• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System locks up when playing a game

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ive havent done any kind of overclocking and the only configuration that ive change is the memory voltage from auto to 2.0v since its the default voltage of my team xtreme 800 ram. Thats about it. im not getting any vpu recover or cpu recovery error message, in fact im not getting any error repports in windows, no error message under event viewer.

When I've had issues with temps too high in the past my systems have just shut power off entirely. They did not lock up and repeat a sound. I would consider checking out if your drivers for both sound and video are up to date. The fact that 3d Mark works for hours, but a game locks it up makes me think it's NOT video card related per se. It could be included in the issue like the video conflicts with the audio, but I don't think it is strictly video related.

I would google to see if anyone with that motherboard, or better yet audio setup, has had similar issues. How do movies go on your system? Any other weird unrelated audio issues?

movies are good, no problems with playing them on my 52inch plasma. And youre right ive run test on 3dmark for more than 6hours and they didnt freeze up. I found something in google to disable my sounds and play a game, but I cant do that in dirt2 or in ac2. Im been thinking now that it might be a mobo problem..

If there is ANY single game where this problem occurs, then you disable the sound, then the issue no longer occurs, you are greatly narrowing the scope of the investigation. If this is the case please let us know just that.

Can you disable the sound in the BIOS? Other sound settings? Can you disable the on board sound then use a cheap sound card for now? (If this fixes it then you can get a good one)

I've had a couple of older systems where I had to disable the on board sound and just use a sound card. Haven't seen it in a while, but I also don't game now like I did back then.

Sure I can. I can disable the sounds via device manager, dirt2 or assasins creed 2 wouldnt work, ill try to play other games for the mean time and observe it. Thanks guys for all the help, really do appreciate it.

To check the sound without disabling it Go into DIRECTXdiagnosis and go to the Sound tab and move the hardware acceleration for the sound down ALL the way.
then if that is stable when playing games for hours on end , then keep moving it up one notch.
this will cause sound to be processed in the cpu (software) instead of the Audio chipset (hardware)
Very old trick that hasnt been used in ages, mabey doesnt work in W7 ?

DXdiag.exe

If taking off sound acceleration Fixes a total crashing issue, it may be a sound driver problem, a driver conflict, or just a POS onboard sound.

To check the sound without disabling it Go into DIRECTXdiagnosis and go to the Sound tab and move the hardware acceleration for the sound down ALL the way.
then if that is stable when playing games for hours on end , then keep moving it up one notch.
this will cause sound to be processed in the cpu (software) instead of the Audio chipset (hardware)
Very old trick that hasnt been used in ages, mabey doesnt work in W7 ?

DXdiag.exe

If taking off sound acceleration Fixes a total crashing issue, it may be a sound driver problem, a driver conflict, or just a POS onboard sound.

good suggestions, i might as well enjoy games with sounds while testing it..

Psycogeec is suggesting the easy way. Mine is the hard way. Definitely try the easy way first. If no luck try the hard way then post back results. :) Good Luck

I went into dxdiags but dont see the hardware acceleration under sounds tab. heres what I have

dxdiags_sound.jpg

I guess ill try mcgrace suggestions..

which means one of 2 things, there is no hardware acceleration with the sound device your using, the drivers are not installed fully or compatable with the system.
there is obviously a driver installed, and of sufficent date to assume it is up to date.

well plus there is, it might be different on the system or dx your using and things changed.

duhh, i just thought of the way to Confirm that there is no audio hardware acceleration. (now i remember)
run the "test Direct Sound" in there, and half way through the test , it will say "sorry hardware tests cant be done" I had to start actually reading the requester to spot it.

but then you dont have that button either? is this an HDMI sound output from that new (and not altogether bug free) HDmi out on the video card?

May be time to disable in BIOS, or at least check what settings are available in bios...

I had an issue like this with onboard sound. I just got a soundblaster off newegg for 20 bucks and rocked. Strongly suggest that is your issue here. Just get something simple, IMHO.

will give it another week, if it doesnt freeze up using the onboard sound that its a mobo issue then.. good thing its still under warranty

so far so good.. been playing assasins creed 2 with no sounds (bummer) and system is still not freezing up, been running 3dmark everynight too, making sure that there are no problems with my video card... il post again after a few days

and again it freezes up on me. i was playing assasins creed 2 with the sounds disabled and again it turned black and the my computer wont responds to anything. any other ideas before I return the video card and mobo to the shop?

Somewhere in the bios is an option that says something like "restart on error." If this is disabled, you would lock up on an error. If it is enabled, then this isn't the problem. Good luck.

its disabled inside bios.. well.. I just had enough, im bringing my video card and my motherboard back. thanks for all the help

Back