• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Steam DVD games: can you sell them?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
No competition? I mentioned Origin earlier (so did others). And there are many places to download games on the web...ALL are their competition.

I'd look up the definition of monopoly mags as you seem to be confused and just blindly throwing that word around. You can refer to an earlier post of mine explaining why it's not (among the other posts that described it as well).

This would have been funnier with a hyphen between "b" and "r" in "brainless". Nonetheless, nice one :)

This is pretty entertaining, guys. Keep it up :popcorn:

Oh PLEASE... That wasn't even clever the 30th time I heard it... and that was 6 years ago.

But maybe I've got Seth Rogen to thank for bringing high-brow humor down to the 4th grade level.

Oh PLEASE... That wasn't even clever the 30th time I heard it... and that was 6 years ago.

You bring it upon yourself with whatever this is...

For the final... authoritative... and, oh yes, TEAM RAINLESS word on this:

But maybe I've got Seth Rogen to thank for bringing high-brow humor down to the 4th grade level.

Just how many times have you been booed off the stage at comedy clubs? ;)

"Amazing sales" I wonder how much more amazing they would be if they had competition.

I bought the latest CoD title, whatever it is, it had media.

I don't mind so much not being able to sell used games, but I used
to trade used games w/my friends. I'd swap AvP for Undying. Or maybe
I'd just give him a game I never played anymore, say, Dead Space. This
is what my real beef is. I can't even give away steam games anymore, because
it cuts into Valve's bottom line. If the CoD title I had bought had said, on the
cover, you can never give away or sell this game ever, I wouldn't have bought it. I hope Germany wins their case against valve.
Have you ever looked at their sales? I've seen major titles go for 33%-40% off within a couple months of release on their sales, see anyone else doing that? Also they have well know good older games 75-80% off regularly so I don't see them getting any better anytime soon. Also free to play weekends letting anyone try certain game for free all weekend before purchasing usually for a discount.

I personally am a huge fan of Steam. I've even bought games I already owned hard copies of just to have them on Steam (yes from their amazing sales) and I understand I can't sell the games, I have for years and before I ever had Steam account. And any game I've ever seen retail that requires Steam has it plainly listed on the outside of the box, ignorance is not an excuse. Yes there are things that have annoyed me about them but find a company in this world that makes everyone happy?

And to those mentioning about Steam pausing downloads, that can be turned off, not sure how long they've had that option I just found it a couple weeks ago. That was one of my big annoyances since almost all my games are on steam as I couldn't play games while my new purchases were downloading (crappy internet so it takes awhile for these new large games).

"Amazing sales" I wonder how much more amazing they would be if they had competition.

I bought the latest CoD title, whatever it is, it had media.

I don't mind so much not being able to sell used games, but I used
to trade used games w/my friends. I'd swap AvP for Undying. Or maybe
I'd just give him a game I never played anymore, say, Dead Space. This
is what my real beef is. I can't even give away steam games anymore, because
it cuts into Valve's bottom line. If the CoD title I had bought had said, on the
cover, you can never give away or sell this game ever, I wouldn't have bought it. I hope Germany wins their case against valve.

"Steam Family Sharing, allows friends and family to share their libraries of Steam games. The feature will be supported on PC, Mac, and Linux and is currently in beta."

The Steam model is the future of media distribution.
And I for one, welcome the future

I don't play many steam games anymore, but it used to be that Left 4 Dead 2
would every month or so, fail to authenticate in offline mode, forcing me to
go online. I don't know if it's true for every steam game, but it was for Left
4 Dead 2.

Go offline for a month. See if you can play Left 4 dead 2 after that month.

Considering we had l4d2 lan parties on the ship....

Considering we had l4d2 lan parties on the ship....

Steam gave l4d2 to everyone free earlier this month.

...as a side note... Did the original l4d actually have an ending? Or did you just start again from some random level?

I spent weeks playing that game... online... I don't remember an ending.

NOTE: Bolding in quote is by me.

I'm not aware of ANY Steam games that have actual media (ie: CD or DVD) ALL Steam games are downloaded from Steam. Yes, you have the OPTION to register a retail game with media on Steam but it is NOT required.
Bottom line is if you purchased the game from/on Steam...NO you can't resell it.
As for the German lawsuit....even IF Valve loses it will only benifit those living in the EU!

you can get skyrim that way(ie phyisical disk that is then connected to you steam)

and why do I get the feeling that the OP is ever just leading us on at this point or is just ignoring everyone. relevent

you can get skyrim that way(ie phyisical disk that is then connected to you steam)

and why do I get the feeling that the OP is ever just leading us on at this point or is just ignoring everyone. relevent

You can get probably over a hundred steam games on retail disc. I have no idea what that guy was talking about.

