• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I had to put the view distance stuff on the high setting because I think my processor was crashing from the load...this doesn't make sense though...Also with doing that I get like 40-50 fps on a single 6950...haven't tried it in Crossfire yet but I'm not sure what difference that would make.

A big gripe is their is no raw mouse input support...I have done the commands to 'disable' vsync and mouse acceleration and it's still all smoothed out..kinda lame.

I am a little bit disappointed the textures on buildings look very flat, was hoping for more of a rocky feel as you'd expect. The same with stone/pebble pathways. But I can really over look that.

The scenery is just amazing, a real step up from Oblivion and that was a stunning game visually a few years back.

I have everything maxed out except for FSAA is unticked and AA is only set to 2x. I'm playing on 1920x1200 and I do feel it's a little bit laggy, maybe optimized drivers will fix that.

The combat system, I am really saddened by it, attacking an enemy with my sword, there is no reaction, just a little blood splatter, no animation to show I inflicted a wound, or any physical emotion :(

The interface for your inventory, skills, etc.. Feels blatantly right off the console, some options I can click on with the mouse, others I have to use an WASD key. That's not right..

Cannot comment at all about the storyline as I'm only just finished the tutorial/intro part.

Pretty much what I expected, thanks for posting the quick info

Maybe the game is a bit CPU intensive causing your FPS issues?

decided to install it to give it a shot.

To agree with the above, the menu/interface system is awful (using WASD to change screens is very unintuitive).
edit: apparently a patch may have/has fixed this, going to test it out
double edit: no issues now.

Graphics really aren't that bad, but then again I have 2 GTX580s in SLI so I can max out the game 100% (80+ FPS).

The combat is about as meh as I thought it would be.

The mouse-look just doesn't seem right, vertical sensitivity is way higher than horizontal, makes it feel very awkward when looking around.

I've seen some weird graphical/physics issues, for example in the cart at the very beginning of the game, if I looked around enough the cart would literally tumble/flip over (I then reloaded and didn't look around at all and it was fine)... I also am getting a lot of flickering when I am walking around outside - maybe an SLI issue (running the very latest beta nVidia drivers)
edit: the issue is apparently related to SLI, I disabled SLI and the flickering went away.

Best part so far - I just got to the first town and killed a chicken that was in the streets, and now I am hated and can't interact with the people, good thing I just saved a few minutes beforehand. Sigh.

Last edited:
Impressions:
My views on the game will likely Mirror quite a few others. First off....runs great on Ultra 1900x (x4 AA/AF) frames are any where from 30-60.
It looks and feels like Oblivion/Fallout...kinda clunky in many ways. So graphically its not revolutionary. But...not to contradict myself, it looks beautiful at the same time. I am just a bit tired of that Oblivion/fallout look when interacting w/ NPC's...very stiff and the game does look dated but we came for the story and an immersive world which so far....the game is delivering!

When you say Ultra do you mean 1920x1080+ res, everything ticked/on and 4XAA / 16XAF / FXAA? my rig below goes down to 30-40fps just in the opening moving wagon i find it extremly hard to believe you get solid 60's with MAX settings, got to be more specific. Veiw distant, distant objects? all that maxed out? that is Ultra, not just a couple settings that say "Ultra"

this is what I have

23jsl6v.png.jpg

I just tried the game at FULL Ultra settings and I am getting 30-47 fps outside in daylight.
Its very playable on full settings so far.
capture1cw.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
capturegxc.jpg

Last edited:
this is what I have

The post below you is showing absolute max, where are your view distances set?

I just tried the game at FULL Ultra settings and I am getting 30-47 fps outside in daylight.
Its very playable on full settings so far.
capture1cw.jpg
capturegxc.jpg

I get about 10fps more than you, i'm calling this game unoptimized, or keeping my firm belief that the GTX 580 is a POS - already made my grip about how much i hate this card vs my old ATi's, another story, but i can believe the 5870 would do well, some monster cards, i loved all of my X870/X970's. I think what i'm most curious about is how that card is holding those settings with 1GB of VRAM when those settings are pulling 1.5GBs (about 50%) of my GTX 580.

