• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Official Granite Bay Review Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm now fairly certain I won't get my grubby hands on an Asus P4G8X until January 2003. I've e-mailed quite a few suppliers and no-one has an ETA for this board and no info on it either. The major trade-only supplier I use (Ingram Micro UK) doesn't have it in their listings and they tend to have things listed weeks before actually selling them. There is no sign of this board at all in the UK and that makes me think it's not going to be here anytime soon.

Even in the US it's only being listed by Myinfinity and they are clearly playing the 'get a ton of pre-orders' game. What Myinfinity are doing is putting the P4G8X in their listings to get plenty of pre-orders and then putting their ETA date back a few days at a time so no-one gets upset and keep waiting instead. The fact that no-one else is listing the board looks like a clear sign that it's not due out anytime soon.

More worrying is that fact that they're not on sale in the far-east yet! They always get the new stuff well ahead of the US and Europe and I haven't seen a thing about availability there. Asus say the board is shipping, but where?? I've e-mailed pretty much every listed Asus e-mail address in the world but haven't received a single response yet (surprise, surprise).

Looks like ditto for Gigabyte. A forum member at OCUK got an e-mail from Gigabyte UK saying that they were planning on mass-producing their GB board in January 2003. Since Gigabyte UK don't make the boards they're probably talking about Gigabyte in general. The 2 French vendors who are listing the GA-8INXP must be 'doing a Myinfinity'.

Do you guys share my pessimism or do you think I'm a freakin' nut? No Granite Bay and no beer make Coz go crazy.:(

Myinfinity.com claims to expect the Asus P4G8X to be in stock on December 4th. Of course, I've never done business with this outfit before and know nothing about them.

batboy said:
Myinfinity.com claims to expect the Asus P4G8X to be in stock on December 4th. Of course, I've never done business with this outfit before and know nothing about them.
Apparently their reseller rating is pretty bad. Plus, their ETA was 11/30 a couple of days ago.:(

A swedish store has had preorders for 5 gigabyte boards that were to arrive on the 4th of december.
They have now started another round of 5 boards coming in about a week later.
http://www.sbs.o.se is the store.
They were really pricey so I didn't order one myself,
2700 swedish crowns compared to 2000 or even a bit less for a compareable 850E board while the PE is around 1300 for the cheaper models.
Bad news for myself since I wont be able to get a new machine in time for christmas if they don't speed up.

edit: it's not me, it's my keyboard ;)

SBeaver said:
They were really pricey so I didn't order one myself,
2700 swedish crowns compared to 2000 or even a bit less for a compareable 850E board while the PE is around 1300 for the cheaper models.
Yoinks!! 2700 Swedish Krona is about $300. That's one expensive moderkort.:)

This makes me stop to think, if these keep beign delayed, we might not see them until springdale starts being reviewed, then that will create another delima. GAWD. I think I might start picking up the rest of my pieces for my case. Get it finished, and if they still dont have the GA-8INXP out by then, I can throw in my IT7 to hold me buy I guess. Id love to find a c1 chip that can run 185-195 fsb with a prometia. That would make me smile......

Buzzdog said:
This makes me stop to think, if these keep beign delayed, we might not see them until springdale starts being reviewed, then that will create another delima. GAWD. I think I might start picking up the rest of my pieces for my case. Get it finished, and if they still dont have the GA-8INXP out by then, I can throw in my IT7 to hold me buy I guess. Id love to find a c1 chip that can run 185-195 fsb with a prometia. That would make me smile......

One guy at Sharky forums says that he oveclocked his clients rig with 1.6v. He got a C1 2.5B from Newegg that did 3.2ghz.

I'm almost leaning towards getting a cheap PE board instead if it keeps looking like this.
Then I can get a Canterwood later and with a little luck my two ramsticks will be able to do 200fsb in dual config.
They can do 200 individually but that takes some heavy voltage so it would be quite a gamble.
No OC headroom either, but cheap of course.
I'll wait just a little longer to decide though

pby5cat said:
iwas looking for any thing about the abit GB7 and found this i don't know if it means much though.

I don't remember the name, I think it was Chang or something similar.
That guy is the one you should try to contact if Abit support wont give out the info directly.
He has something to do with the FAE-departement there.
He should know

First Abit declines to release an 850E board, then this...:(

I'm losing confidence.

Btw, Coz looks ready for a bit of the ultra-violence.:D

Moog said:
Btw, Coz looks ready for a bit of the ultra-violence.:D
Hehe, yeah!! The endless waiting for GB has had a profound affect on my sanity. Now, if you'll excuse me - it's time for a bit of the old ultraviolence over at Abit HQ.:mad:

I've just spoken with my main trade-only supplier (Ingram Micro UK) because they are actually listing the Asus P4G8X Deluxe at last!!!

SKU # B99Z430
ASUSTEK / 90-M8L841-E0UAY
P4G8X/DEL/GD SKT478 IE7205 ATX SND LAN 1394 FSB533 SATA10
Price £124.05
ETA: 18th December

Looks like there is actually a glimmer of hope that we'll see this board in 2002. I'm still expecting to get my hands on one in January 2003 though.

Ah well, it's still good news.:D

I ordered an Albatron 845PE board and I don't feel bad about that at all.
I'll just jump on the dualddr wagon when Canterwood comes

Coz said:
I've just spoken with my main trade-only supplier (Ingram Micro UK) because they are actually listing the Asus P4G8X Deluxe at last!!!

SKU # B99Z430
ASUSTEK / 90-M8L841-E0UAY
P4G8X/DEL/GD SKT478 IE7205 ATX SND LAN 1394 FSB533 SATA10
Price £124.05
ETA: 18th December

Ah well, it's still good news.:D
That's great news! The price sounds pretty decent too considering some companies in America are listing the deluxe board for $220 (£150).

Please be sure to keep us updated on this! :santa:

Back