• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking of Folding,need advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Your not sure if HFM is working?
You have to point hfm to the folder that contains the file FAhlog.txt.
A bit more detailed:
Click on Clients
Click on add a client
Name the Instance anything you want
Enter the shader speed in MHz
Go to Log Folder: and enter the path to the Fahlog.txt file
click OK
Your want to add a client for each gpu or cpu client your running.
use search to find each fahlog.txt file and make sure you when you search you include hidden files so you'll be able to find the fahlog.txt file for the systray client. And you have to unhide the file.

A bit more detailed:
Click on Clients
Click on add a client
click OK
use search to find each fahlog.txt file and make sure you when you search you include hidden files so you'll be able to find the fahlog.txt file for the systray client. And you have to unhide the file.

Ok ill try that in a bit..
I just realized something,my PSU fan is facing down and pulls air from the bottom or the case,I tilted my case so I could see the fan and the hot air turned cool coming out the back of it,I definalty need to set my case on something so the PSU fan can get some air..

A bit more detailed:
Click on Clients
Click on add a client
click OK

Client opens in notepad correct?
Also the HFM plugin is in the folder with the FAHlog..

If you want to look at the client.cfg file, use an app like Notetab light. Notepad will work but you will see the file in a single line as it doesn't recognize the carriage returns in the file.
HFM goes where you put it if you use the .zip and windows default paths if you use the installer.

If you want to look at the client.cfg file, use an app like Notetab light. Notepad will work but you will see the file in a single line as it doesn't recognize the carriage returns in the file.
HFM goes where you put it if you use the .zip and windows default paths if you use the installer.

Yes I aimed it to the folder and it is in there.

You should have multiple folders to aim HFM at. One for each client. When you get hooked a little more HFM will look like this:

Attachments

• 122910HFM.JPG
    122910HFM.JPG
    296 KB · Views: 44
You should have multiple folders to aim HFM at. One for each client. When you get hooked a little more HFM will look like this:

Im not seeing any of that,so that means it isnt working?

WOW 3 9800Xs? These things are power hungry BEAST..I really love this 580,it is so efficient,temps are low and it is so quiet even with fan on 85%

At one time I had 4 - GTX 295 cards folding in a single system. 8 clients and pulling 1.3KW from the wall.

Do you have .NET 3.5 installed?

At one time I had 4 - GTX 295 cards folding in a single system. 8 clients and pulling 1.3KW from the wall.

Do you have .NET 3.5 installed?

1.3kW That's what I'm talking about :D

I'm thinking my 1200 silverstone Zeus will handle 4 460's and my i7(or so the psu calc says so with about 100ish watts to spare.(and I maxed out the TPD and set cap aging at 20%)

P180 is right. I own 8 of the things so you'd think I'd remember the name. I bought a 120 mm hole saw specifically for adding a fan in the door. Used a drill press to get a neat round hole and put a 63 cfm Sythe s-flex, blowing just below the top card, in every one of them.
Speaking of Antec cases, I wish they'd use decent fans in them. I've replaced almost every fan in every antec case I own.

I thought I'd like the upper/lower compartment design (ala Lian-Li) but I find it to be more of a PITA than it's really worth. You can't get a really large PSU in the case. Even the 650TX I'm running now is just small enough that I can still have a fan in the lower compartment. Then there's the wire hole in the middle of the compartment separator... yeah, all those wires coming up in the middle of the case... that doesn't get in the way of anything. :rolleyes:

I like the fact Antec gives you a speed selectable fan with their cases but when running them 24/7 as we do, i too have experienced a high failure rate........

I can't really tell ya about any Antec Tri-Cool fan failures. I'm also partial to the Scythe S-Flex fans (with a Delta or Panaflo mixed in). I just rip out the Antecs and then sell 'em. :D

Yep... make sure you have .NET 3.5 SP1 installed. .NET 4.0 is a completely different runtime. I'm not sure where the Mono Framework is with implementing the 4.0 libraries (or if it's even on the road map) but I have a hunch HFM will be 3.5 bound for quite a while. Btw Dave - HFM (harlam's folding monitor) is written by me, harlam357 - home brewed right here on Team 32. :) Most anyone here can help with general setup and there were some instructions a few posts back that should get you going. If you ever have any questions though you can always PM me here or post in the HFM Google Group. The latter is usually the quickest way to get my attention.

So if the app is starting all you need to add your client is...

1) Client Name (almost anything you want)
2) Processor MHz (shader speed for GPUs - this is optional but if you don't enter the correct number here the PPD/MHz reading will be meaningless)
3) Path to the FAHlog.txt file (another user already suggested searching your HD for it - you'll quickly get familiar with where that baby hides)

Leave all the other options alone for now.

Last edited:
I thought I'd like the upper/lower compartment design (ala Lian-Li) but I find it to be more of a PITA than it's really worth. You can't get a really large PSU in the case. Even the 650TX I'm running now is just small enough that I can still have a fan in the lower compartment. Then there's the wire hole in the middle of the compartment separator... yeah, all those wires coming up in the middle of the case... that doesn't get in the way of anything. :rolleyes:

I can't really tell ya about any Antec Tri-Cool fan failures. I'm also partial to the Scythe S-Flex fans (with a Delta or Panaflo mixed in). I just rip out the Antecs and then sell 'em. :D

Yep... make sure you have .NET 3.5 SP1 installed. .NET 4.0 is a completely different runtime. I'm not sure where the Mono Framework is with implementing the 4.0 libraries (or if it's even on the road map) but I have a hunch HFM will be 3.5 bound for quite a while. Btw Dave - HFM (harlam's folding monitor) is written by me, harlam357 - home brewed right here on Team 32. :) Most anyone here can help with general setup and there were some instructions a few posts back that should get you going. If you ever have any questions though you can always PM me here or post in the HFM Google Group. The latter is usually the quickest way to get my attention.

So if the app is starting all you need to add your client is...

1) Client Name (almost anything you want)
2) Processor MHz (shader speed for GPUs - this is optional but if you don't enter the correct number here the PPD/MHz reading will be meaningless)
3) Path to the FAHlog.txt file (another user already suggested searching your HD for it - you'll quickly get familiar with where that baby hides)

Leave all the other options alone for now.

It won't let me install 3.5 SP 1,even if I uninstall 4 first:confused:

This is how the inside of the folder looks..

Im not sure what Im supposed to see here..

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 44
You haven't started HFM. I've never used anything but the .zip so I don't know where the installer puts things. You did run the installer? If so there should be a shortcut on the desktop if not a HFM icon in the system tray.

HFM Data is stored in \users\username\AppData\Roaming\HFM

You haven't started HFM. I've never used anything but the .zip so I don't know where the installer puts things. You did run the installer? If so there should be a shortcut on the desktop if not a HFM icon in the system tray.

HFM Data is stored in \users\username\AppData\Roaming\HFM

there was no installer just the DLL file.

Back