• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Official Granite Bay Review Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Moog said:
Howdy coz and Rocinante 'nother former [H]'er here.:beer:

I'm a bit leery of Asus after the P4T533, but I hear their DDR boards are pretty solid. I'll need to see the performance over the long term before I buy.
Sup Moogy-baby?:D

Yeah, the P4T533 'incident' and the fact that Asus went with 2-phase VR on the P4G8X (when everyone else went with 4-6 and Intel recommended 3 for 3GHz+) did make me worry! But from everything I've seen so far the P4G8X seems to be an excellent overclocker. Plus, every Asus board I've ever owned has been fantastic.

It's not the wait for GB that's killing me, it's the wait to get rid of this fuskin' POS BD7II.:mad:

Yeah, I was a relatively recent convert to the way of the *foo(tm) only about 300 posts or so.

My BD7II was excellent, no probs what so ever.....

Anywho.....remember the P4T533 seemed like an excellent oc'er, but then "problems" started to pop up.

Time will tell with the GB based board. I guess I'm a natural skeptic.

Coz said:
So, where exactly is 'Nowhere' then Moog? Is it nice there?;)

Formerly New Orleans, Louisiana now Lawrence, Kansas...actually it's not too bad considering the rest of Kansas....

Originally posted by *foo
Good Lord. I'm honored. :)

You're a reguar fountain 'o knowledge.

Set me straight on the Abit GB7, is it gonna be released, is it not, are there any reviews?

I said "I'm somewhere, coz discovered it."

Coz said:

Hergen de vergen de Moog de mergens de vergens.

I have no idea what this means....only started learning Dutch a few months ago...:p

Btw Coz, have any info on the GB7???

Moog said:
I have no idea what this means....
It means 'Howdy Moog' in the native tongue of Coz-has-just-had-15-pints-of-Hurlimanns-land. I speak it fluently on evening when I'm not trolling the forums.:)

Moog said:
Btw Coz, have any info on the GB7???
Only pictures and the info I can get from them. Basically it looks like an IT7MAX2 with a GB chipset! I got an e-mail from Scott (Tech-Report) a couple of weeks ago saying that they didn't have a sample board from Abit yet but were one of the first in line for one. TR is usually first with Abit reviews and they had their BG7 sample board for ages before the launch. If they don't have a GB7-Ultra yet then it's not a good sign that it's due out anytime soon.:(

Moog said:
Howdy coz and Rocinante 'nother former [H]'er here.:beer:

I'm a bit leery of Asus after the P4T533, but I hear their DDR boards are pretty solid. I'll need to see the performance over the long term before I buy.

Howdy!!!

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I still have emotional scars from the P4T533, so I will wait and see what kind of results others are getting. I am really more excited to see some Abit GB7 results to be perfectly honest.

I have to admit that the asus P4G8X sounds good...BUT,
I am still wondering if the P4G8X will be a better board than the Asus P4S8X using a 512k stick of Corsair extreem DDR 400 ( pc3200).
The P4G8X board is only "officialy" rated to use pc2100 memory at most. ( again, that is "officialy" ) Whereas the P4S8X board is rated to use an "official" pc2700 memory. But at the Corsair Extreem website, their extreem DDR400 memory was tested stable with the P4S8X board.
Considering that just about all newer Asus boards are O/C friendly, wouldn't the P4S8X board using extreem DDR400 be the better combination than using the P4G8X with the same memory?
Even if the GB board did O/C higher, do you really think that there would be that big of a difference between the two setups? Especialy considering that the P4S8X is already available.
Do any of you truely think that the performance difference (if there is any at all) is going to be worth waiting for, as well as paying the price difference for?
I only ask all of this because I am fixing to buy a 2.66P4 and the Corsair extreem DDR400 memory stick in the next day or two and was going to go with the P4S8X board. But, if you guys think that the GB board will perform better, and I mean better ENOUGH to make the wait and price difference worth while, then I shall do so.
Either board I choose will give me good O/Cing ability, especially since I will be using a water cooled system.
And I DO plan to O/C the SH** out of what ever setup I deside to go with.:D
Before any of you answer this post, PLEASE read the test/review of this new GB Asus P4G8X at :
http://www.tomshardware.com/mainboard/02q4/021125/index.html
This should kind of show you what I am getting at in saying that I think the P4S8X board will be better than this new P4G8X board when using DDR400 ( especially Extreem DDR400 ).
Well.. What do you guys think???
I do truely value the opinions of the people on this forum.

Last edited:
Coz,

I am not sure if anyone has already done so, but I want to thank you for placing the links for the reviews on the new motherboards. It has been a great source of information for all of us.

Thanks

Buzzdog

I can't find much info about the Abit GB7. Abit showed one at the Comdex show. It's supposed to have serial ATA and 8X AGP. If anyone runs across any Abit GB7 info, please post it.

My Christmas present to myself is going to be a new aluminum case, granite bay mobo, fastest harddrive I can find, and new top of the line vid card. I'm going to migrate the 2.66 Northy to the GB and slap my old 2.0a into my current TH7-II as my backup rig and finally sell my trusty P-III 700/1050 box.

Batboy,

Don't wait too long for that GB7-Ultra. Abit are one of those manufacturers that are undecided on releasing a GB board and we may never see one from them! The fact that they did show it at Comdex was probably a good sign but if it is going to be released I'm pretty sure it's not going to be this year. They skipped i850E and maybe they're thinking of doing the same with E7205? The Asus P4G8X still looks like the best GB board so far with the Gigabyte GA-8INXP a viable alternative.

Is your CPU maxed-out at 3.15GHz? The only reason I ask is that if your CPU can only hit a 158MHz FSB then GB might not be the best chipset for you. An i850E board running a 4x RDRAM setting would be ideal at that FSB speed. But, if your mobo+RAM combo is holding your CPU back and it can manage something like a 166MHz FSB then GB would be better. Then again, if you're looking at buying some new RAM for a new PC then PC3200 would be better for your Q2/Q3 '03 upgrade!!;)

For me and my 2.26 the GB looks ideal though. I can hit a 177MHz FSB with this chip, even on my crappy undervolting BD7II. Assuming the GB board I buy is happy with that FSB speed I'd be looking at 5.66GB/s from my Kingmax PC2700.:D

Coz,

I am leaning towards the Gigabyte GA-8INXP, I have a theme in mind for the finished system. But with a can of UV paint, the Asus can quickly accomidate my needs. The one thing that is holding me back, other then my theme for the system is that the Asus does not have raid. The Asus boards are reportedly going to be available 11-30. I have not heard of any dates yet for the Gigabyte board yet.

Buzzdog

Back