• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Super Monster Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So is it 10 80mm monsta's again? And how many rads are going with what loop and how much pumping power again? This thing is ridiculously amazing and crazy at the same time. :rofl: I honestly might use 3-4 pumps in series per loop or at least put a dual between the half points of each loop and the other dual pumps at the other end. Holy smokes this is nuts! Can't wait to see the flow meter reading when all is said and done let alone the temps. :D

10 480mm monsta rads 1 loop 2 d5s in series :sn:

I been thinking alot about mo-ra

I keep beating my self for this, initially i wanted alot of radiators =) 10 sounded like a perfect number, then i looked for the biggest 120 i could fit in there, and end up with 120.40 which sounded great :)

but the monsta being out of stock, i been thinking alot more about those mora

Also those mora are really restrictive, while all 10 monsta willl probably be as restrictive as a dual vga block.... still thinking about it

And actually the same thing im doing in the top im doing it at the bottom, so i could save alot in fittings, and rads them self...

so that means i could run 1 mora 140.9 top, then 2 monsta just under it, 2 monsta in the front and 1 mora 140.9 in the bottom...

So i would go from a 120.40 to a 120.34 and from $129*6 = $774 to $208*2=416 and save on fittings and tubings and less worry about leaking

but the look of 3 480mm monsta on top is priceless :)

10 480mm monsta rads 1 loop 2 d5s in series :sn:

2 sets of D5s or just a set of D5s? You'll need lots of pumping power for something like this. I haven't seen anyone fit that much heat surface, let alone all the other resistant points of the loop, i.e. blocks, angle fittings etc, in all beast builds I've seen.

2 sets of D5s or just a set of D5s? You'll need lots of pumping power for something like this. I haven't seen anyone fit that much heat surface, let alone all the other resistant points of the loop, i.e. blocks, angle fittings etc, in all beast builds I've seen.

At 1.5GPM he MIGHT see 0.2PSI drop per radiator. The Monsta are incredibly low resistance.
So, 10 of them would be 2PSI drop.

Less than a CPU block.

2 d5 in series (so just 1 set)

At 1.5GPM he MIGHT see 0.2PSI drop per radiator. The Monsta are incredibly low resistance.
So, 10 of them would be 2PSI drop.

Less than a CPU block.

How about the angled fittings (QDCs?) and the actual length in the whole loop? Say hypothetically speaking if it was stretched out if you will, that is one lengthy loop and going against gravity in certain places in such a big and tall case. I am just thinking of all the possibilities and makes me believe that 3-4 pumps is feasible for such a extreme complex loop. I mean he can always add 1-2 more if the flow rate shows up inefficient.

How about the angled fittings (QDCs?) and the actual length in the whole loop? Say hypothetically speaking if it was stretched out if you will, that is one lengthy loop and going against gravity in certain places in such a big and tall case. I am just thinking of all the possibilities and makes me believe that 3-4 pumps is feasible for such a extreme complex loop. I mean he can always add 1-2 more if the flow rate shows up inefficient.

Actual length of tubing? Maybe worth 0.1psi. With our flow rates it's darned near negligible.

Fittings and QDCs will depend on exactly what's used. I was simply talking about radiators alone.

Gravity is a non-issue. It's a closed loop, what is pumped in the upward vertical direction will have an equal downward vertical direction later.

^^^ I would still think about more pump power, i would add extra just in case one fails.

2 pumps = 1 fails = 50% of pump power gone! = hot hardware!

Id be going for 3 in a series at least

^^^ I would still think about more pump power, i would add extra just in case one fails.

2 pumps = 1 fails = 50% of pump power gone! = hot hardware!

Id be going for 3 in a series at least

actually... no.
http://martinsliquidlab.org/2011/04/26/pump-setup-series-vs-parallel/

While yes, you loose a theoretical 50%.. in reality you are not.