EDIT: I do HATE research (why I didn't become a historian), but here's an incomplete list. The ones available on retail disc have a green checkmark.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_using_Steam_authentication

When i was young i always paid full price for games. I later learned this magical thing called a "Steam Sale" as an adult i usually only by games on sale. My back log is amazingly long.

PC games have keys 1 key thats all that is linked to 1 account. Its always been this way why would steam be any different?

http://screencast.com/t/US03oRJE

I love Steam, I have 61 titles I have purchased and I use them all the time. I could count on one hand all that I paid full price for. Most I picked up under 10 bucks on Steam sales.

Also, I gotta quit my job. I miss all the good conversations and end up reading them when all the smoke has cleared :D

I love Steam, I have 61 titles I have purchased and I use them all the time. I could count on one hand all that I paid full price for. Most I picked up under 10 bucks on Steam sales.

Also, I gotta quit my job. I miss all the good conversations and end up reading them when all the smoke has cleared :D

That's why *I'M* here! I quit my job a long time ago! And now I can keep interesting threads alive! :p

I completely skipped pages 2-3 that were mostly "No it ain't!" "Yes it is!" "No sir... it is not!" "A pox upon thee! 'Tis so!" and put my vintage Macedonian nickle in...

I think I have purchased... FOUR steam games. Those being "Vegas: Make it Big" and The Rain Slick Precipice (1 and 2) and Borderlands. All of the above on sale.

Every other game I got was a gift. So four purchases and about 180 free gifts. (Steam recently gave everyone Left 4 Dead 2 as a gift as an apology for something or other...)

Most of those came from packs. The Valve Pack, Sega Pack, Max Payne Pack, this pack... that pack... even have Arkham Asylum and Kane and Lynch 1 and 2 from some pack that I don't remember.

I've moved a lot over the years. I have practically none of the physical media I once owned. (I only recently found Starcraft 2... coulda sworn it was a goner..) But I still have all 180 of those Steam games.

I don't think I ever even play them... but it does my heart good to know they're there.

And in all seriousness... I'm a hardcore physical property advocate... I see the writing on the wall: Eventually you won't actually own *anything*. Forget about games... there won't be any MONEY. There will be no CASH. Within your lifetime. Some people will have hoarded a bit... others will have invested in actual gold. But that will be far from the majority. You won't have any physical copies of Photoshop, Microsoft Office, Windows... NONE of it.

It's already started. You'll realize the seriousness of this when some 12 year old hacker just DELETES all your money and everything you "virtually" owned.

So, to me, Steam doesn't even register in comparison to all that. Steam is a service that you went INTO knowing the rules. You flat-out agreed and agreed to them repeatedly. So that's just entirely delusional.

There are going to be some serious battles fought over the right of ownership in the near future... but this won't be one of them.

That's why *I'M* here! I quit my job a long time ago! And now I can keep interesting threads alive! :p

I completely skipped pages 2-3 that were mostly "No it ain't!" "Yes it is!" "No sir... it is not!" "A pox upon thee! 'Tis so!" and put my vintage Macedonian nickle in...

I think I have purchased... FOUR steam games. Those being "Vegas: Make it Big" and The Rain Slick Precipice (1 and 2) and Borderlands. All of the above on sale.

Every other game I got was a gift. So four purchases and about 180 free gifts. (Steam recently gave everyone Left 4 Dead 2 as a gift as an apology for something or other...)

Most of those came from packs. The Valve Pack, Sega Pack, Max Payne Pack, this pack... that pack... even have Arkham Asylum and Kane and Lynch 1 and 2 from some pack that I don't remember.

I've moved a lot over the years. I have practically none of the physical media I once owned. (I only recently found Starcraft 2... coulda sworn it was a goner..) But I still have all 180 of those Steam games.

I don't think I ever even play them... but it does my heart good to know they're there.

And in all seriousness... I'm a hardcore physical property advocate... I see the writing on the wall: Eventually you won't actually own *anything*. Forget about games... there won't be any MONEY. There will be no CASH. Within your lifetime. Some people will have hoarded a bit... others will have invested in actual gold. But that will be far from the majority. You won't have any physical copies of Photoshop, Microsoft Office, Windows... NONE of it.

It's already started. You'll realize the seriousness of this when some 12 year old hacker just DELETES all your money and everything you "virtually" owned.

So, to me, Steam doesn't even register in comparison to all that. Steam is a service that you went INTO knowing the rules. You flat-out agreed and agreed to them repeatedly. So that's just entirely delusional.

There are going to be some serious battles fought over the right of ownership in the near future... but this won't be one of them.

You make much sense young Padawan :D Seriously, I agree. So much will change over the next couple decades :thup:

Back