• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

such a livley area? i need info on who owns an EP-4PCA3+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathstar13

FSB FRIEK
i just ordered mine from newegg,and the bad news is i never built an intel p4 system before.so i need a good freind about right now? really i do need some help when this mobo arrives.

of course ill be giving it a day of normal running to break it in but after that its oc time.

its to be paired with a 2.8E, and 2x512mb bt-d43
also an alpha pal 8952 with a 92mm HO fan with vr
fsp 530wt psu
and ram sinks i have if needed for mosfets.

what mainly i will need is bios help,any cooling and voltage issues you have run into on the mobo also.

ive read not to flash the latest bios as it kills vdimm above 2.95v?
i should be ok with that much vdimm for now as i figure ill top out at 250-260fsb from what the prevous owner states he did.

intel words like gat,pat and silmilier things are forign to me so be patient.only reason i know them by name is i read about them and stuck it in my head to learn asap.

btw how do you like this mobo? ive read great reviews to just ok.
luckily no real bad ones.ive owned 3-4 amd epox mobos and liked them well.

i honestly think in the right hands this mobo could prove to be as good as any p4c800 or ic7. wont be my hands tho for a few weeks as i work slow and steady.

DEFINITLY COOL THE MOSFETS!!!
also add a 50mm fan on the Northbridge
if you leave it at the stock (8/29 i think) bios you'll have up to 1.85v on vcore and up to 3.3v on vdimm (mine doesnt go above 3.03 actual voltage)

if you flash to the next one (december one i think)
it makes your voltage options max out @ 1.6v (but you get .0125 steps instead of 0.025 steps) and vdimm maxes @ 2.9 (my board overvolts slightly)

my board is also rev 2.2
i had a rev 2.0 that died...
the 2.0 maxed @ 262fsb
the 2.2 maxes @ 250fsb

how well do i like it?
its not bad... but i cant get over 3.5ghz on my 2.8e (250fsb)
i'm lookin for another board... prob an ic7 or other 875 chipset board

GAT/PAT are bios memory tweaks.. (pat = performance acceleration tech) i would make sure u memtest before enabling anything nonstandard.

i've heard that the vagp voltage is somehow tied into chipset voltage.. but i dunno

wow! i was expecting a week wait for any help :)
WV? wooooowooooo (ill skip the jokes) my family is from there so im allowed.

ill do the mosfets the day i start ocing and make sure the mobo is ok.
ill stick with stock bios unless it needs flashed in reverse.

from what ive seen 3.5ghz is on the money for this mobo with a 2.8e.it has to do with some saftey features epox puts in so the mobo doesnt oc to its death.stops short of max ocby 100-200mhz.
for now i can live with that.later im sure i wont .

im going to pull the NB and as3 it for sure,im hopeing my screamer fan on my cpu will have enough wind blowing out of it it hits the NB hard,ifnot i have many 80mm fans i can rig up.

i have a heatsink/fan for the SB also. im prepared :)

i also have read about the vagp being tied to the chipset.ill be looking at that.
ill do memtesting rather frequently until the ram is proven stable anyhow. its kingston value ram pc2700-just so happens it bt-d43 tho. rebadged ferraris to a ford. :)

if your gonna replace this mobo and trust meive done extensive shopping and research onlyis one mobo out that i would pick over it. the $190 asus p4c800E-D
newegg refurbs sold out of them and i couldnt spend that much so this was my second choice.

ty for all the info! big big help!this should be up and running within a week,i have to mail my money order to newegg as i dont use CC's so takes a bit longer.

I just got back a 4PDA2+, Rev. 2.0 from RMA and so far I am impressed. It doesn't seem to have the limiter anymore. A 2.40C that does 300+ fsb on Abit boards is good to 301! I just got another 2.80C recently, and it is running 265 fsb or 3.71 gig at 1.66 VCORE, albeit on water, but normally they max out around 3.5-3.55 gig even with that. The board is really stable as both CPUs bench absolutely everything including PCMark, the 3DMarks, and the Sandra CPU tests, also 16M SuperPI.

I'm gonna try some CPUs I know lost a lot of mhz before to see what's going on.

It seems the board no longer undervolts VCORE real bad either. Before it was -.075, now it's more like -.03-.05. VDIMM still overvolts like crazy, by as much as .03. I dunno what Epox did, but gimme more . . . :D I'm running the Dec. 2003 BIOS.

Clevor said:
I just got back a 4PDA2+, Rev. 2.0 from RMA and so far I am impressed. It doesn't seem to have the limiter anymore. A 2.40C that does 300+ fsb on Abit boards is good to 301! I just got another 2.80C recently, and it is running 265 fsb or 3.71 gig at 1.66 VCORE, albeit on water, but normally they max out around 3.5-3.55 gig even with that. The board is really stable as both CPUs bench absolutely everything including PCMark, the 3DMarks, and the Sandra CPU tests, also 16M SuperPI.

I'm gonna try some CPUs I know lost a lot of mhz before to see what's going on.

It seems the board no longer undervolts VCORE real bad either. Before it was -.075, now it's more like -.03-.05. VDIMM still overvolts like crazy, by as much as .03. I dunno what Epox did, but gimme more . . . :D I'm running the Dec. 2003 BIOS.

