• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SpacemanSpiff-Navig Project

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Did you use plexiglass for the construction?

That is a super clean install...

What would you charge to build a station like this for resale?

Hi, thanks for the compliments. I'm using the darker shade of acrylic available from delviesplastics. I can't really discuss specific prices or anything, but the approximate price I've charged is about materials + $100.

My next project will be for me--a competition "trophy" case deal, so I won't have time for any for-sale projects until thats completed. I always make threads about my projects both here and at the abit forums, so I'm not hard to find.

Where did you get the honeycomb mesh for the fans? I'm modding a (dead) subwoofer and that's exactly what I need!

Alright, I'm back with some updated pics. I'm getting a little lazy so if you've seen this from the abit forums, I'm simply cutting and pasting:

Dark and mysterious poses:

Offlidded7.jpg

Onlidded2.jpg

Onlidded4.jpg

Pics of the backside, or "bum" as the brits might say:

Pictures of the bum:

Offbackside.jpg

Offtrapdoor2.jpg

Some open pics to display the componentry:

Offopen4.jpg

Offopen7.jpg

Offopenbackside.jpg

Offopen3.jpg

Offopen8.jpg

Offopen9.jpg

For those of you who aren't in the know, the components are: e6600 at 3.42ghz (quiet operation overclock 1.2975v), Crucial Ballistix 1gbx2 at 900mhz 4-4-4-12 1T, x1900xtx (obviously custom cooled), Tuniq tower 120 lapped, Abit IN9 32x Max, 2x Raptor X 150gb, 2xDVD drives.

Check out the power supply cabling. Damn I'm good!

Offopen2.jpg

Remember, that's cabling for 7 case fans, 4 fan controller, 3 CCFLs with independent on/off, Abit guru panel cabling, 2 dvd drives, and 2 hard drives.

And of course, how it really looks at this moment:

Packaged.jpg

Because its going to be shipped out to SpacemanSpiff, who is going to put in his hardware and lighting--so we'll see a whole new interpretation.

navig

Wow. Just, wow.

I just started working with lexan today for the first time other than making windows.....and some of the stuff I see done on that just blows my mind. The dual-psu bracket i had to remake for my lian-li a10b, now looks horrid hehehe. :D

If you don't mind me asking, what tools did you use to make the holes n whatnot in the plastic, such as the cable pass through for wiring, as well as getting the edges of the material to come out so smooth and clean looking? Any certain sites I should check out? I am eventually hoping to be able to build a case of my own, and this project shows some ideas I had can be done. :)

Thanks for the compliments!

The pass thru's were made by starting with 2 end holes made with a circle hole cutter. Then I connected the 2 holes with a jigsaw.

Circle hole cutters are nice as they are cheap ($12), adjustable, but must be used with a drill press. Otherwise, you can use hole saws and slow patience (I've seen hole saw kits at Sam's Club for wicked cheap)--with a hand drill. Or, if the hole is small enough, you can use a unibit, another very useful plastic bit.

After that, it's no rocket science. The edges were smoothed out with a hand file, then sandpaper: 220, 600, 1000 should be fine.

I'm thinking about experimenting with flame polishing, as I'm tired of all that sanding--but won't work with polycarbonate, as far as I know.

Here's another example of the work. This was done with the best of tools: unibit, and a scroll saw. Took only 15 minutes!

Harddriveplate.jpg

Practice Practice Practice! Also plastic drill bits are awesome.

Back