• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

That was an easy 7700k delid

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Delid tool getting passed around? Can i be a part of that? Im thinking it might be time to delid my 3770k, but with no relid kit do i just eyeball the IHS placement when i relid?

This tool is for Skylake/Kaby Lake. I don't know if it's going to work with Ivy Bridge, socket is a bit different and PCB is thicker.
To relid you don't need tool but these for SL/KL have spot in the center to put pressure and all IHS is in correct place what makes everything easier.

It's good for ANY 11xx series CPU. Shoot, I'm selling mine on Feeabay since the job is done. I think I'm going to get more than I paid for the whole thing. It's up to like 60 bucks now. The size of the PCB doesn't matter.

I was also shocked at how easy it was to delid my 7700k, I was just glad when it powered back on after, lol.

Why? It's a piece of cake with the 7700K. There are absolutely no transistors or anything in the way. I bet you heard the pop after about 2 -3 half turns. I was more afraid applying the Cool Laboratory Ultra. I don't like conductive TIMs. I only used it on the die itself.

This tool is for Skylake/Kaby Lake. I don't know if it's going to work with Ivy Bridge, socket is a bit different and PCB is thicker.
To relid you don't need tool but these for SL/KL have spot in the center to put pressure and all IHS is in correct place what makes everything easier.

It's good for ANY 11xx series CPU. Shoot, I'm selling mine on Feeabay since the job is done. I think I'm going to get more than I paid for the whole thing. It's up to like 60 bucks now. The size of the PCB doesn't matter.

"Designed to safely delid Intel LGA 1155, 1150 and 1151 Safe for Haswell, Ivy Bridge, Devil's Canyon and Skylake Perfect for the Kaby"

https://rockitcool.myshopify.com

$38 total for the delid/relid kit hmmm....

$38 total for the delid/relid kit hmmm....

$0 total for a razor blade. Just think, if this tool dident exist everyone would still be using razor blades. Nothing changed, it's still plenty easy to use free material to delid without killing your CPU.

It's really easy to kill SL/KL using razor because of thin PCB and high pressure you have to put to cut glue under the IHS. Many users around the web had problems with that. Somehow I haven't seen anyone doing it wrong with any tool designed for delidding. I've delidded couple of processors using razor but I wouldn't risk some chips knowing I can get delidding tool for $35.

Other thing is that delidding is not fixing all issues. If you have CPU which is not overclocking good then it's not worth delidding. If you have CPU which is used for gaming at lower frequency then it's not worth delidding. If you have chip which runs at lower temps or difference between cores is really low like 1-4°C then it's not worth delidding.

$0 total for a razor blade. Just think, if this tool dident exist everyone would still be using razor blades. Nothing changed, it's still plenty easy to use free material to delid without killing your CPU.

I could also use a free water bottle with a sprayer to rinse down the exterior walls of my house, but i'd rather use a pressure washer.

I bought the tool and I've done a few more for friends, and I've made 20 bucks offering the service on ebay, lol.

Sold it on ebay and now the buyer says one of the screws is missing and the relid kit is worn. I checked that every piece was there before I shipped it. I can take a picture of a missing screw too. Heck, I can take a picture of all the screws missing. The "worn" part is probably a little superglue that got on it that wouldn't hurt its use at all. They had to add that piece in case I said that I found the screw and will send it to you. Result= They used to delid their CPU, now they want their money back.

Sold it on ebay and now the buyer says one of the screws is missing and the relid kit is worn. I checked that every piece was there before I shipped it. I can take a picture of a missing screw too. Heck, I can take a picture of all the screws missing. The "worn" part is probably a little superglue that got on it that wouldn't hurt its use at all. They had to add that piece in case I said that I found the screw and will send it to you. Result= They used to delid their CPU, now they want their money back.

That's why I hate selling stuff on ebay. I've had stuff like that happen many times...

Yeah that's BS. I would've kept it or sold it here instead. Hope it works out.

I gave them a full refund, but asked that if they actually used it, to send it back to me at their expense. Let's see if I ever see it.

I had another yesterday, but this one was real. I sold a 480 rad. I had it in bubble wrap in the box. I had the box bubble wrapped in another box. USPS still managed to smash the top of it, big time. How do smash brass?

Dam. Witchy shipped me 2 480 rads and they both got here safe and sound. That reminds me I gotta pm him :bang head

You may be able to drill holes, attach screws, then use a torch to heat it up the dented area and use a puller to pull on the screws to pull the smashed area back out. Hope that works out for ya.

Back