• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Surfrat's 651 Results!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You're crazy to RMA it... Either lap it or sell it to me, I'll give you what you paid for it...

That's a 5 gig chip easy.

proth said:
You're crazy to RMA it... Either lap it or sell it to me, I'll give you what you paid for it...

That's a 5 gig chip easy.
People are making far too many assumptions as I explaned to CCU. We have from the start decided to limp these chips along and evaluate our options in a month or two once Intel fixes the bugs on these chips.

Proth if you really wanted this chip you are about 4 hours too late. Had I not helped Surfrat get the temps under control he would have been happy to oblige you on that offer, he still might but I dont know.

dylskee said:
I agree, that's a damn nice chip and i wouldn't send it back and take my chances on getting a dud. But on the other hand these chips are a lot of $$$ and if it's not 100% (Which it isn't) a RMA is COMPLETLY within reason!
(Damn, Patriots just lost)!!!!!!! :cry:
The basis of it was on a matter of function, not clocks. I would hapily at this point take a dud if it meant I wouldnt have to run my fans on full to keep the temps below max die on load.

Now that I added another 120mm fan to the side panel and reveresed my blowhole I have it just barely within spec. Im hoping this will last long enough to get me to AM2 or perhaps another chip.

i agree that a bad IHS is a reason to be upset, but just lap it. the temps will decrease heavily, and there is little to no chance of hurting your chip, due to its lack of pins to bend. And say you do RMA, you get a bad chip. then what are you gonna do? the obvious choice is to ultra-void, even moreso then running with a different cooler and over volting, and lap.

Surfrat, I've been so busy with my own stuff, I didn't even realize that you got you proc running!! Congrats...that's looking like a nice proc so far. Watch those Vc settings when you start getting up there though. I see yours is doing the same big idle overvolt in the P5WD2 that mine did.

Lap that IHS and let's see a 5GHz on air!

Sentential said:
People are making far too many assumptions as I explaned to CCU.
about what exactly?

lapping solves all the problems, and you come out as the good guy in the end, who dind't RMA his cpu that clocks amazingly, just cause there's a slight flaw that's easily fixable. the route i would take, along with i'm sure a lot of other people, is quite obvious ;)

Ross said:
Surfrat, I've been so busy with my own stuff, I didn't even realize that you got you proc running!! Congrats...that's looking like a nice proc so far. Watch those Vc settings when you start getting up there though. I see yours is doing the same big idle overvolt in the P5WD2 that mine did.

Lap that IHS and let's see a 5GHz on air!
Ross I didnt see much of an over-volt at all. That was the first thing that I looked for when we first set up the box.

My guess is that this is a CPUz error as BIOS says that it is being undervolted slightly from vcore set in bios.

As for his vcore there is no way, no how he is going to be able to use any more than effectively stock. His chip like mine, is too hot for much more than stock volts

lol, I had been watching tv with my son, and just came back and started reading this thread. You guys are funny.

Just for the record Sent and I only talked about an RMA, when during the first hour we could not get this thing to idol below 50c. It was extremely disheartening. Now after 9 count them, 9 HSF put ons and take offs, and a full tube of AS5, it is accepatable on the temps, but still not great considering the airflow in my case. Nonetheless, the performance of this chip is nothing short of amazing.

3 hours now of dual Prime and she is still purring along.

The 4.7 was the highest I had it. That was on stock vcore, when we finally got the temps under control. It was not stable at this obviously, but was enough to get into windows and load cpuz.

It is currently load temp of 68c after 3 hours of dual prime, and is not budging from there. Flickers to 67 everyone once in a while. Sent says these Asus board read high, but who knows.

Regardless, other then the IHS/heat issue, I am very very happy with this chip!

if intel can't even get the IHS flat then it makes me wonder how they can pull off such a great chip otherwise. looks like someone needs to wake up in the product control department.

great results so far though. looking forward to hearing what you end at.

Ross I didnt see much of an over-volt at all. That was the first thing that I looked for when we first set up the box.

My guess is that this is a CPUz error as BIOS says that it is being undervolted slightly from vcore set in bios.

As for his vcore there is no way, no how he is going to be able to use any more than effectively stock. His chip like mine, is too hot for much more than stock volts
Ah, I thought the 1.37V on CPU-Z was when he was running 1.32V. IIRC, my BIOS 606 readings were real close to what CPU-Z was showing me (over volt, but more the usual .03-04V). Anyway, vdroop mod fixed all of the over/under volt for good :)

If he's getting those kinds of clocks with that kind of heat and that little Vc, I am with everyone else: keep it and make it work. These seem to be doing just awesome on air and water...phase really hasn't offered any insane clocks over water. I am used to like 600MHz-1GHz more over water on Prescotts, but the 65nms are more like 200-300MHz gains only, so if you're on water, you're not missing out on much if that makes you feel better ;)

One thing that really struck me on these is that the point where they are stable/not stable is a really fine line and very close to the the max OC. Case in point, I booted from BIOS to the desktop and benched SPi @ 5400, but 5490 gives an automatic reboot....that's how close working/not working is :)

Hmm surfat if for some weird reason you get the urge to pull your HS again would you find out how it does with the stock cooler, becuse where you are having a problem is it is higher on the outer edges, I am guessing that it would work better with a rounded HS bottom than the XP-120 monster bottom.

Anyway nice results I decided I can wait maybe a month to pick up a CM not much longer so i'll see what my IHS looks like when it gets here then and if it looks bad i'll probably just lap it since I am going to be nice to this chip.

Oh please. You'll have that thing under dice within a week of getting it and you KNOW it :D

I was going to say earlier and got side tracked, that I wonder if Intel even gives horse's butt about the raised corners exactly because the stock HSF does not go over them? There would still be a depression in the middle, but the sink would not have such a gap. Intel put's enough TIM on their stock sinks to fill the gap we call the Grand Canyon anyway :)

I know the stock 955XE HSF has a larger copper core that probably covers the whole thing...I wonder if their IHS are as concave or if they pay special attention to those?

Well ran two instances of Prime95 for almost 14hours. No errors, so I am gonna go ahead and claim she is stable as a rock!

primestable.JPG

Wow 14 Hours stable, that was on stock Vcore right? Well If you decide to Lap the HS be sure to post if it works or not ;)

CoreGamer said:
Wow 14 Hours stable, that was on stock Vcore right? Well If you decide to Lap the HS be sure to post if it works or not ;)

1.325 vcore in bios, although cpu-z show 1.36.

Surf, that's nice! Now run a PCMark04!! Are you OCing more or staying there? Yeah, watch that idle overvolt...it could be deadly if you start getting into the 1.50Vc+ settings.

I hope you have a good one there and it's looking good so far...

I know...I meant after he laps it :) Did you get your replacement yet?

Back