• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Official E5200 Club

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i "use" an e5200 in my HTPC. I say "use" because my HTPC is currently out of commision due to no mobo. :(

I tested it once in my gaming PC, idle temps were at 45 with intel stock HSF :(

Cheers bobnova.
Failed after 17 mins though lol :(
Temps aren't gonna be an issue but im already on 1.39vcore (bios) 1.36 (cpuz), so only 2 notches away from 1.4 which i dont really wanna pass.
I dont really know of any other way to stabalise it. All my games work well and my system seems stable, but 17mins small fft's is clearly not stable.
Any ideas anyone? xD

i "use" an e5200 in my HTPC. I say "use" because my HTPC is currently out of commision due to no mobo. :(

I tested it once in my gaming PC, idle temps were at 45 with intel stock HSF :(

You can't really trust idle temps on these 45nm CPUs (Intel has said anything reported below 50*C can be highly inaccurate).

I've also noticed that idle temps seem to be a bit high even w/ a decent aftermarket cooler. It could be partly due to the TIM interface b/n the die and IHS which is inferior to the soldered interface b/n the die and IHS on the higher end CPUs (E8x00).

The main thing to worry about is load temps, though. Idle temps really don't mean much.

Cheers bobnova.
Failed after 17 mins though lol :(
Temps aren't gonna be an issue but im already on 1.39vcore (bios) 1.36 (cpuz), so only 2 notches away from 1.4 which i dont really wanna pass.
I dont really know of any other way to stabilize it. All my games work well and my system seems stable, but 17mins small fft's is clearly not stable.
Any ideas anyone? xD

Did you try any extra vtt? It didn't really help me, but it might help you.

Can I join? I has E5300. :(

It's not my thread, but I don't see why not. They are basically the same CPU, and you will be able to get to a very similar final OC (300-350 x 10.5-12.5). The extra multi doesn't really come into play on these chips since it's so high to begin with.

Last edited:
Can I join? I has E5300. :(

Suuuuure, they're all the same CPU anyway :p

I left mine folding at 3870 this morning, now it's lunch so i'll go home and check on it. I'm going to write down the bios settings too, and post 'em.

Did you try any extra vtt? It didn't really help me, but it might help you.

Hmm, thanks for reply, will have to check what that actually is lol, 'total noob'
Could some1 kindly let me know a little info on 'vtt' please, will check net for official descriptions but it would also be nice to have a little (more relevant) info off an oc'er.
thanks

Vtt is also known as something else, my motherboard doesn't list it.

Here're my current settings:

308x12.5 (3850mhz)
101mhz pcie
266NB strap
772 for ram.
1.393 vcore bios, 1.368CPU-z
.63x GTL
1.64PLL
1.2FSB Termination.
1.2NB
1.1SB.

10minutes and counting of folding stability.
It failed around the 5 minute mark with .02v less vcore and the same settings otherwise.

EDIT:
Half an hour of stable folding with MP3s playing and such too, i'm going to declare it solid and go for 3.9...

~3450PPD with mp3s and firefox and pidgin going, it's nice :D

Last edited:
I decided to borrow your your settings 'bobnova'

308x12.5
and bumped pll up a notch to 1.65
1.393vcore (bios) 1.360 (cpuz)

And presto, everything seems stable so far - 39 mins small fft's so far xD
I have no idea what pll is but it seemed to have a nice impact on stability.
What where your temps at this speed?
Ive got 35c idle 58c load
I believe we have the same cooling so would interest me see the diff

308x12.5

thats nice to know, when i get my new mb through (should be the 30th) il give that vcore and fsb ago

That's why i posted 'em, we need a database of e5200 settings and results :D

Temps are about 50-56*c load and 37-42*c idle, this is in linux so no speedstep. In XP speedstep works fine, doesn't drop the voltage just the multi, and it idles a couple degrees cooler. My ambient goes from 55-60*f in the morning to 80-90 in the afternoon, so load temps especially vary widely.

PLL i read about, then promptly forgot what it is.

A word of warning: FSB Termination voltage will fry a cpu in very short order, intels max spec (which they say shouldn't kill it too quickly is 1.6 or 1.7. It's mainly for high FSB, which 300-350 is not.

EDIT:
110 minutes of folding, this is stable.
Next up, 3875(310x12.5). So far i've hit 3870 bootable(few days ago), but it ate it within a minute when i fired FAH up. That was different settings though.

2.EDIT:
310x12.5 is not stable. I may have hit the end. I'll try some things tonight though.

3.edit
Still no go at 310, trying lower pll now. 1.54 is working so far.

Last edited:
Vtt is also known as something else, my motherboard doesn't list it.

1.2FSB Termination.

That's it. Vtt is called FSB Termination Voltage on Asus boards.

Typically an extra 0.1v can do wonders (stock is 1.1v on P45, and 1.2v on P35/X38/X48). Beyond that you have to really push the chip hard to see much benefit, but definitely keep it below 1.45v.

