• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stability problem with XP1800...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

turboalpine

Registered
ok, I unlocked my Athlon XP1800 last night and all seemed ok when I ran it at 11 and 12 CPU mutiplier and 150FSB, but the second I try and run it at 13 CPU multiplier and like 137FSB it reads as a Athlon XP1700 and once it boots into widows it is very slow hanging up for some time while the hard drive hunts. It will eventually stabilize but can hang up every so often. Is the CPU not unlocked properly or do I have a hardware issue? I do have a coup;le of old pieces of hardware to upgrade still. Here is what I am running now:

Athlon XP1800
Shuttle AK31 V3.1
512megs Nanya PC2700 RAM
ATI Rage PCI 128 Video Card(to be upgraded soon)
Onboard sound card(to be upgraded soon)
3gig ATA100 hard drive(new 80gig drive on the way)
Windows XP Pro
375watt power supply
Thermalright SK6 heatsink and delta 80fan

Any help you can give woul be greatly appreciated. Oh, almost forgot, I wil be doing the Doctors volt mod tonight and the CPU runs at 35*C full load.

turboalpine

Hi! Welcome to the forums.

Processors are limited as to how high they overclock. 12x 150 = 1800MHz, nothing to be sniffed at :D.

Try increasing voltage in the BIOS - it might help. I think you have reached the CPUs limit, think carefully before going ahead with a mod.

Hope this helps, let us know how you get on.

Ops! Sorry, that was 12x 140FSB. My goal is to hit 1700Mhz at least with this XP1800. Its weird how if I set it at 13x 133 it will boot into Widows and hang for awhile till everything catches up, but the part that gets me right now is how it reports the CPU as a XP1700 at this setting and at 11x150FSB it reports it at a XP2000 as it should. These findings are consistent in SIS Sandra as well.

turboalpine

Hmm. 12x140=1680.

Will the FSB go any higher? Can you reach 150?

Looks like the CPU wont take a 13x multiplier.

I also have an 1800+ I unlocked it and could only get to 1704 stable at 1.85v, I installed a vcore kit and upped the voltage to 2.2v and am now stable at 1792(boots into windows @1804) but not stable, at 1792 I can run prime 95 or anything else ,so I feel it is stable, temp with my swifty mc462 is 40c max:burn:

When it boots, bios set at 13X, does it show 137 @13X while it is
booting? I had a bad unlock and if I set to 13X it would reject the bios setting and revert to the stock 11.5X setting, which showed up while booting.
Does wcpuid show? does it show 13x 137?
Sounds like you may have to redo the unlock:(

Looks like I will have to redo the unlocking of the CPU. There is a problem though and I think it is the old 3gig hard drive hanging on a sector once booted into Windows XP. I tried my Duron and different RAM and it still hangs in the same spot, even with stock BIOS settings. Gets worse as you turn the CPU multiplier or FSB up. Once booted it is hanging that the taskbar is locked and you can't get into any part of it. If you let it sit for a bit the hard drive clicks and hunts every now and then and all of a sudden it crunches hard and it all works again like it should. This only happens on initial boot up. Time for that ATA133 Maxtor it looks like.

turboalpine

Sucess at last!!! Well... sort of.

The problem with Windows hanging turned out to be Windows XP itself. I downloaded the latest patch and the problem went away. My 800Duron instantly ran at the 1gig setting. Now to unlock the XP1800 and go for broke. Tanks for all the tips and ideas guys. This board is great!!!

turboalpine

Re: Sucess at last!!! Well... sort of.

turboalpine said:
The problem with Windows hanging turned out to be Windows XP itself. I downloaded the latest patch and the problem went away. My 800Duron instantly ran at the 1gig setting. Now to unlock the XP1800 and go for broke. Tanks for all the tips and ideas guys. This board is great!!!

turboalpine

Glad to hear you found the problem :)
Have fun!

Back