• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

STOP RMAing STUFF YOU BREAK!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Audioaficionado said:
That's why I don't trust referbs. Who knows what was done to those components before they were returned.

I would never buy a refurb mobo. But other components.
I have a scanner I bought refurb and it just works fine. :)

NiTCOM said:

I would never buy a refurb mobo. But other components.
I have a scanner I bought refurb and it just works fine. :)

I was mainly referring to mobos. But it also depends on if the component could be overclocked or not. I won't buy possibley abused componets either like RAM or CPUs.

My take on it.

1. You return something because it isn't the stepping you want? Fine. You eat the 15% restocking fee. That's what it is there for. You lie and say it doesn't work. You can go and freak on yourself.

2. You mod something in ANY WAY WHATSOEVER and in the future it dies. No rma for you.

3. You overclock something using anything other than built in options. No Rma for you.

4. You overclock something using built in options despite a warning not too. No Rma for you. (Example: My nf7-s defaults to 1.7vdd. So it's warrantee is still good. My videocard's drivers have an overclock utility built in with a warning that overclocking can kill the card... that warrentee is no good.)

Blah, I'll admit, I return everything. But, I've never physically damaged anything, or fried it from too much voltage.

hmmmmmm . . . :rolleyes:

There ya' go. Not saying it'll happen to Newegg, but it CAN happen, and that's reason enough. It clearly affects all retailers (just some more than others).

Excellent find!

Z

i see it this way.. i usualy buy things im gonna mod w/o a warranty.. things like memory, hdd's, cpus i buy with warranty.. unless i do something like voltmod a video card and fry it i Wouldnt return it. but if it was a minor mistake or problem with ocing like a cpu might not boot after a hard oc id probly rma..

im 50/50 on this.. These companys have alot of money, and *Not* many people do xtreme modding to on purposely kill there products..

but things like rmaing to try to get a softmodable 9500np.. no that ticks me off.. i bought 2 of them for 165 and both didnt mod. ended up selling them 2 months ago for 100 or so.. my loss atis gain.

OC Detective said:
To all those who RMA regardless - I picked up this little snippet whilst surfing. Check out the 5th article on the page.....
http://www.overclock-uk.net/index.php?page=comnews&show=110

*** Editorial Comment From UnseenMenace ***
The link provided by OC Detective points to a news article which reports the following..
The Overclocking Store (www.theoverclockingstore.co.uk) ceased trading today (24/7/03) apparently due to 'Staff thefts and RMAs(returns)'.
Visiting their former site simply states:
The Overclocking Store Ltd. Has Ceased Trading

UnseenMenace said:

*** Editorial Comment From UnseenMenace ***
The fantastic link provided by OC Detective points to a news article which reports the following..

If I may?

I think that if those reasons are true then a whole lot more was wrong with the company - I mean staff stealing stuff? Anything of value is likely to be bigger than the average pocket, like a GeForce 4 - so either there were some serious security holes or people were allowed to bring in large rucksacks to work....

If they were getting tons and tons of RMAs then they should have tightened their policy a little - like stating that customers pay for return shipping and and non-defective card will be subject to a restocking fee.

Just my opinion, but sounds like a bit of bad management.

the only time i evcer rma'ed something is when i put the m/b and cpu togehter it never turned on,,, it the ups did actually send it dented,,, never oc'ed it... simply plugged it in,,

I agree that to let one's company get into such dire straights indicates some bad managerial decisions on the part of higher-ups, but perhaps their business model was just too optimistic, thinking that people weren't going to return massive quantities of stuff.

Just a guess, though, since I never worked there.

Z

Frankly, I have never RMA'ed anything. Guess I'm just lucky:) I am currently building a new machine, piece by piece. If I cook something, I eat it. (Pardon the pun) My conscience would never let me do otherwise. I was raised to understand that stealing is wrong. Make no mistake, RMA'ing something you broke/smoked is stealing, no if's, and's, or but's. I am curious about the relationship of age to immoral RMA's. Personally, I'm 38.

agreed. I only once RMA'd something, but that was becuase it was broken when i got it. Damn Refurbs, i will never do that again.

the only things ive ever rma'd were a hdd that went bad, rma'd directly to WD and a motherboard that a faulty power supply killed

Almost every time I've broken something, it's because I pushed it too far. I generally don't kill stuff foolhardily, but I know the limits. Two motherboards burnt up at the ATX connector because the PSU couldn't supply ample power to the 5v lines. Did I fix it? Yes. Would I have gotten an RMA? Probably, probably not.