Glad to see you got your 4PDA2 rev 2 board back and that you are happy with it, as you know I had one but had to RMA it temp reading problem and they could not get me another, so got the Asus P4C800e deluxe and and in my opinion I don't think it is as good as the Epox board might just be me:D anyway I have been trying to track down another 4PDA2+ rev 2 and have found one also a 4PCA3+ rev 2 and of course there is there new 4PDA5+.

I see that you are not impressed with the 4PCA3+ rev 2 ? so I was thinking of getting another 4pda2+ rev 2 or the 4PDA5+ any comments on which one you would choose thanks.

i should have all my parts in monday or tuesday and the rig running.
i ordered my 4pca3+ from newegg. ill post every tid bit of the mobos outcome once running. should be a rev2.2 im told.

No Seren, it's not that I'm not high on the 4PCA3+, I still got three boards. But I only got one Rev. 2.0, and that is holy **** rare so I'm afraid of frying it.

I checked some other CPUs and I was wrong, I still see the limiter working. One 3.0C does 3.84 on the Abit boards and I only got it to 3.69 on the 4PDA2+. However the good news is that new 2.80C I have that does 3.71 gig on this board will probably do 5 mhz higher on other boards, like maybe 270 fsb :D. I get so jaded with my 3.0Cs hitting 3.84 gig and my 3.2Cs hitting 3.94 gig, but a 2.80C at 3.71 gig is a 32.5% overclock, or like getting a 3.0C up to 3.975 gig.

Also I checked the s/n and Epox (or CensusPC), sent me a different board, which looks refurbished, as I can make out imprints on the MB mounting holes. No wonder it VCOREs a bit better. However VDIMM is still outrageous, goes to 3.3, and overvolts, with the 8-03 BIOS.

I see that you are not impressed with the 4PCA3+ rev 2 ? so I was thinking of getting another 4pda2+ rev 2 or the 4PDA5+ any comments on which one you would choose thanks.

I am pretty sure the latest 4PDA5+ has VDIMM limited to 3.06 or so, if Epox did that to the latest 4PCA3+s. Plus it is a stripped down version of the 4PDA2+ (doesn't do as fancy RAID), except it officially supports Prescott. If you get one let us know what you find :D.

I'm just thankful Epox or CensusPC did not send me a castrated replacement board. Go CensusPC if you can, I like their customer support.

Last edited:
Hi Again thanks for the reply, sorry I misunderstood you, I can get the 4PCA3 rev 2 no problem now also 4PDA2+ rev 2 found a new store and I liked the 4pda2+ rev 2 before but they could not get me a replacement, so you are saying that the 4PCA3+ rev 2 is OK as I have the choice now, which one would you recomend.

As for the 4PDA5+ supporting prescot there new bios update disables the vcore values when prescot cpu is installed, they have done this on the 4Pda2+ as it does not officialy support prescot and it is to protect the board but why do it on the 4pda5+

Model: EP-4PDA5+
BIOS: 4PD54330.BIN (2300)
BIOS Date: 03/30/2004
Fixes:
1) Vcore value selection will be disabled when Prescott CPU is installed
2) Updated Prescott CPU micro code
3) Solved 16x4 memory can not boot (Error post code is "E6")
4) Modified system memory type string to follow EPoX Standards
5) Added "E" designator to identify 90 nm processor with 1MB L2 cache

Hey Seren, how come you are interested in an Epox board? I thought you got the P4C800-E? That's as good an overclocking board as you can get, and it runs 5:4 real high.

Clevor said:
Hey Seren, how come you are interested in an Epox board? I thought you got the P4C800-E? That's as good an overclocking board as you can get, and it runs 5:4 real high.

Hi Clevor, I have got the Asus and it's fine but I got some spare cash :D and I liked the Epox 4PDA2+ rev 2 before, but never got a chance to try it out to the full as had to RMA it due to high temp spikes, and they could not get me a replacement, but I have found a new store over here in the UK that carries most of the Epox range so thought I would give it a go again :D plus I can always sell it on if not happy.

What did you make of the bios update for the 4PDA5 + seems rather strange considering it's supposed to support prescot, also what are the main differences in the revisions of the 4PCA3+? thanks.

Rev. 2.2 of the 4PCA3+ limits VDIMM to max 3.06 or so, I think in hardware. The later BIOSs limit it via the BIOS.

