• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Starting OC on FX-6300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madman7

I'm beginning my OC on my new FX-6300 on a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 R5 Rev. 1.0. I first watched the voltages to see what core voltage corresponded with what CPU speed. I noticed that the vcore was 1.368v at 3817.5 Mhz and was 1.425v at 4118.9 Mhz. I am now at 3817.5 Mhz with a vcore of 1.368 set manually. One thing I found out about this board is the vcore setting is not added to the base vcore. It is actually the number you set in the vcore value. Some have stated that it's added to the vcore on some other Gigabyte boards but not this one. I have LLC set to auto. I haven't ran prime95 yet but will shorty. I have core performance boost disabled, cpu unlock enabled, cool and quiet disabled, C1E suuport and SVM disabled, CPU core control automatic, Core C6 state and SVM disabled and HPC enabled. Is there anything I missed that I should enable or disable? Any suggestions on what I should do\set in the BIOS?
I let you guys know more how it goes.
Thanks

You do not need Cpu unlock enabled there is nothing to unlock. With it enabled chances are you will not see any Package temperature readings in Hwmonitor if you're using it.

I'd start that vcore right at 1.4v and see how high you can clock there and check load temps.

You do not need Cpu unlock enabled there is nothing to unlock. With it enabled chances are you will not see any Package temperature readings in Hwmonitor if you're using it.

I disabled core unlock. What test should I run in Prime95. Blend,small or large? Should I do anything with the clock freq. other than 200? Should I adjust the CPU NB freq and CPU NB voltage?

Oooff! That was 10 minutes?
62c is the recommended cap, after 2 hours. You don't have much headroom. I can see you at not much more than 1.45v vcore max.
Can you clock higher at the vcore you're at now?

Capture.PNG
I'm now at 4.2 ghz at the same vcore. I changed the LLC to extreme and man it shot the voltage up to 1.488 and temp hit 60C before I shut down. I'm at medium LLC which allows the vcore to go from 1.428 down to 1.392 but stabilizes at 1.404. I'm running prime95 on small test which utilizes 100% cpu. Here's the latest after 15 min.

Capture.PNG
This is after 20 min on blend at 4.3 ghz. Now to try higher.
I got 4.4 with no change in temp. All cores fine after 20 min. The package temp peaked at 53C.

Last edited:
Capture.PNG
Went to 4.5 and had to bump the vcore twice so core #4 wouldn't fail. Here's what I got at 4.5. Can I add some NB core voltage and bring down the vcore and temps? What about some clock freq.? Open for suggestions. I may just figure that 4.5 is it. #4 dropped after 25 min. These pics were at 20 min.

Last edited:
Try setting your llc up 1 from medium. Doesn't look like your gonna get much further than a target voltage of 1.45 CPU/nb voltage can help with stability. What is it default at?

Last edited:
Try setting your llc up 1 from medium. Doesn't look like your gonna get much further than a target voltage of 1.45 CPU/no voltage can help with stability. What is it default at?
Agreed, you're still getting a bit of voltage droop. If you're dropping cores at 25 min it's not stable. At this point I would try and get it to pass 2 hours of Prime Blend, just so you have a known stable Oc before you try and push further. So either drop it down to 4.4 and see if it will pass 2 hours or leave it here and add voltage to get it to do so.

@ Madman - it's here.:D
Might have to give it a little test run. Thanks again.

Try setting your llc up 1 from medium. Doesn't look like your gonna get much further than a target voltage of 1.45 CPU/nb voltage can help with stability. What is it default at?

The NB voltage is 1.175. I went back to 4.4 but haven't run more than 30 to 40 mins of prime. I dropped the vcore where I had it when it was running at 4.4.I think the vcore is at 1.428. The next setting on LLC is extreme. That may be too much.

- - - Updated - - -

@ Madman - it's here.:D
Might have to give it a little test run. Thanks again.

You're welcome.
Let me know how it goes!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed, you're still getting a bit of voltage droop. If you're dropping cores at 25 min it's not stable. At this point I would try and get it to pass 2 hours of Prime Blend, just so you have a known stable Oc before you try and push further. So either drop it down to 4.4 and see if it will pass 2 hours or leave it here and add voltage to get it to do so.

I put it back to 4.4. I'll run it when I get home to see how it does.

Back