Also, if you have to rely on pump power to keep loop temps in check, then you've done something wrong in the design.. like not having enough radiator. Pump "power" plays a minor role in the cooling part. Having too much pumping power will have a negative effect. 4x D5 = 4x 18W "dump" in the loop

Of course, a loop like this definitely needs a dual D5... just because of the number of fittings alone :) And for "safety fallback". And yes, a 3th D5 wont hurt, if only because it probably allow to run them all at setting 2

i'ld go for "strategic" placement at "halfway points" throughout the loop. For example before each "bank" of Radiators (Top, Center/Front, Bottom).
If you put the pump after the radiator & before the CPU you are presenting a theoretical extra 18Watts to the CPU, while if you put the pump before the radiator, those theoretical 18W is dissipated by the radiator. Of course in the big scheme of things, those 18W are nothing, but yeah.. why make it easy when it can be done difficult :)

As far as i know there are no Triple, Quad D5 tops.

i'ld go for "strategic" placement at "halfway points" throughout the loop. For example before each "bank" of Radiators (Top, Center/Front, Bottom).
If you put the pump after the radiator & before the CPU you are presenting a theoretical extra 18Watts to the CPU, while if you put the pump before the radiator, those theoretical 18W is dissipated by the radiator. Of course in the big scheme of things, those 18W are nothing, but yeah.. why make it easy when it can be done difficult :)

As far as i know there are no Triple, Quad D5 tops.

Maybe im wrong, but it being a close loop placement of the pumps shouldnt matter

Maybe im wrong, but it being a close loop placement of the pumps shouldnt matter

if it weren't for pressure drop...

so, yes and no.
As far as temps go, in the bigger scheme, the loop as a whole will equalise.. that does not mean you wont have fluctuations within the loop... the water exiting the GPU's will be (slightly) warmer as the water entering the GPU's, for example. wether this difference can be ignored or not depends on OCD values :)
But, as said by having the pump before a rad, you are not adding the "heat" created by the pump to the loop... overall maybe 1 - 2°C, if that.. but OCD rules :)

As for flow... closed loop, hydraulics at work, gravity doesn't matter (much).. as a whole there is no change.. but there are fluctuations.

Pressure wise.... you can add 3 D5's in series, creating a hug pressure front, then go through all rads, fittings, GPU's , then hitting the CPU before returning to the pumps. Depending on how much pressure drop throughout, your CPU-Block/Jet Plate might not be performing optimally. Not to mention the strain on the hoses/fittings just after the pumps :) Also remember that a reservoir is a "zero pressure" zone. I'ld "evenly distribute" pumpt throughout the loop to mitigate the restrictions added .

Look at it like a rollercoaster... they don't launch you off with a 10G acceleration (nobody would survive that) to make sure it gets around the track...no, they have acceleration points at strategic points in the track... mostly before and/or after major "slow down" points.

PS: i know the rollercoaster is not the best metaphore

Look at it like a rollercoaster... they don't launch you off with a 10G acceleration (nobody would survive that) to make sure it gets around the track...no, they have acceleration points at strategic points in the track... mostly before and/or after major "slow down" points.

When was the last time you went to universal and had a ride in Hulk :p or at bush gardens are rode Cheetah hunt or aerosmith in disney :p (not 10g but fast enough) :p

jk i know what u saying.

on the subject of pumps and placement, I too like the idea of "strategically" placed within the loop. I'd run the dual D5 as it's pretty sweet, but then sneak another single D5 in there somewhere at the middle point, just to help out.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe you can prime the loop (fill it) without all the pumps running. as in, fill it with the dual D5 and rez you currently want; then once it's all filled and bled you can turn on the other D5 that you place 6 (or so) radiators down stream.

you're looking at 2 D5 running at setting 3 vs 3 D5 running at setting 2; at this point your machine will make little to no noise and just dissipate heat like a BOSS!

any of you guys have good knowledge in cables? specially 26 awg cables.. seen some websites say max amps is 0.3 other saying is way higher, im trying to run 0.4 using 26 gauge wire and wondering if i can

According to AWG amperage tables, 26 gage wire can do a standard load of 2.2 amps for chassis wiring (think computer case), and .316 amps for power transmission (think long extension cords).
So, if it's under 6 feet long or so, go with the 2.2 amp rating.

I've used 24 gage Cat5e cable for external fan and pump power before too...you can then easily double (or even quadruple) your conductor pairs to keep at a safe load and all in one neat little package.

Last edited:
gotcha cool :)

Thanks for the help
also i just ordered the last of the radiators panels, and 4 more radiators, should be here soon.

Back