I think it's OK to RMA to a manufacturer if you tell them that you broke it, and it's your fault. Then they can decide whether or whether not to give you a second chance with a warning or to refuse. I know this because I've heard the techs from one particular company, Epox, talk - their stance is that if you tell them you broke the product, they will honor the RMA, but if you lie and they find out it was most likely your fault, they won't.

That's honesty, and there's nothing wrong with that. :)

RMAing because you got an early stepping, however, IMHO is not right. Returning it and paying a restocking fee is an abuse of the whole return-a-product system. It is there for those who wanted a vid card and accidentally ordered a CPU, for those who wanted a 1600+ and got a 1.4GHz Tbird. Most of the stuff that I've owned hasn't been very overclockable - the AGOGA 1800+ palomino, A1-cored 9700 Pro, 1300 SL5ZJ Tualatin, and so on. They were all early steppings. They all clocked like crap. Did I return them? NO! I got what was advertised.

Oh.. about the age thing. I think that people who break stuff and have little cash on hand tend to be the ones RMAing for not-so-good reasons. Younger folks tend to have less money, and tend to be more mischevious in that regard. Note the word tend. There are people who never grow up, and there are people who know the right path in their preteens. There are young people who are rich and old people who are broke and need to leech all they can.

My dad thinks that most computer hardware enthusiasts are in the age of 17-20. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I agree that those with little money would be more likely to be unscrupulous in regards to RMA. However, over the past several weeks I have come across several threads here and there where RMA'ing was brought up. I remember one in particular a few weeks ago, I don't recall which thread, possibly one entitled "disaster" in which an argument broke out about RMA'ing. It seems one member admitted to RMA'ing something they broke and was chastised by another reader. Finally a Moderator had to step in.
The point is, if a person can afford a gig of Mushkin Lvl II Black, why would they RMA an $80 board? This statement is made at nobody in particular it is just an example, I know of no such instance. In other words, some people have high dollar equipment yet still RMA things they break. It is not always a matter of insufficient cash, but rather insufficient morals.
Of course, that doesn't point to any specific age group, but consider this:
The age of RMA is relatively new. Although RMA has been around as long as mail order and online shopping, I don't believe the circumstances are the same. In todays world of rapidly changing computer components, RMA'ing has exploded into a free for all of "if I don't get what I want I'll just return it" and "Hey, I'll try this, if I smoke it, I'll just return it."
The computer world is unlike any other. If you order a TV from Fingerhut, you are pretty sure it's what you want. I don't know anything about Fingerhut or even if they have an RMA program, but you get the idea. People don't usually return TV's because of a bad stepping or damage from a water leak! It's the same in most industries, automotive parts, housewares etc.
Overclocking is risky business. There exists the potential for damage and disaster which can be costly to the end user. In my own opinion, the younger generation , not all, but many, are more willing to take a chance on pushing the limits of thier own knowledge and their equipments limitations with the knowledge that if they burn something up, a replacement is just an RMA away. This happens either because they don't realize that it's wrong, or because they don't care. I'm also certain that some adults out there do the same thing. They should be ashamed of themselves, because they should know better.

Of course this is just my thoughts on the subject

What about Motherboards that tell you in THEIR manual, refering to MSI K7N2 Delta-L, that it was designed for "overclocking". If it burns up, is it still wrong to RMA it? If it was designed for it then fails how is that the consumers fault?

I have never RMAs anything, by the time I break something it is well past the possible warranty that came with it. And the hassle of work that goes with getting warranty work perfomed on something that costs less than $200 ..... Not worth the hassle. I will just go by another one and not be so careless with what ever it is.

Now if it was something that was broke when I get it.... Thats different. I return it immediatly and get another one.

zachj said:
it's rediculous to assume no limits in a world bound by them.

Z

Exactly! If an SUV commercial shows their vehicle at the top of an obviously inaccessible peak, do you try to do the same? Of course not! The auto manufacturer is simply, if exaggeratively, stating the drivability of the vehicle. Common sense is ASSUMED in that the manufacturer doesn't expect you to try to take the vehicle to the top of Mt. Everest.
The same applies to mobo's or any other pc component. "Overclockable" does NOT mean "industructable". If you push the limits beyond what is considered reasonable, YOU are at fault.

Back