• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sudden Northwood Death Syndrome (S.N.D.S.)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rasputin'sLiver

counselor of clock
Has anyone determined for sure what causes Sudden Northwood Death Syndrome (S.N.D.S.)? I have been reading that overvolting is the leading suspect do to some kind of "migration" effect, but i'm not ready to give up volts, just like an alcoholic won't give up wild turkey...

is there a safe voltage level just like there's a safe drinking level? the doctors are telling us now that a couple brews a day is actually good for us, so how 'bout a couple extra volts for our northwoods? it might be good for them and they sure seem to like it.:beer:

I think my 1,8 Northwood got damaged by 1,6v!!! It´s hard to run it at 2,4GHz at the same voltage as i used to..

SWE_HELIX said:
I think my 1,8 Northwood got damaged by 1,6v!!! It´s hard to run it at 2,4GHz at the same voltage as i used to..

okay, dude. let's apply some forensic science to this. how old is your chip? what were the peak volts you were running it at and for how long?:confused:

the lives of our northwoods and future generations of northwoods are depending on you.:eek:

From what I've gathered, it is generally thought that 1.75 is the safe limit... that is 1.75 actual readout. My P4T533 overvolts at least in idle state, meaning 1.70v is pushing it.

I´ve had it for about a week and the max voltage i used was 1,6.. But i used the stock cooling fan and the mobo (Abit BD7r) says that the temp is about 50 idle and 60 fulload at 1,25v!! I ran the processor withou a hsf for about 5 sec... I think the mobo reads the temp wrong tho. I am buying a separate temp sensor that i could put on my cpu, but i dont really have much money now. I have to buy a Zalman 6500AlCu heatsink.

SWE_HELIX said:
I´ve had it for about a week and the max voltage i used was 1,6.. But i used the stock cooling fan and the mobo (Abit BD7r) says that the temp is about 50 idle and 60 fulload at 1,25v!! I ran the processor withou a hsf for about 5 sec... I think the mobo reads the temp wrong tho. I am buying a separate temp sensor that i could put on my cpu, but i dont really have much money now. I have to buy a Zalman 6500AlCu heatsink.

Running a processor without heatsink isn't very healthy, even if it's for just a few seconds. I think it's more likely that doing so damaged your cpu, and not the 1.6v...

FIZZ3 said:

Running a processor without heatsink isn't very healthy, even if it's for just a few seconds. I think it's more likely that doing so damaged your cpu, and not the 1.6v...

i agree... 1.6v isn't that much... i think heat was at least a contributing if not the primary factor with this death... on to the next case, dr. klouseau...:)

I am also seeing S.N.D.S. with extreame cooling(vapo) and "b" woodies.

it seems that they get frostbite....and die.

yet I still think that 1.75v is still safe, any higher and you take your chances.

mica

micamica1217 said:
I am also seeing S.N.D.S. with extreame cooling(vapo) and "b" woodies.

it seems that they get frostbite....and die.

yet I still think that 1.75v is still safe, any higher and you take your chances.

mica

i agree, mica. when you think about how many woodies in here have died from air? it always seems to be the exotically cooled ones that die from S.N.D.S.

could it be that the extreme cold is making them crack or chip? :confused: not to make everyone who's laid out the big bucks for extreme cooling paranoid or anything. i'd love a vapo if i could afford one.:)

i agree, mica. when you think about how many woodies in here have died from air? it always seems to be the exotically cooled ones that die from S.N.D.S.

well some have died on air too...mostly from overvolting greatly.

after some PMs and heavy reading, I find that going over 1.75v and/or vapo/pelter cooling can be dangerous to "a" and "b" woodies.

I'm going watercooling soon, yet I wont touch a pelter.

mica

micamica1217 said:

well some have died on air too...mostly from overvolting greatly.

after some PMs and heavy reading, I find that going over 1.75v and/or vapo/pelter cooling can be dangerous to "a" and "b" woodies.

I'm going watercooling soon, yet I wont touch a pelter.

mica

so it's fairly well established that being below 1.75v is okay? of course we'll have to see if they start dying out at 3-6 months at that voltage...

in the meantime, it's like smoking or suntanning... we know it's bad but we're willing to take a chance because there's some kind of satisfaction we get out of doing it. i did manage to give up smoking several years ago and i use sunscreen at least...:burn:

Rasputin'sLiver said:

i agree... 1.6v isn't that much... i think heat was at least a contributing if not the primary factor with this death... on to the next case, dr. klouseau...:)

Hehe =)

If the 'frostbite theory' is correct, wouldn't that be something that could show up in Intel's spec sheets? Like a higher lower-bound working temperature rating?

FIZZ3 said:

Hehe =)

If the 'frostbite theory' is correct, wouldn't that be something that could show up in Intel's spec sheets? Like a higher lower-bound working temperature rating?

I posted somthing like this before....someone did reply that intel stated temp ranges for B northwoods.

I'll see if I can find the quote.

mica

pacino said this about extream cooling....

If you're an owner of any "B" northies, look for temps between 20c~25c for the best cooling, mine died due to extreme cooling or I could probably had a bad chip to start with. According to INTEL themselves, extreme cooling to the new chips aka "B Northies" will highly damage 'em pretty fast. Mine (2.26Ghz) died in less than 1 week although it was running @ 1.7v @ 2880MHz.

well I was hopeing for a better quote, yet you get the idea.

I hope this helps.

mica

wow! there is an extreme cooling connection? would that include water? water sounds like the best way to go because you wont get those sub-zero temps...

I believe even 1.7 is a serious threat to "b" northies! .. Why? .. well, mine died with just 1.7v .. Yes, I ran it for 10mins @ 1.85v would that have killed it? .. I honestly don't think so. Could it be a bad chip? .. possibly. The chip still works "in theory", it just doesn't take you anywhere, no windows no boot, just posts :) .. it reads 1.1~1.2v on bios instead of 1.5v LOL! .. When I spoke to Intel, one of their Engineers told me how the new northies, and he was refering to 533 bus aka "B" Side, don't like temps below 18c .. and he recommended "temps in between 20~28c" for good cooling.. Ras & Mica mentioned how frost mighta killed them, and I do believe that a combination of both, anything over 1.7 + extreme cooling = no B-northies will live. However, just a bit more about my experience with "A" northies, I had 2.2 and now 1.6, tested them both on the same setup as my smoked 2.26b and guess what? .. 2.2 did not die till I sold it (5months of uptime) and my 1.6 is on her 2nd week. B's are weak? sensitive? I don't know, but I'm not buying anotha 2.26 for sure!

Rasputin'sLiver said:

sam, thank you. there is no greater honor you could have bestowed upon me than allowing me to name a disease and seeing a sticky about it!:D

thanks man! :beer:

I edited that thread to mention your naming this disease ;)

Back