• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Steam DVD games: can you sell them?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'll bet the RIAA would love to implement steam's monopoly WRT used music.

The main thing I have against steam and used games is that I can't even give them away (at least according to the steam threads I've read). I doubt I've played 40 hours of COD:MW4 and I doubt I'll play even that much of COD: Ghosts. What I used to do is I'd trade away these games or just give them away. Well this and the fact that it's only a ploy to squeeze more profit out of the consumer -- as MS made clear when they tried to foist this crap on Xbone users.

You are a scratched record megellan...we know your stance. And honestly, I wouldn't have bumped this for your own sake, LOL!

And for at least the 5th time in this thread: STEAM IS NOT A MONOPOLY!

See post #40, #52, #61, and others for reasons why it is not a monopoly. Saying its so several times in a thread doesn't make it so, LOL!

Last edited:
You are a scratched record megellan...we know your stance. And honestly, I wouldn't have bumped this for your own sake, LOL!

And for at least the 5th time in this thread: STEAM IS NOT A MONOPOLY!

See post #40 and #52.

I guess it all depends on whether or not I have the exact same product
for sale as is available on steam. If I have the exact same product and I
can't sell it for no other reason than it reduces steam's profit margins that
sounds like a monopoly to me.

OBVIOUSLY, the German government disagrees with you, otherwise they
would not have brought a lawsuit against Valve for just this issue. If they win, will you be eating crow then, or will I?

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/02/01/v...-group-because-steam-users-cant-resell-games/

Last edited:
Obviously? I do not believe their lawsuit is not about Steam being a monopoly. It is about having the ability to sell the licenses for the games!!!

Here are the google results for "steam being sued":https://www.google.com/search?q=ste...7&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

I do not think (but cannot confirm as these are 'game' sites blocked at the office), that any of these mention Steam being a monopoly. Again, Origin exists...a direct competitor to them doing the SAME. EXACT. THINGS. Not to mention pricing is on par, and the sales on Steam are arguably second to none.

Can you tell me how it is a monopoly if there is direct competition and no price fixing? What am I missing here that you seem to have a firm hold of (but wont share)?

You can't sell something you don't own, it's that simple.

Germany's federal court ruled in yours and Valve's favor:

http://www.gamepolitics.com/2014/02...cerning-used-digital-games-sales#.UwT6Ls5EEvo

According to the web site for law firm Osborne Clarke, the results of the German court case against Valve for not allowing Steam accounts to be transferred or the ability to sell pre-owned Steam games are in. The German consumer advocacy group vzbv (Verbraucherzentrale Bundesverband) sued Valve over this a few years ago, but a 2012 ruling from the European Opinion concluded that the doctrine of exhaustion also applied to digitally distributed computer software. This inspired the group to try again, but the German court once again sided with Valve Software.

Law firm Osborne Clarke explains why the German court sided with Valve and if this ruling is at odds with Court of Justice of the European Union case law related to the issue:

German consumer watchdog group Verbraucherzentrale Bundesverband argued that if copyright law, through the doctrine of exhaustion, allowed the resale of used computer game DVDs, then a clause in a standard contract restricting the transfer of the online account necessary to play the game was at odds with the basic principles of statutory law and therefore unreasonable, abusive and, ultimately, unenforceable,

So is the Regional Court of Berlin going against Court of Justice of the European Union case law? Not quite. The judges’ comments at the oral hearing held a few days before the verdict transpired do indicate that they do not consider the doctrine of exhaustion to be applicable to digitally distributed computer games at all.

Even as far as physically distributed games are concerned, and the doctrine of exhaustion must indubitably be applied, the court seems to agree with the BGH that the doctrine of exhaustion does not render the no-transfer clauses in Valve’s terms of service unenforceable.

For video game industry stakeholders in Germany, the EU and beyond, this ruling may not be entirely surprising. It is another strong signal that digital and hybrid distribution strategies limiting the potential for software piracy and protecting distribution networks against grey imports are feasible and the contractual clauses implementing them will be enforced by the courts.

Last edited:
You can trade your software with other steam users, but afaik you cant sell anything, unless maybe your account, wich Im sure would be in some sort of violation.

Germany's federal court ruled in yours and Valve's favor:

http://www.gamepolitics.com/2014/02...cerning-used-digital-games-sales#.UwT6Ls5EEvo

According to the web site for law firm Osborne Clarke, the results of the German court case against Valve for not allowing Steam accounts to be transferred or the ability to sell pre-owned Steam games are in. The German consumer advocacy group vzbv (Verbraucherzentrale Bundesverband) sued Valve over this a few years ago, but a 2012 ruling from the European Opinion concluded that the doctrine of exhaustion also applied to digitally distributed computer software. This inspired the group to try again, but the German court once again sided with Valve Software.

Law firm Osborne Clarke explains why the German court sided with Valve and if this ruling is at odds with Court of Justice of the European Union case law related to the issue:

German consumer watchdog group Verbraucherzentrale Bundesverband argued that if copyright law, through the doctrine of exhaustion, allowed the resale of used computer game DVDs, then a clause in a standard contract restricting the transfer of the online account necessary to play the game was at odds with the basic principles of statutory law and therefore unreasonable, abusive and, ultimately, unenforceable,

So is the Regional Court of Berlin going against Court of Justice of the European Union case law? Not quite. The judges’ comments at the oral hearing held a few days before the verdict transpired do indicate that they do not consider the doctrine of exhaustion to be applicable to digitally distributed computer games at all.

Even as far as physically distributed games are concerned, and the doctrine of exhaustion must indubitably be applied, the court seems to agree with the BGH that the doctrine of exhaustion does not render the no-transfer clauses in Valve’s terms of service unenforceable.

For video game industry stakeholders in Germany, the EU and beyond, this ruling may not be entirely surprising. It is another strong signal that digital and hybrid distribution strategies limiting the potential for software piracy and protecting distribution networks against grey imports are feasible and the contractual clauses implementing them will be enforced by the courts.

If they win, will you be eating crow then, or will I?
In this case, you. This does not bother me, or a lot of other users (at least in this thread). Cheers. :)

crow.jpeg

There is Steam, Origin and Ubisoft has there own also called U Play. Battlenet also is selling games and functioning as a game client.

You can trade your software with other steam users, but afaik you cant sell anything, unless maybe your account, wich Im sure would be in some sort of violation.

From what I've read on the steam forums you cannot trade software.

I've never had crow before, but I'd like to have my crow in white sauce please. All
I have to do now is pick out a good beer to drink it with.

Very few people go offline for a month these days. Its hard not to unless your in the armed forces, and even then I think its hard.

Also...since you missed this 10yr old arguemnt. Consoles are going digitial, slowlys but surely just like PC. Also, you may want to check out GreenManGaming.com, They've had a sorts of tradein program going I think. Have to have an account with them I believe.
http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/02/18/microsoft-just-declared-war-on-gamestop.aspx

Back