Be aware I do see a limiter on Epox boards, primarily on 2.60-3.2Cs. You may lose 5-8 mhz. For some reason, it's not that bad on that 300 fsb 2.40C MO step I have.

im awaiting my hs/f and psu from fedex atm.
mobo,cpu and ram all here.

my 4pca3+ is a rev2.2 from newegg.
atm i dont know what bios is on it till i fire it up tmorow hopefully if im not in prison for killing a fedex employee :D

im sure it can be flashed to an older bios if need be,but id guess its hardware limited also.
3vdimm is ok i could use 3.2 tho sometimes.

here is a pick of the mods i did. and a link to the thread telling everything i did so far.cant do much more until the other parts get here and fire it up.http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=295799

im making sure its prescott READY! btw thats a 2.8E from batboy in the socket.
attachment.php

I hope the rest of your bits arrive looking good so far on what you have done, I am waiting for the 4PDA2 + rev should be here tomorrow, cpu arrived this morning and was shocked to find it was an MO stepping sl6z3 2.4c will compare it to my other 2.4c now.

wow should be a great ocer! is it 30 caps on it also?

to bad they dont put HT on these also,if they had they wouldnt sell anything else lol

post back how both the cpu and mobo do.

yes the underside of the chip has 30 caps, I tried for ages to get one when I had read all about them and this just turned up I checked the store again but all gone, I have had the 4PDA2+ rev 2 before but had to RMA and they could not get a replacement but his new store I found assures me that I am getting one will know tomorrow if not I can get the 4PCA3+ re 2 no problem, I am running the asus as per signature now, will let you know how things go need to get a few more bits yet, can't afford raptors for this one :D so Maxtor Seagate Hitachi or Samsung sata for this :D

I can't beleive my luck with Epox boards :D the board arrived today and it was not a rev 2 as ordered so got on the phone they told me sorry could not get one so I said I will have a 4pca3 rev 2 instead no to that also and they are advertized on there site and the other day they said no proble :mad: so I now have a 4PDA5+ coming on Friday and that is for certain :D from another store that I have dealt with, so will keep you posted on how that performs, I have not seen anyone in the forums with one yet ?

Seren, so what 4PDA2+ did they send yout, a Rev. 1.0-1.2? I don't think Epox made anything >2.0.

Yeah, the Rev. 2.0 4PCA3+ is really hard to find now.

I'm really interested in your results on the 4PDA5+. I suspect Epox took the limiter out of the board, because of all the complaints and to be competitive, but may have limited the VDIMM to 3.0 in hardware. Let us know. If you can, compare overclocks on it with the P4C800-E.

Clevor said:
Seren, so what 4PDA2+ did they send yout, a Rev. 1.0-1.2? I don't think Epox made anything >2.0.

Yeah, the Rev. 2.0 4PCA3+ is really hard to find now.

I'm really interested in your results on the 4PDA5+. I suspect Epox took the limiter out of the board, because of all the complaints and to be competitive, but may have limited the VDIMM to 3.0 in hardware. Let us know. If you can, compare overclocks on it with the P4C800-E.

Hi Clevor, not sure what they sent me:D it had 4PDA2+ hand written on the box so not even sure if I had the right box, also the the floppy disks were no the original and also had hand written lables on, all the small plastic bags were opened so not happy, I know one thing for sure it was not rev 2 as I have had one.

I will let you know how the 4PDA5+ goes as soon as it's set up will be begining of next week before I have it running busy weekend coming up, as for the 4pca3+ a couple of stores over here UK offering them but they can't guarantee revision, I see that you have your Asus running did you do volt mods etc and what vcore (bios) were you running to get it stable above 300,
I also got my hands on an MO stepping 2.4c totally by accident
:D

Man, that's pretty crazy. Sound like they send you a opened box motherboard. The original box for the rev 2.x board is purple. I would definitely return it back or look at one the corner and see what rev is that board is.

I myself just for a change switch over from my 4PCA3+ Rev 2.0 into the P4C800E-Deluxe. Haven't set up the Asus yet because it is being modded at the moment. I still have my 4PCA3+ Rev 2.0 though just in case I don't like this P4C800E. I love my Epox board and I think for the price it is one hell of a board especially love that vdimm option up to 3.3v in the bios.

seren said:

Hi Clevor, not sure what they sent me:D it had 4PDA2+ hand written on the box so not even sure if I had the right box, also the the floppy disks were no the original and also had hand written lables on, all the small plastic bags were opened so not happy, I know one thing for sure it was not rev 2 as I have had one.

I will let you know how the 4PDA5+ goes as soon as it's set up will be begining of next week before I have it running busy weekend coming up, as for the 4pca3+ a couple of stores over here UK offering them but they can't guarantee revision, I see that you have your Asus running did you do volt mods etc and what vcore (bios) were you running to get it stable above 300,
I also got my hands on an MO stepping 2.4c totally by accident
:D

oc_newbee said:
Man, that's pretty crazy. Sound like they send you a opened box motherboard. The original box for the rev 2.x board is purple. I would definitely return it back or look at one the corner and see what rev is that board is.

I myself just for a change switch over from my 4PCA3+ Rev 2.0 into the P4C800E-Deluxe. Haven't set up the Asus yet because it is being modded at the moment. I still have my 4PCA3+ Rev 2.0 though just in case I don't like this P4C800E. I love my Epox board and I think for the price it is one hell of a board especially love that vdimm option up to 3.3v in the bios.

I have it all parcelled up and ready for them to collect will not be dealing with them again, I thought it was to good to be true when they said they could get 4Pca3+ etc here in the UK, anyway just had conformation my 4PDA5+ is on it's way.

Good luck with the Asus I have not modded mine as I am not 100% comfortable with the idea:D I have had 294 fsb 5:4 stable and the board is great apart from those crazy voltage fluctuations.

Back