• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Steam DVD games: can you sell them?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Because books, manuals, and magazines, you are not paying for the licensing to use them. You are paying for the physical book. Whereas with Steam/Origin etc, you are paying for the license to use it. Now, with consoles, you are paying to OWN the game. See the lease/rent analogy I mentioned earlier. I can lease or rent a car, but can't sell it. But if I buy it, I can do as I please. The difference is in what you are actually buying as far as I know...But truly, I do not know too terribly much about it. I just recall this discussion from a decade ago, and it occasionally gets rehashed, like now, and it brings back some scary memories of a scratched record, LOL! Its completely a non issue to me as I do not sell games, nor care to. I honestly play like 2-3 games (BF4, Grid 2), so this issue isn't exactly front burner stuff to a middle aged married man... lol!

It's not like I'm using these old games. Hell, most new games are about as deep as a finger bowl so after it's ten hours of entertainment time are used up, there's no point in owning it anymore (or playing it).

What would you say if you could no longer sell used movies, or "used" music? Because you "licensed it" instead of buying it?

Does Origin and Xbox Live also disallow selling used PC games?

I can sell/buy used copies of Windoze 7 and Windoze XP but not a freakin' video game?

Valve is being sued in the EU for their terms of service regarding used PC games:

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/game-indu...o-sell-our-used-games-on-steam-in-the-future/

I hope they stick it to the fat greedy bastage and his company.

... but maybe Gabe's greed got the best of him.

...It's painfully obvious why valve did this as well.

Valve's 2 most successful games are Free to Play (Team Fortress 2 and DOTA 2).

What would you say is the "painfully obvious" reason that Valve offers an amazing free option to purchase and download games without ever leaving your desk, which is apparently a personal affront on all of gamingdom?

I am not sure about Origin... again, not my area of expertise.

I don't care, I don't resell games, and never will even if I could. So this doesn't bother me in the least. I knew what I was getting into when I bought the 'games' on Steam, so, I am cool with it. The convenience of them being in the cloud for me to use on any PC I choose when I am logged in far outweighs having physical media in hand or its resale value.

I do understand your thought process though. :)

Steam has done a lot for the PC gaming community. It is really awesome such a system exists and nobody else has been able to duplicate it. Hell, I can install Steam/my steam games on as many systems as I want. I've done a lot, and haven't reached any imposed limit yet. That alone is awesome.

Last edited:
eBay is really only a market for either much older PC games...or brand new ones that are unopened.

I bought Stalker and Stalker:CoP off of ebay, used. Ditto for Dead Space, Dead Space 2 and Windows 7. I'm sure if I had been forced to buy them off steam they would've been more expensive. There are literally hundreds of pages for used 360 games, maybe there would be more for PC games too, if you weren't prohibited from buying them used by greedy, monopolizing ********. Why don't we just call the ban on selling used video games for what it is? A monopoly. A deliberate act to exclude sellers from the marketplace.

Valve's 2 most successful games are Free to Play (Team Fortress 2 and DOTA 2).

What would you say is the "painfully obvious" reason that Valve offers an amazing free option to purchase and download games without ever leaving your desk, which is apparently a personal affront on all of gamingdom?

I remember when Steam first came out, there was this one guy at a LAN party who was trenchantly opposed to it. Why? "Control" was his answer. No one believed him. Now I do.

You know what I also don't particularly like about valve? I don't like wanting to play a game for say 15 minutes, or just start up a game to check something out, then steam coming back and telling me I have to re-authorize, or login, or download updates, when to tell the truth, I couldn't care less what steam/valve/Gabe want to do.

At least origin doesn't pull the kinda crap valve/steam does -- at least not yet.

I bought Stalker and Stalker:CoP off of ebay, used. Ditto for Dead Space, Dead Space 2 and Windows 7. I'm sure if I had been forced to buy them off steam they would've been more expensive. There are literally hundreds of pages for used 360 games, maybe there would be more for PC games too, if you weren't prohibited from buying them used by greedy, monopolizing ********. Why don't we just call the ban on selling used video games for what it is? A monopoly. A deliberate act to exclude sellers from the marketplace.

The developers of the game only get paid once for it if you buy it second hand. If you care at all about the industry continuing to produce quality products and put food on people's tables, you need to buy legitimate copies of games.

And Steam is not a greedy monopolizing *******... I have purchased a dozen or more AAA titles (Saints Row the Third, Dead Space, Stalker, Bioshock Infinite, Dark Souls, Just Cause 2, Borderlands, Devil May Cry, Skyrim, Far Cry 2, Batman Arkham Asylum, GRID, DIRT 3, etc) for $10 or less in Steam sales over the last 2 or 3 years. Plus a huge host of Free to Play games I have put hundreds of hours into (Planetside 2, Soldier Front 2, Super Monday Night Combat, Team Fortress 2, DOTA 2, Gotham City Imposters, and DC Universe Online) are readily available even if you never spent a penny on Steam.

If you choose to pay $60 for a game, more power to you. But don't get pissy when you can't sell it for $20 down the road when you clicked agree, and for all intents and purposes signed a contract saying you were prohibited by law to resell it.

@ Mag - What are they controlling though? The ability for you to resell the game? What else are they controlling that you agree with this person?

Steam updates when it loads in windows. In order to play steam games, you need to start steam anyway, to which it will then update, BEFORE you are in a game. Game updates without steam/origin, will generally not let you play without updating first anyway. Also, I don't think I have been kicked out of steam and had to sign in again unless I lost my internet or manually signed out, which is of course, no fault of Steam.

So wait, where did we confirm Origin doesn't do the same thing? I don't see any posts between when you didn't know and now... ?