At those same settings i'm getting 50-60fps with VSync, but harsh dips into the 30's when i break over a hill, it's short lived but it's noticeable, inside of a town with NPCs it's a pretty solid 45 fs without Vsync, but in all fairness the game still runs smooth even at 30fps, it doesn't jitter around like most other games.

Anyone running this on 5850s (wondering about xfire/driver support)? I'm still on the fence about this game due to mixed reviews calling it "clunky" but also worried about performance. Though judging by how a 5870 performs, this is looking to next on my "to buy" list if it handles xfire correctly...

More reviews people! Chop, chop. :)

So far, it looks like Ati got the short end of the stick. No crossfire support at all.
I have the retail version sitting on my desk at work right now and have to wait until 4PM to leave and play it!

Anyone running this on 5850s (wondering about xfire/driver support)? I'm still on the fence about this game due to mixed reviews calling it "clunky" but also worried about performance. Though judging by how a 5870 performs, this is looking to next on my "to buy" list if it handles xfire correctly...

More reviews people! Chop, chop. :)

Use the Bioshock profile for Crossfire support, it's not going to be the -best- ability at using it but it's going to make the other card sweat it out alittle, it's a band-aid until the next driver releases, or a CAP that has the profile.

2x 4770's maxed out are giving me 30-35fps lots of dips, VRAM usage is 780MBs (weird), but it has strange screen tearing (vertical) with Vsync on, turning it off helps.

1x 5850 is better than this pair of 4770's most likely. I would guess you could run max settings or real close to it at similar (give or take 5fps) frame rates to a 5970? I'll test out the 5970 tomorrow, going to get some game time in for now.

Last edited:
Pretty much what I expected, thanks for posting the quick info

Maybe the game is a bit CPU intensive causing your FPS issues?

decided to install it to give it a shot.

To agree with the above, the menu/interface system is awful (using WASD to change screens is very unintuitive).
edit: apparently a patch may have/has fixed this, going to test it out
double edit: no issues now.

Graphics really aren't that bad, but then again I have 2 GTX580s in SLI so I can max out the game 100% (80+ FPS).

The combat is about as meh as I thought it would be.

The mouse-look just doesn't seem right, vertical sensitivity is way higher than horizontal, makes it feel very awkward when looking around.

I've seen some weird graphical/physics issues, for example in the cart at the very beginning of the game, if I looked around enough the cart would literally tumble/flip over (I then reloaded and didn't look around at all and it was fine)... I also am getting a lot of flickering when I am walking around outside - maybe an SLI issue (running the very latest beta nVidia drivers)
edit: the issue is apparently related to SLI, I disabled SLI and the flickering went away.

Best part so far - I just got to the first town and killed a chicken that was in the streets, and now I am hated and can't interact with the people, good thing I just saved a few minutes beforehand. Sigh.

Yeah I don't understand that though. I am running an i7 at 4.2 GHz...surely it wouldn't be THAT taxing on it. Also I think due to the ultra high settings my PC locks up and I have to reset it...meaning maybe a CPU issue? Very confusing because I have done p95 for over 12 hours with no problems over a few nights in a row. I'm (hopefully) going to chalk it up to horrible AMD optimization and that drivers are what is causing me to crash.

Any results for physx/no physx?

No cloth PhysX that iv'e seen, the beginning cave there had flags but they dont react to you, the water, maybe, i can't confirm or deny. There is a PhysX file in the folder and the streaming water in /hidden dungeon looks incredible hitting against the rocks and dripping back down the slope following the path. If somebody told me it was path rendered with PhysX i'd believe them. No questions asked.

What about the rocks that rain from the sky when the very beginning dragon attacks, i didn't take much time to stand there and watch it but the rocks break into a bunch of different pieces, does that count?

Last edited:
Another update, if you get crazy flickering enable v-sync, I did so and I don't have the flickering anymore in the game. Annoying to get locked down to 60fps though when I could be pushing over 100 easily with my setup (as I was before). @Kohta, my single 580s set in single and SLI were both pushing over 60-70fps (single) and over 100fps (SLI) with everything maxed out. I toned down a tiny bit of the draw distance (no reason for it) but with AA/AF all the way up etc. Now that I have v-sync on it never dips below 59 from what I've seen.

Back