for the PS2: The wheels looked like stop signs on the ps3, etc.) but that has since been rectified.

ACH! The misinformation is KILLING ME!

Ok here are some questions anwered, let me know if you have more:

1. The PS3s that will play PS2 games will upscale and use smoothing effects on PS2 games. The option to turn this on is in the XMB (Cross Media Bar, which is what Sony calls their menu system). As far as making it look better, it depends on the game. It did a great job on God of War, not so great on Kingdom Hearts and Max Payne.

2. In order to install Linux on it you have to either put the bootloader files on a flash drive or connect to the internet on the PS3 and download them. Then there is a an option in the XMB called "Other-OS" that you go into in order to boot into Linux. When you want to go back to the PS3 OS, then you go into a terminal window and type "boot-game-os" and it goes back to the PS3 OS.

Note, I have found running Linux on the PS3 to be completely USELESS. It folds, surfs the web and plays youtube/hulu videos and Pandora or Last.fm music just fine from within the PS3 browser.

I know of one guy here who uses his as a PC at college with a printer and Linux running Open Office but he is the only person I've heard of doing this.

3. Don't worry about swapping the internal drive on it even if you get a 20GB model unless you plan on downloading TONS of games and demos (which there aren't that many). Instead spend your $100 on a 1TB USB HDD. I've been using a 320GB MyBook for a couple of years and it's getting full so I may get a 1TB soon.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822204069

Ok thank you for the information guys. I am looking for a 20/60gb off ebay because I want to play the ps3 games wirelessly because of how the entertainment is set up in my room it makes it a lot easier. I figure they are the best versions and I dont need the wifi on the 20gb anyway usually wifi has terrible performane for games.

Are you sure a 20gb wouldnt need to be upgraded? I mean between all the games loading on to the hard drive and all the donwloadable contect I would figure 20gb would go fast enough. Wouldnt a USB drive be slow? It already takes a minute or two to load a chapter from MGS4 I couldnt imagine it any slower.

ACH! The misinformation is KILLING ME!

Ok here are some questions anwered, let me know if you have more:

1. The PS3s that will play PS2 games will upscale and use smoothing effects on PS2 games. The option to turn this on is in the XMB (Cross Media Bar, which is what Sony calls their menu system). As far as making it look better, it depends on the game. It did a great job on God of War, not so great on Kingdom Hearts and Max Payne.

It does now, but didn't originally. When it was first released, it looked horrible, and within a month, if that long, there was a firmware patch that fixed this issue. Dont act so condescending if you didn't experience the problem.

It does now, but didn't originally. When it was first released, it looked horrible, and within a month, if that long, there was a firmware patch that fixed this issue. Dont act so condescending if you didn't experience the problem.

Uhh, where did you get the impression he was being condescending or saying it never had issues at all?

Relax a bit :beer:

Uhh, where did you get the impression he was being condescending or saying it never had issues at all?

Relax a bit :beer:
when he said that misinformation being given he either completely ignored my post, or implied that I was wrong. Also, the way he worded it, it came across as though he was talking down to the rest of us. Also, just to clarify, my current tone is not argumentative, distressed, angry, or anything similar. I am and was merely pointing something out to try and clarify why some people were saying that there were issues, and to ease any worries of the ps3 still having the same issues.

when he said that misinformation being given he either completely ignored my post, or implied that I was wrong. Also, the way he worded it, it came across as though he was talking down to the rest of us. Also, just to clarify, my current tone is not argumentative, distressed, angry, or anything similar. I am and was merely pointing something out to try and clarify why some people were saying that there were issues, and to ease any worries of the ps3 still having the same issues.

He probably just didn't see it. I'm sure that the case with the guy who claimed you couldn't get a 2.5" HD for under $100 unless it was a 160 or 250GB 'on sale.' I don't think he ignored my post where I destroyed his point, just didn't see it :)

Ok, I wasn't being the least bit condescending or rude but if you want condescending then I'll give it to you..... If it was fixed within a month of release of the hardware then what the frack does it matter? I'm sure the guy asking about whether he should buy one IN THE NEAR FUTURE really cares about a problem that was fixed with a firmware update TWO AND A HALF YEARS AGO.

Ok thank you for the information guys. I am looking for a 20/60gb off ebay because I want to play the ps3 games wirelessly because of how the entertainment is set up in my room it makes it a lot easier. I figure they are the best versions and I dont need the wifi on the 20gb anyway usually wifi has terrible performane for games.

