• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

This is why people buy from Cathar

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Raider84 said:
or maybe just reduced prices?

How much does the actual block cost per block, if you dont mind me asking.

After I lay it all out shall I then let you decide what you think is a fair reduced price?

Raider84 said:
i like that idea.....

For the best it costs, when only the finest will do, Get one of Cathar's blocks.

It probably would be best to ask Cathar his prices via PM or E-mail.
The old cliche is, if you have to ask, you probably can't afford it is probably applicable. These SS blocks are the finest crafted blocks available. But as I mentioned perfection comes at a premium, but for some its worth every penny.
:rolleyes:

cant wait for mine :D

i'll probably put it on a clear case on top of my desk for a while

;)
its a great work of art ::methinks::

Raider84 said:

Actually I just sat down with a pen, the receipts, some paper and a calculator and worked out what it costs me to put together an AMD Cascade SS, right from beginning to a packaged box ready to go. I hadn't really done this before but I had a fair idea that I was cutting things pretty finely but really didn't care as I'm not in it for the money. I'm in it purely for the hobby and satisfaction that I get from the people who (hopefully) enjoy their block.

It worked out to a grand total $245 Aussie dollars (AUD) outlayed per block, and that doesn't actually include about 3 hours of my time spent per block.

For an AMD Cascade SS I asked for $253 AUD (not including shipping). Paypal surcharges eats about $11 AUD of that which I'm not allowed to charge for according to Paypal policy (but I do ask for 3% extra to cover the foreign exchange rate conversion to my currency), leaving me with ~$242 received from any one person.

So at the end of the day each SS block is costing me about $3 AUD (or ~$2 US) to send to someone, plus 3 hours of my time.

What do you think would be a fair amount for me to reduce the price by to make it easier for others to afford?

Ahh, the truth hurts: Making waterblocks actually does cost money! If it weren't such a great hobby, I don't think any of us would do it, although I'm still not looking forward to paying the machinists for the next waterblock I'm having made... Man,

Keep up the good work, Cathar! You're a great resource.

Last edited:
Man, that is one expensive wc block. But it seems well worth the price. I don't think anyone can ask for a reduce price Cathar for such a beauty. However, name your price man.

Hey Vookar, post us some pics and your new temp.

lmao Vonkaar,

Cathar, it is refreshing to see that sort of pride going into the manufacturing. Absolutely beautiful man. Keep rockin!.
(you will be getting a PM from me if i ever get any $ :( )LOL

J.

Hm... Cathar, I thought you didn't do 3 barb design for the Cascade? Why the change of heart?

And from what I hear at Bit-Tech forums, the silver Cascade is not available any longer?

Cathar said:

I was cutting things pretty finely but really didn't care as I'm not in it for the money. I'm in it purely for the hobby and satisfaction that I get from the people who (hopefully) enjoy their block.

My title was a bit misleading... the lap-job and workmanship is surely reason enough to buy from Cathar, but it isn't the 'main' thing. He basically makes no profit on his blocks... any profit that is made is probably simply going to the cost of development. He's also charging us nearly slave-labor 'man-hours' fees...

Honestly, the only way I'd ever be able to convince the woman to let me spend so much time on something like that (the creation of water-blocks) would be to prove how much money I'm going to make. If she knew that I was mainly doing it to help other people and was probably going to barely break even... it wouldn't be pretty. That's what seperates people like Cathar from schmucks like me =p.

vonkaar said:

My title was a bit misleading... the lap-job and workmanship is surely reason enough to buy from Cathar, but it isn't the 'main' thing. He basically makes no profit on his blocks... any profit that is made is probably simply going to the cost of development. He's also charging us nearly slave-labor 'man-hours' fees...

Honestly, the only way I'd ever be able to convince the woman to let me spend so much time on something like that (the creation of water-blocks) would be to prove how much money I'm going to make. If she knew that I was mainly doing it to help other people and was probably going to barely break even... it wouldn't be pretty. That's what seperates people like Cathar from schmucks like me =p.

It sounds like you need to get another woman man. There are many fish in the sea. Go out and fish yourself another one worthy of who you are.

sganimefan said:
Hm... Cathar, I thought you didn't do 3 barb design for the Cascade? Why the change of heart?

And from what I hear at Bit-Tech forums, the silver Cascade is not available any longer?

I don't do the 3-barb version for the regular blocks. For the silver blocks I was willing to entertain people's desires purely because they're buying something special, and I won't deny what they want within reason.

The silver Cascade (Cascade SS) is only available through special batch orders. Presently closing the second batch now (on Sunday 23rd) and if I ever do another batch of the SS's, it won't happen before March next year due to the imminent birth of our second child about to slow things down to a crawl.

I've also suspended taking requests for the regular Cascades until 1st Feb '04 for the same reason. Just working through a batch of blocks that I have here to go to people on the wait list.

Cathar said:

I've also suspended taking requests for the regular Cascades until 1st Feb '04 for the same reason. Just working through a batch of blocks that I have here to go to people on the wait list.

Bummer. I was just going to order one :(

NeoMoses said:
Ahh, the truth hurts: Making waterblocks actually does cost money! If it weren't such a great hobby, I don't think any of us would do it, although I'm still not looking forward to paying the machinists for the next waterblock I'm having made... Man,

Keep up the good work, Cathar! You're a great resource.

I was the first person in the USA to sell silver cold plates for Tecs and I finally stopped making them because I lost money on every sale.(Plus within 3 weeks of selling them, other vendors jumped on the bandwagon. Hey thats the American way, and apparently Cathar across the great pond is following the same protocol, except his products can't be replicated so easily. (People try, but a Cathar block is a Cathar block. Accept no substitute) :cool:

Cathar...that price is out of the world for a SILVER waterblock. I was seriously expecting 600 AUD AT LEAST. Maybe I am not with the program....but at such an awsome price I dont know how people can pass this up. I cant.

Its inspiring to see someone do something they like enough to not be concerned with income. Truely amazing man :D

Last edited:
RCtruckguy said:
um i dont want to scare my self but whats that in USD?

~RCTG

According to the latest exchange rate figures, $1.00 AUD buys about $0.72 US. So multiply the amount by 0.72 to arrive at a US dollar figure.

When I talk about the US dollar's plunging value, just 12 months ago $1.00 AUD was buying $0.49 US. i.e. The US dollar is worth about 2/3's of what it was 12 months ago.

well thats what happens when the us dollar is backed up by nothing.... :rolleyes:

Jon

Back