• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Triple Screen. Info?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tron5

Hey Everyone,

New here and relatively new to building a rig. So I am kinda making lists and reading and searching a lot to make a nice system. For some reason I have a crazy addiction to the three screen monitor setup. I have searched on the internet and on here But I cannot for the life of me find a good way to go about setting this up. Do I purchase one big mother GPU that can handle 3 screens? or do I purchase 2 and use SLI or CFX? Personally I would rather have 3 screens that would provide an immersive game feeling than have one screen where the graphics are maxed. Your help will be greatly appreciated!
:comp:
Cheers.

First welcome !

Second, i run a surround setup for more than 3 years now and with current GPU you dont absolutely need a SLI or CFX but if you want to max every new title, then yes you need more horse power. I currently run a single GTX670 @ ~1100mhz and it can handle BF3 at 5760x1080 with ULTRA settings and only MSAA turned off. IQ is really good and i get 50-55fps with some dip at 40-45 but nothing to really ruin the gameplay. If i use 2x MSAA, its not that as smooth. Adding a second GTX670 will make 2x MSAA usable. ( Single/dual 680's will be similar )

If you go AMD, they have a little better memory amount/bus with the 7970/7950 VS the 680/670. But again, on 3 screen you often need more than 1 GPU to be able ta max things out with newer title. Going past 2 GPU, 3way or 4way, is sometimes not paying that much cause you fall into scalling issue with some title. From the last reviews ive read, SLI seems to scale a bit better as for now. Source down here.

latest multigpu review from techpowerup said:
Looking at other contenders for a moment, you'll find that you simply don't need a GTX 680 2-way SLI when you can just buy a GTX 690 that runs quieter and saves an expansion slot because the price-performance ratio of a 3-way GTX 680 configuration is bad. AMD's HD 7970 GHz Edition CrossFire setup has its moments, but flunks far too many tests due to poor multi-GPU driver optimizations by AMD.

If you go 3 1080p monitor, the best bang for your buck is still a CFX 7950. At under 300$ each, you can really go wrong even if few title wont scale that good. SLI also have its not well optimized SLI title. if you go Nvidia, a SLI 670 is a good choice for the money spent.

Yes this is similar to my card but from asus. I have a reference design EVGA GTX 670 with an aftermarket cooler from Arctic cooling. Running 2 in SLI isnt a nightmare.

2 DVI + 1 HDMI or 1 DI + 2 HDMI or you could use the DP too. GTX600 series are not picky with surround and connectivity.

I run 2 DVI and 1 HDMI to my 3 Asus VE278Q, the HDMI from the GPU is on a HDMI/DVI adapter on the monitor so all monitor receive DVI input.

Back