Are you sure a 20gb wouldnt need to be upgraded? I mean between all the games loading on to the hard drive and all the donwloadable contect I would figure 20gb would go fast enough. Wouldnt a USB drive be slow? It already takes a minute or two to load a chapter from MGS4 I couldnt imagine it any slower.

Slayn, I'm not sure I'm reading your post correctly but when you say wireless are you referring to the controllers or to the internet connection? The reason I ask is because the hard drive equipped 360 units also have wireless controllers but not wireless internet. I mean you did say that you didn't want to use wifi with games because of performance right? (btw, I had a 7MB internet connection and never had any issues using wireless, have 15MB now :D )\

Edit: reread one of your posts and saw that you did mean the controller but for PS2 games....

Also, about the USB drive: The PS3, like the 360 won't allow you to use an external drive for games or downloaded content. What most of us use them for is storing and playing DIVX movies or MP3s and for that they are awesome. When it comes to the swap file and for downloadable content, the 60GB if not the 20GB should be enough as the PSN (Playstation Network) doesn't have even a fraction of what XBox LIVE does. Playstation Secondli.....errr I mean HOME did take up several GBs worth of space, but it was entertaining for maybe 30 minutes at best. If you download a movie to watch, you only get to keep it for 24 hours so it's not like those will eat up a ton of space.

If you can get a 60GB for a reasonable price then go for it but I've seen the 100% backwards compatible models going for a premium on E-bay and Craigslists. I myself have the 60GB 100% backwards compatible model.... Oh do yourself another favor and get the dualshock 3. Even if the rumble isn't that important to you, the regular six-axis feels kind of chintzy in your hands.

Last edited:
Ok, I wasn't being the least bit condescending or rude but if you want condescending then I'll give it to you..... If it was fixed within a month of release of the hardware then what the frack does it matter? I'm sure the guy asking about whether he should buy one IN THE NEAR FUTURE really cares about a problem that was fixed with a firmware update TWO AND A HALF YEARS AGO.

yes, but he stated that he was buying an older model, and was concerned about issues that may have been present in said older model. As such, there is a possibility that the issue may be present in the product he purchases, but it can be fixed by downloading the latest software update. Stating this hereby alleviates any need for concern or undue worry should he happen to encounter the problem he is worried about.

And I believe that it was made clear that I have no intention of arguing with you or anyone else. the gentleman in question can take my comments as he sees fit. Don't flame me because Im trying to help and YOU were only giving partial information, which can be just as bad as misinformation.

Good Day :beer:

EDIT: as a side note, it wasn't until after, that the fact that you said "frack" really sunk in, lmao... BS GALACTICA FTW! lmao

yes, but he stated that he was buying an older model, and was concerned about issues that may have been present in said older model. As such, there is a possibility that the issue may be present in the product he purchases, but it can be fixed by downloading the latest software update. Stating this hereby alleviates any need for concern or undue worry should he happen to encounter the problem he is worried about.

And I believe that it was made clear that I have no intention of arguing with you or anyone else. the gentleman in question can take my comments as he sees fit. Don't flame me because Im trying to help and YOU were only giving partial information, which can be just as bad as misinformation.

Good Day :beer:

EDIT: as a side note, it wasn't until after, that the fact that you said "frack" really sunk in, lmao... BS GALACTICA FTW! lmao

Yeah, I love that word. Lately I've been saying FelderCarb as well....lol
Just got home from the gym and am off to watch Friday's TIVOed episode now :beer:

Hey tommy, congrats on choosing a PS3. A few comments:

Are you sure you don't want a model with wireless internet? You may upgrade your connection, if thats the problem, at a later time. When I was on normal DSL, my wireless connection was just as strong as wired.

Are you sure you want to pay premium for the 20GB model? A quick look up shows the run from $250-350. That's a lot for a 2.5 year old system, which has most likely been used a bit.

The deal from Dell just seems too good to pass up. $320 for a new system (remember, 1 year warranty too [2 if you paid with it with an AmEx card!]). 80gb will be plenty for anything you do most likely, and if its not, you can get bigger for cheap.

Regardless, good luck on your purchase. If you're ever looking for someone to play a shooter with... hit me up!

Back