308x12.5

If you can run it at 1.6v PLL and remain stable then do it. 1.65v PLL is pushing it a bit for 45nm. I definitely wouldn't go above 1.65v except for suicide runs.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! I'll try a bit more vtt and see if that helps.

I'm still stable with the above settings except 1.54v PLL (down from 1.6).
Maybe 1.3vtt will get me to my goal of 320x12.5 :D

1.26 didn't get me any more stability then 1.2.
Now i'm moving on to clock skew, trying 500/200 cpu/nb.

While i was typing, fah crashed. So much for that.
Maybe i'll try 315, might be a fsb hole or something.

EDIT:
3850 seems to be as high as it'll go stable, i haven't tried >1.4v bios yet, that's further then i'm willing to go.

Now i'm lowing voltage one step at a time to see how low it'll go stable.

Last edited:
If you do skews try and keep them the same or pretty close. But I've never had very much luck getting them to help. Perhaps if you could run P95 for ~8hrs, but then crash, then the skews might be enough to get you over the hump to 24/7 stability.

One step lower voltage results in crashes. I guess this is it, heh.

Not close enough for skews it sounds like, the unstable flavors are lucky to make it 20 minutes, usually <8.

So while FAH runs for hours at 3800+, superpi(linux version) won't run for more then ten seconds.
At 3300 it still won't run more then a minute or two before failing. Now this is odd, because i folded for days at~3300 without a single issue.
In all cases, it's a segmentation fault returned.
I shuffled ram settings, still seg faulted. Changed NB straps, still seg faulted.

EDIT:
Went to windows and prime95, at 3870 core#2 has a rounding error within seconds, like two, tops.
Turned it down 10fsb to 3725 and it's much happier, that must just be the limit of that core.
On the plus side, it means that it isn't a ram or motherboard issue (unless such can effect only one core, which seems unlikely).

Temps doing prime95's blend test peak at 61*c, usually more like 58*c.

Last edited:
hey bobniva can you list your bios settings, i tried getting to 333x11 last night but nothing would work, right now I have it doin a blend test at 333 x10.5 its been on all night and day and still going stable, i also lowered my vcore to 1.38.

id like to know what your nb and sb voltages are

Quick question about acceptable temps on the e5200. For reference, I'm using an MSI Neo3-F, Rosewill RCX-Z775 heatsink and Tuniq TX-2 compound with an overclock of 300x12.5 @ 1.365v (1.35 after vdroop).

Idle - 38-40c @ 24c ambient
BOINC load - 50c @ 24c ambient
OCCT load - 62c @ 24c ambient, max temp 8 hour burn in.
Linpack load - 71c @ 24c ambient, max temp 8 hour burn in.

I thought these temps might be a little on the high side, so I wanted to get a reference temp @ stock frequency and voltage. Strange thing though is that when I set voltage to "default" on my MSI board it reads 1.37v on CPUz and temps aren't much better. I'm wondering if these temps seem acceptable, it's stable but a little concerning.

Last edited:
For giggles i dropped 'em down to 1.1, didn't make a difference. It's worth noting that i'm limited by slightly defective math unit in core#2, it's bad at rounding.

Aparrantly the p45 NB is fine on 1.1v till 400 fsb or so, and 1.2 carries it almost to 500.
Our 300ish levels are cake for it.
This, of course, assumes a P45 NB.

Right now i'm at all minimum volts except vcore, which is at 1.27v, 270x12.5, with the ram at 900-4-4-4-12.
I have to sneak up on things all over again now that i've discovered that folding stable and superpi/prime95 stable are very different beasts. (I'm much happier believing that then thinking that i toasted the FPU in one core :p 1.37cpuz vcore shouldn't have done that)
It's almost done with superpi 32m (linux), so this looks good.

EDIT:
1.37v is far more then any e5200 actually needs at normal speeds, 1.2 should do it. Mine runs at 1.1 without apparant issues.
These CPUs don't have a soldered on lid, so temps are 5-25*c higher then a soldered cap CPU at the same speed/vcore. It sucks, but the only option is ripping the lid off.
Those temps around about right for your settings, though 71*c is higher then i really like.

Last edited:
Quick question about acceptable temps on the e5200. For reference, I'm using an MSI Neo3-F, Rosewill RCX-Z775 heatsink and Tuniq TX-2 compound with an overclock of 300x12.5 @ 1.365v (1.35 after vdroop).

Idle - 38-40c @ 24c ambient
BOINC load - 50c @ 24c ambient
OCCT load - 62c @ 24c ambient, max temp 8 hour burn in.
Linpack load - 71c @ 24c ambient, max temp 8 hour burn in.

I thought these temps might be a little on the high side, so I wanted to get a reference temp @ stock frequency and voltage. Strange thing though is that when I set voltage to "default" on my MSI board it reads 1.37v on CPUz and temps aren't much better. I'm wondering if these temps seem acceptable, it's stable but a little concerning.

Those temps look spot-on to me for your speed and vcore. I was very similar iirc.

Back