• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stock FX-8120 still way too hot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

usery

Registered
Thanks to all who helped with my earlier related thread. I'm trying to establish the headroom for OC'ing my FX-8120 and I'm still concerned about my stock temps.

To recap, this is a new build on Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 v1.2 bios F12, Xigmatek Aegir cooler (1-fan), all in an Antec 300 4-fan case. Cooler was seated on cpu heatcap with ArcticSilver 5, following Arctic's guidelines for exposed heat pipe cooler and rice grain-sized bead of TIM on the cap. Am now ~50 hours into Arctic's 200hr break-in period. All of the following are disabled in bios: Cool n Quiet, C1, C6, APM, ThermalProtect. All other bios is stock.

Ambient room temp at time of test was 25 CF. After 2 hours of Prime95 torture blend, HWM Pro says this:

attachment.php

I get it that core temp is what matters most, and that AMD's core temps are calculated (TCTL). But based on what I'm seeing in posts from other FX-8120 OC'ers on air-coolers, who are stable at 4.1 to 4.5GHz with temps at or below mine, I'm wondering if I got a non-starter. All opinions welcomed.

Attachments

• fx_8120_maxLoad.bmp
    782.1 KB · Views: 616
Is "Core Performance Boost" turned on?
If so, turn it off. It jacks clock speed and vcore significantly.

That said, 49c isn't the limit for FX.
Something 55-60c is more like it.

Sorry, forgot to include that: CPB is indeed off. All other settings are stock.

Attachments

• fx_8120_stock.bmp
    613.9 KB · Views: 301
Seems like an awful lot of vcore for stock to me.
What is LLC (Load Line Calibration) set to?

LLC is set to Auto. Should I change to Regular? Something else?

Try regular, yeah.
The AUTO LLC setting does some strange and painful things sometimes.

Set LCC to regular, still getting same VCORE under Prime95. Anything else to try other than re-seat the heatsink?

Attachments

• fx-8120_maxLoad2.bmp
    768.8 KB · Views: 292
ive come to terms with the hot temps on it. i get around the same numbers but with just a half an hour test. ive been told by trents that a around a half an hour is when it gets the hotest. my cores got to 46 with a corsair h60 on it. but my overall cpu temp was 63. ouch. i honestly think that a heatsink and fan isnt enough for this cpu and from what i have been told its true. im building a water cooling system right now. look into it a bit. its a bit expensive but worth it in the long run. and it fun. good luck!!!

your vcore voltage should be down in the low 1.2's, this will lower your temps a lot.
I thought this was starting at stock clocks.

Last edited:
For what it's worth here's what I got after 60min of Prime95 torture blend, at 4127MHz (20.5 x 201.34) and peak vcore 1.36 V. I didn't touch voltage in BIOS or AMD Overdrive, LLC set to Regular. Ambient room temp was on the cool side, probly < 20C.

Attachments

• 4.1GHz_60minloadCoreTemp.jpg
    4.1GHz_60minloadCoreTemp.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 266
  • 4.1GHz_60minload_HWMPro.jpg
    4.1GHz_60minload_HWMPro.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 268
Those temps are ok? Notwithstanding all the FUD on what TMPIN2 is supposed to measure on the GA-990XA-UD mobo (VRM? NB?).

Im VERY ok with them on air.
your vcore voltage looks a tad high compared to mine, (about 1.33 @4.2).
you might also try to reduce your cpu/nb voltage some

Last edited:
That's a better chip than mine I think.
It took 1.43v or so for me to hit 4.2ish.

Toasty little buggers when the volts get cranked up.

this is the most power hungry of the four i have but, it out performs the other three below 4400 and just hates 4500 and above, i call it "the pig".

Back