• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

This is my 3rd proposed build thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
he should have just done a core 2 quad or duo set up a few hundred cheaper to get a few better parts.

he should have just done a core 2 quad or duo set up a few hundred cheaper to get a few better parts.

I would love to see you post a C2Q setup that is a few hundred cheaper than a basic i7 920 setup which costs around $400 or so for processor+mobo.

Rosewill? Who the hell buys a Rosewill?

And for SEVENTY BUCKS!?!?!

I remember Black Friday last year you could get one for $30.

Why not get a Corsair? Or a PCP&P... or hell... an Antec... ANYTHING but a Rosewill...

It's ok rainless, calm down there buddy. The sky is not falling, I didn't buy the rosewill after haha, you guys have changed my mind.

Final build was:

MOTHERBOARD AND GPU:
EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX X58 SLI LE Intel Motherboard - Retail

+

EVGA 896-P3-1255-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.252462

$405 after mail in rebates

RAM:
G.SKILL 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-3GBNQ - Retail $75

Planning to drop another 3 gigs in later.

HD:
Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM $75

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136320

CASE:
Antec 300

$70

OPTICAL:
Sony Optiarc DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model AD-7241S-0B LightScribe Support - OEM

$36

PSU:
CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power ... - Retail $78

PROCESSOR:
Intel core i7 920 nehalem $290 canadian, shipped.

All links except the first one have already been provided in this thread.
Overall, I think it should be pretty future proof. I see my weakest components being the ram, and psu. Videocard prices will always skyrocket for cutting edge, so I'm happy with the 260 instead of something faster. I can always add ram later, and should the psu not be powerful enough in the future, I can always sell it and upgrade.
Total cost after taxes and shipping: 1160. 160 dollars over my planned budget, but that's fine considering the computer is substantially better than the one I would've built for 1000. Hopefully the increased quality and performance will save me 160 dollars in upgrades in the long run.

Uhh.. I said good quality.. Look at the Corsair 550w for example. Nowhere near the 30A you suggest, try 41A. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004

edit: Hell, the 400w Corsair in my HTPC is rated at 30A, and I'd trust that to run an i7/4850 system any day.
Uhhhh, you said 300W. I dont give a darn if it is a Corsair/PCPnC. If it doesnt have enough amperage on the 12v I wouldnt run it. Pretty simple what I said....300W is too low for an i7 and HD4850. Combined those will pull ~20A by themselves. Do the math 20a*12= 240W. You are also not taking into account the mobo power needs, and noise. I wouldnt do it, no frikin way. While it may turn on, I would never share that thought out loud.

@ Cannon - Sorry about the thread jacking, but there is no way I would let that poor advice go out publically. Chances are any 300W PSU will not have near enough amperage to run for a significant amount of time, a PC like you are building.

No worries earthdog, this thread has kinda been jacked from the beginning between people disagreeing on parts and others not understanding the computer's intended purpose.

It did make for some good suggestions though, and overall had a productive outcome. I went with the corsair 550w after, hopefully it will be fine.

It will be just fine. Depending on your next rig and its parts though, you may need an upgrade. You would also need to upgrade if you plan on going crossfire, which it doesnt appear so. Sounds like the perfect fit for now! :)

Uhhhh, you said 300W. I dont give a darn if it is a Corsair/PCPnC. If it doesnt have enough amperage on the 12v I wouldnt run it. Pretty simple what I said....300W is too low for an i7 and HD4850. Combined those will pull ~20A by themselves. Do the math 20a*12= 240W. You are also not taking into account the mobo power needs, and noise. I wouldnt do it, no frikin way. While it may turn on, I would never share that thought out loud.

Look here http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3341&p=22

That 227 watt load number is for a system with a 4850 and a [email protected]. That's power draw at the wall. Accounting for PSU efficiency, say 80%, the system is only actually using 181 watts. A good modern PSU can supply about 90% of it's rated wattage on the 12v rail(s). A 300 watt unit that fits the description of 'quality modern PSU' would certainly be able to run that system just fine, and would be rated somewhere around 23 amps on the 12v. Perhaps not in the fat part of the efficiency curve, but it would work. The 550w the OP went with is a great unit, a bit overkill for the application, but will give decent headroom for overclocking and/or adding a second video card. This is a pointless issue anyway, since I don't know of any companies making good 300 watt PSUs any more. Corsair's 400w unit could run the system all day long without a hiccup, for sure.

Seems like pretty much since the dawn of time, people have been suggesting way bigger PSUs than is really necessary.

edit: [email protected] with 4850, 236 watts draw from the PSU http://www.hardocp.com/article/2008/06/25/amd_radeon_hd_4800_series/8

i7 920@stock with a GTX 280 which draws more than 4850, 211 watts at the PSU http://www.guru3d.com/article/intel-core-i7-920-and-965-review/18

Last edited:
Your last line makes me giggle a bit inside rat b/c that has been my mantra! While that is a nice little article, note this line in it..
These numbers are peak power draw experienced over multiple runs of 3dmark vantage's third feature test (pixel shaders). This test heavily loads the GPU while being very light on the rest of the system so that we can get as clear a picture of relative GPU power draw as possible. Playing games will incur much higher system level power draw as the CPU, memory, drives and other hardware may also start to hit their own peak power draw at the same time.

Please also note that an i7 will use more power than the QX9770. So thanks for that article but its not close to accurate. :)

lulz.. toms. They use a Kill a Watt meter to measure power for god sakes. And that showed 445W on load BTW. 445x.8 = 356W actual (about). The i7 will not drop much more than 50W at idle. It depends on the voltage used.

My PC running P95 Small FFT and Furmark hits 460W!!! Come on! :)

I give up, measurable results obviously don't hold sway here ;)
If they were worth anything, I would believe you. Im not trying to be difficult but Tom's is a joke. Any review site using a killawatt to measure power need their head checked. You have done an admirable job posting up your thoughts, but the supporting evidence came up short.

I am ALWAYS willing to share the correct information but to say a 300W PSU with likely 20A on the 12v rail being sufficient for an i7 + HD4850 with possibly a mild o/c is just bad advice. Im sorry. I cant go along with that.

The numbers I initially stated are spot on accurate (amperage ratings for i7 and HD4850). The support for the CPU is above and spot on as well knowing [H]. I actually emailed Patrick and had a wonderful discusion with him about it and his methodologies for testing.

Last edited:
I am ALWAYS willing to share the correct information but to say a 200W PSU with likely 20A on the 12v rail being sufficient for an i7 + HD4850 with possibly a mild o/c is just bad advice. Im sorry. I cant go along with that.

I never suggested the OP buy a 300 watt PSU. I said it's a waste to go with a 650 watt unit for a system that will not be drawing anywhere near that, even if he goes crossfire.

Again, I'm sorry the posted reviews (which all somehow come to similar results) are not good enough to convince you.

edit: BTW, I'll leave the last word to you. Enjoy ;)

I know you never mention to buy it...

Im done here. My posts and supporting documentation speak for themselves. :)

It's ok rainless, calm down there buddy. The sky is not falling, I didn't buy the rosewill after haha, you guys have changed my mind.

But it could have :bday:

Back