• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System locks up when playing a game

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
well, ive got a generic one.. thinking it might be the psu?

Couldn't hurt to check. Black screen crashes make me lean in that direction. A generic PSU should be able to handle that system for a little while, you're pulling under 200 watts gaming.

Couldn't hurt to check. Black screen crashes make me lean in that direction. A generic PSU should be able to handle that system for a little while, you're pulling under 200 watts gaming.

Wouldnt that damage my video card? Since it will lack power?

Nope. The GPU uses very little power. Like I said, your whole system uses less than 200 watts.

Got it... im installing my generic psu that came with my cpu case right now, ill try to play a couple of games and wait for the results. I guess were on the right track on this one since ive run stress test on my cpu, gpu and ram, it could be a psu or the mobo..

and the same problem appeared again. I might as well return all parts to have it checked rather than isolating the problem. This is so confusing..

Ive found something in google to try to disable the sound but I cant play any games with the sounds disabled, im getting error messages in dirt2 and assasins creed 2...

My graphics card causes this very same problem. Its due to overheating if im honest because since doing so my computer has BSOD and now my graphics card is fryed :L
If i was you, manually control the speed of your graphics card fan, and put it at around 70% when playing a game, and then 40% when not playing a game, otherwise eventually your graphics card will overheat and windows will stop it from working because of the risk it causes to harming other hardware components.

Any temperature could mean overheating for a GPU if previously its overheated and fryed the cooling system. Another suggestion would be to physically touch the graphics card and see how hot its running on start-up.
I.E. Start you computer and let it boot fully, leave it on for around 10 minutes and just press your fingers on the card. If its really hot, then your card is fryed and i would suggest buying a new one.

i agree, im tracking down my temp using gpuz and 60c is ok.. for a virus? uhm, ive switch over to 3 os now from windows xp> vista home premium> vista ultimate. I did a clean osri.

I highly doubt 60c is "overheating" for a gpu, run furmark to test the gpu.

Viruses maybe?

Any temperature could mean overheating for a GPU if previously its overheated and fryed the cooling system. Another suggestion would be to physically touch the graphics card and see how hot its running on start-up.
I.E. Start you computer and let it boot fully, leave it on for around 10 minutes and just press your fingers on the card. If its really hot, then your card is fryed and i would suggest buying a new one.

nope, its not hot, i can touch it with no problems..

So has this graphics card actually been used before with no problems at all?
Have you run a stability test using the nVidia control panel?

i gotta ask why your not getting a "VPU Recover" if it is a GPU problem with an ATI card?

i really suspect a CPU or Memory or driver issue, with that style of lockup.
So you did a Prime, but did you do the Torture test prime with the small FFT? and your temps are ok
You did a Memtest, but can you lower the memory voltage a Teeney bit and still pass a FULL memtest86 as booted from a dos or linux disk?
then put its voltage back up again.

then check 1/2 way through playing games, if you have any major Memory problems, configure the taskmanager thing to show how much memory each program is using, and then go to the performace tab and check your memory quantity there.
also set your paging file (ONLY because your the tiniest bit light on memory, not because it wont work) to a 2 gig locked out paging size.

To check the sound without disabling it Go into DIRECTXdiag and go to the Sound tab and move the hardware acceleration for the sound down ALL the way.
then if that is stable keep moving it up one notch.

then try and see if there is a different audio driver, mabey find a "cheapest" soundblaster thing and try it.

i just hate onboard audio , pet peeve ya know, still could be 3-4 different things easy. and i say you dont have much of a problem, and nothing that cant be worked out with a bit of tweaking adjusting and mabey one more part. heck your This close .

Last edited:
So has this graphics card actually been used before with no problems at all?
Have you run a stability test using the nVidia control panel?

well, ive bought the video card last december and I just played games with it last january, ive been busy with work and the problem is random.I taught a glitch just happen. I seldom play games and it will only occure when playing a game. I started playing around june and became an addict gamer and thats when ive notice that theres really something serious about the locking up issue. I did a stability test and followed the instructions I found on this forums.. everything passed. But I havent tried any king of tweaking since im a noob. and what is a VPU recover?

VPU recover is a really bad name for GPU crash recovery.
when the video card crashes because of overclock , or temperatures , The software spots it, and runs a reset on the video card, and get it going again as if nothing happened. Other than the big blurt and blank screen for a while.

a full crash can still happen without the card or software recovering, but usually that is seen as the screen breaking up and the grafics freezing. Then AFTER the breakup the audio and the rest of the process could also freeze.

It still could crash the exact same way you stated, it is just less likly to have been observed that way. And a VPU recover can happen again and again, potentially (but rarer) . with the gamer still playing.

the card/software being able to spot the impending problem and recovering is in the small area between a Hard crash of the card, and some minor artifacts. a Hard crash could still be unrecoverable, and some minor breakups could be ignored as a fail.

someday i will be able to say that correct.

Last edited:
Back