I bought Stalker and Stalker:CoP off of ebay, used. Ditto for Dead Space, Dead Space 2 and Windows 7
Outside of windows, which big balls to you for buying windows off ebay..., those old arse games can be found for DIRT cheap on Steam. Google humble bundle, either here at this site or on the web). I think I recently paid $10 ($5 was the minimum, I gave more) for Crysis 2, Dead Space 2, and a couple of other games. They run deals ALL THE TIME...

The developers of the game only get paid once for it if you buy it second hand. If you care at all about the industry continuing to produce quality products and put food on people's tables, you need to buy legitimate copies of games.

And Steam is not a greedy monopolizing *******... I have purchased a dozen or more AAA titles (Saints Row the Third, Dead Space, Stalker, Bioshock Infinite, Dark Souls, Just Cause 2, Borderlands, Devil May Cry, Skyrim, Far Cry 2, Batman Arkham Asylum, GRID, DIRT 3, etc) for $10 or less in Steam sales over the last 2 or 3 years. Plus a huge host of Free to Play games I have put hundreds of hours into (Planetside 2, Soldier Front 2, Super Monday Night Combat, Team Fortress 2, DOTA 2, Gotham City Imposters, and DC Universe Online) are readily available even if you never spent a penny on Steam.

If you choose to pay $60 for a game, more power to you. But don't get pissy when you can't sell it for $20 down the road when you clicked agree, and for all intents and purposes signed a contract saying you were prohibited by law to resell it.

Hopefully Germany will stick the valve agreement back up their bunghole where it belongs.

Funnily enough sunshine, once I opened the game I wasn't allowed to return it.

And that is at your own risk. Hoping the cd key/any registration involved works. I would sure as hell not buy Windows 7 used.

You know what I also don't particularly like about valve? I don't like wanting to play a game for say 15 minutes, or just start up a game to check something out, then steam coming back and telling me I have to re-authorize, or login, or download updates, when to tell the truth, I couldn't care less what steam/valve/Gabe want to do.

I find this extremely hard to believe. Steam even pauses all downloads the moment you launch a game.

What are they controlling though? The ability for you to resell the game? What else are they controlling that you agree with this person?

Steam updates when it loads in windows. In order to play steam games, you need to start steam anyway, to which it will then update, BEFORE you are in a game. Game updates without steam/origin, will generally not let you play without updating first anyway. Also, I don't think I have been kicked out of steam and had to sign in again unless I lost my internet or manually signed out, which is of course, no fault of Steam.

So wait, where did we confirm Origin doesn't do the same thing? I don't see any posts between when you didn't know and now... ?

Origin doesn't do the same thing. I haven't logged into Origin in 6 months or more, but I can still play Crysis 3.

If the only venue which can sell used steam PC games is steam, doesn't that constitute a monopoly?

I remember when Steam first came out, there was this one guy at a LAN party who was trenchantly opposed to it. Why? "Control" was his answer. No one believed him. Now I do.

At least origin doesn't pull the kinda crap valve/steam does -- at least not yet.

lol, NOW you believe him?

You know what I particularly like about Valve?
Sales never happened on PC games prior.
Old games just sat there at regular retail prices and never got played.
Now if you can wait, you can pick up triple A titles for $5.00(and you get to keep it forever), which is way cheaper than buying a new game and selling it when your done.

I for one love steam

And that is at your own risk. Hoping the cd key/any registration involved works. I would sure as hell not buy Windows 7 used.

I find this extremely hard to believe. Steam even pauses all downloads the moment you launch a game.

It worked, so your point is moot.

Steam doesn't pause the downloads for a game you want to play, it gives you the option to launch when the updates are complete.

You can't sell your games on steam, period. So no, not a monopoly. Steam and Origin = competition.

Stop moving the goalposts! We are talking about the ability to sell games, not log out and back on and play a game???

I can log in to steam or origin and play a game. You have to update Origin too... and perhaps the game. Nothing changes there... Not sure what you are saying there.
EDIT: Ohhhhhhhhh wait... you mean an offline mode? I think Steam has that too?

Steam doesn't pause the downloads for a game you want to play, it gives you the option to launch when the updates are complete.
You misunderstood what he was saying there. He is saying if you are DLing a game and want to play another it will pause the DL (I think that is what he was getting at) or at least throttle it. I don't recall it doing that, but never paid attention either, LOL!

Origin doesn't do the same thing. I haven't logged into Origin in 6 months or more, but I can still play Crysis 3.

If the only venue which can sell used steam PC games is steam, doesn't that constitute a monopoly?

steam also has an offline mode...

It worked, so your point is moot.

Remember that when microsoft blacklists the key in 6 months. I bought a key from ebay for $13. Then MS got wind of the msdn keys that were being sold and blacklisted them all.

I knew what I was getting into when I bought the key though. I knew there was no way it was legit.

Remember that when microsoft blacklists the key in 6 months. I bought a key from ebay for $13. Then MS got wind of the msdn keys that were being sold and blacklisted them all.

I knew what I was getting into when I bought the key though. I knew there was no way it was legit.

I don't have a key, I have the entire retail package w/MS
COA.

You can't sell your games on steam, period. So no, not a monopoly. Steam and Origin = competition.

I can't sell used steam games ANYWHERE. Not on steam, not on ebay, not out of the back of my car. I can't even give them away. That's a monopoly, because they're excluding other sellers of the same product for no other reason than it cuts into their profit margins.

I hope Germany reams them.

while there are some steam games that are exclusives the vast majority you can buy outside of steam. also it is the developers choice to put their game on Steam its not like they cant put it anywhere else and are forced to use steam.. So again, no monopoly.

Edit: and you are not forced to buy a game through steam either.

Last edited:
Back