• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Super Monster Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Pierre's right. Make sure you tell them since they are building a custom one for you that you will have XX amount of fans connected to it and whether they are 4pin PWM or 3pin analog, etc. Maybe they can beef it up more than the retail one for you.

The Aquearo 6 has 4 PWM.

closeuptopdownviewofnewaquaero6heatsinkfitted_zpsf0042373.jpg

Watercooled

53164_4.jpg

I think you need to either tell us your full idea of how you want to run these fans, or do some research, cos its not just hooking up 10 fans to one output, the will kill the fan controller in one swift move.

Care to explain?

Imo i can connect 20 fans using a single channel using the same cable.... And my limiting factor is the 2.3 amps that can go trough using 18 gauge wire...

Wow! This is quite the build.

I'm frowning on the fact that you're only using 2x Laing D5 pumps in series. With 10 radiators and the amount of tubing that you're going to be running, you will need some SERIOUS head pressure, which a pair of D5's is not going to provide. nikhsub1 on here was running 3x D4 pumps a number of years ago in his MM build, but even then I would question the efficacy of D5 pumps in a loop as ambitious as the one you have planned.

Personally, I would've split it up into two loops, 5x radiators in each loop, and 2x D5's in series for each loop. That way you will get better overall temperatures, improve the flow rate and loop pressure, while upping the insanity factor even more so than you already have.

edit: If you are dead-set on a 10-radiator loop, then I would be looking at Laing DDC pumps w/ aftermarket tops, plumbed in series. I'd probably do three DDC pumps in series to provide adequate head pressure throughout that giant loop. IIRC a manufacturer had a triple-DDC top available 3 years ago, IDK if you can still find them now or not. I believe it was Heatkiller, Aquacomputer, Alphacool, or possibly Bitspower.

Other than my input on that, LOL @ the picture of your fiance and the case... I don't know if she'll still have that smile on her face once she sees your credit card statement :bang head

That would be it! I think there was another one that was clear acrylic that had a stainless steel bezel over the front of it IIRC. Does the same thing though.

I really personally prefer to run individual pumps run in series as opposed to the dual-or-triple-pump tops because of the significant increase in flow rate and head pressure when using the front inlet (going directly into the impeller) and top outlet. As long as you leave a minimum of 6" of tubing between each pump, that will also reduce turbulence or unwanted restriction in that loop. Same concept as how you don't want any components within 6" from the inlet of the pump or within 6" of the outlet of the pump. You want the pump to be able to build up pressure without undue restriction early on/as soon as it leaves the pump outlet.

For me, I would run reservoir ==> tubing ==> PUMP 1 ==> tubing ==> PUMP 2 ==> tubing ==> PUMP 3 ==> tubing ==> radiators, etc.

Those multi-pump tops DO work, don't get me wrong, but for the performance junkies out there, running a loop with independent pumps plumbed in series will give you the absolute best performance possible.

Care to explain?

Imo i can connect 20 fans using a single channel using the same cable.... And my limiting factor is the 2.3 amps that can go trough using 18 gauge wire...

I am by no means an expert in this area but, back when i got my aqauero lt5, i wrote to aqua computers and asked how many GT AP15s i could connect to each channel.

The response was, 2 fans max, and 3 fans if i added the heatsink, maybe five if i added watercooling. They also explained why, but i cant for the life of my tell you why, as i am no expert in capaciters and amps and watts. What i on the other hand know, it how to get around the issue, and this is the option you need to consider. Some one will see this and explain, or google it, or ask in the forum, this is important!

A PWM hub. With this you have a pwm cable from your fan controller, that also has pwm. To the hub. You can hook the up 2 or 3 fans per channel, the difference is, the hub is powered via molex or sata power normally. The advantage it, you use the fan controller, it still controls, but you arnt putting any strain on it. The more fans, the more amps you will be pulling threw the fan controller. They have a max amp they can take, and the more fans you add, the more amps you will need to pull threw, the more you pull, the more hest you make, and all components have a limit. You limit is not your cables, its you controller.

As i said, im expert, but i get the logic behind why you do not hook up 80fans to one controller, i urge you to seek much more knowlagde on this before you run all your wires.

Short story, i have a friend that mods, young guy. He made a water setup, hooked up 8fans to his MSI Mpower, powered it on, and poff, went off, he spent hours talking to me on skype, suddenly it hit me, he was running all fans off the motherboard, plus the pump. I told him to unplug the fans, which to bios b and try. Booted with no issues, it was simply trying to draw too much from the motherboard, luckly the boards protects itself, a fsn controller will not.

Last edited:
The new aquaero 6 is an improved version of the aquaero 5. Our main target was a dramatic increase of the available power on the outputs. Other than the aquaero 5 which works with an analog voltage control, this time we used very efficient switching controllers of the latest generation. The performance capability of the aquaero 5 is mainly limited by the temperature of the voltage regulators since they become pretty hot when you attach some stuff and use it with lower voltages. The aquaero 6 has no problems in this area and the maximum power is only limited by the current which means you can go to the limits without worrying about the temperatures. To make this possible we had to redesign everything around the voltage regulators with a special attention to the thermal design. This time we placed more than 250 elements on the PCB without changing its size. For the first time we use a multi-layer PCB for the aquaero.

aquaero_6_front_thumb.jpg aquaero_6_rueckseite_thumb.jpg

The maximum current per channel is 2,5A (30W at 12V) without any special cooling. The aquaero 6 does not even have a passive heatsink! Anyway, we will also offer a waterblock for the aquaero 6 since it will allow to go a bit further with a maximum of 3A (36W at 12V). Of course the voltage regulators also handle short peaks above this rating to make sure that fans and pumps will spin up. The new controllers also feature some new directly integrated security features. For example they can switch of a channel in less than 1/100000s if you have a short circuit. Also the temperature, current and voltage monitoring has been improved. The 5V supply which for example powers the CPU or display got a new protection circuit which will disconnect the power supply if there is an overvoltage. Another nice thing to mention is the pretty low voltage drop with that new design which is only 0,5 to 0,8V between the power supply and the outputs.

So, what does that mean for the real world? For example you can connect 80 fans in total (20 per channel) and control them in the full range from 0 to 100% - as said without additional cooling! Or you connect 40 fans and two Laing D5 pumps which we have done here in this demonstration video:

aquaero_6_last_thumb.jpg

The available power should be no longer a question and to take full advantage of it all channels are 4-pin PWM compatible now. PWM fans can be also stopped by cutting their voltage supply. Normally a PWM fan will always run at a specific minimum speed if there is no or a too low PWM frequency signal.

The onboard memory of the aquaero 6 has become larger and offers four time more space for log data or whatever the future brings.

All these new features have their price... we understand that not everyone needs that massive amount of power so the aquaero 5 series will stay in our assortment of goods. That means the aquaero 6 will not replace the aquaero 5 - it will extend its possibilities. So if you want to enter the world of aquaeros it still starts with 59.90 Euro for the aquaero 5 LT and will end with the aquaero 6 XT as the top-of-the line model for 179.90 Euro. The aquaero 6 will be also available as a PRO version for 149.90 Euro. A LT variant of the aquaero 6 will not be available.
(mentioned prices include 19% VAT)

The delivery of the new aquaero series will start at the beginning of October this year. At that time we will also release a new update of the aquasuite 2013 software which will support the new aquaeros and brings some new features to both generations. If you already own an aquaero 5 or plan to get this one, there is no reason to worry about the future support. Since both versions of the devices are based on the same firmware it means that every update will work for both of them. The only exception could be special extensions in the future (there is noting planed right now). If they require a lot of memory they would be reserved to the aquaero 6 because of its larger onboard memory.

Last but not least a little time travel:

aquaero_generationen_thumb.jpg

10 years of development in one photo. Even without special knowledge about electronics you can easily tell the changes from version to version, especially if you compare the aquaero 3.07 to the latest one.

And if this is the first time you read about the aquaero you might be interested in some screenshots of the software:

aquasuite2012_1_tn.png aquasuite2012_2_tn.png

aquasuite2012_3_tn.png aquasuite2012_4_tn.png

Source

I might be grabbing this controller towards the end of the year or next year if nothing else is in the market of similar quality.

I love my LT5 which is the cheapest! I am considering upgrading to the 6, to get the pwm channels. I freaking love my Aquaero. I have 2x pwm hubs in my phantek primo.

If I could go back I would rather have all their pumps, reservoirs and sensors from them since they are made for each other with many great features. Apparently some 3rd party pumps don't sit well with the A6 or you need to mod some wiring. I am not a engineer by any means or a modder. Chances are I'd fry everything if I tried. I am really surprised they didn't do the extra work for compatibility with other 3rd party components. I've heard the 3rd party 2-pin temp probes work, I mean it won't take rocket science for them in that aspect. The flow sensors and some PWM pumps won't from my understanding and if I recall correctly. It has to be their products. Wish they just fixed that if they're going to make this piece of premium hardware at a premium price.

They don't respond as quickly as they do for German speaking customers on their forums. The english section is like a ghost town at times.

I had a lot of questions about this controller and most of these reasons are why I held back as I literally almost purchased it last winter.

My apologies Miguel, hope you don't feel like were taking over your build log.

why go PVC if you can go braided Stainless Steel ? :)
12240.jpg

why go PVC if you can go braided Stainless Steel ? :)
12240.jpg

Man, this Aeromotive AN fittings and Stainless Steel Braided lines remind me of my 1000 horse power tubocharged Corvette Convertible that I sold it in 2007. Yeah I 've used a lot of these fittings and lines for the fuel system.

Back