• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ugh. Any Full Tower case suggestions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lolek

Registered
Well, even though I've already bought a Thermaltake Armor (8003, the one with the fan on the side panel), I'm really starting to have second thoughts.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a full ATX case? I'm looking for something large for versatility, and customization.

In fact--just suggest your favorites, even if they're a largish midATX case.
Trying to keep things in the $0-150 range, loosely.

Thanks~
--Lolek
[First-time system building is tedious as hell. Wow.]

I went with the CM Stacker 830, which is amazing and on discount for between $120 to $150. However, it's only worthwhile if you're sticking with aircooling and planning to take advantage of the number of fan options it gives you.

If you're planning a wc'ed case or otherwise, choose something else.

I will toss my vote in for the original Stacker as well.

It's a large full tower with endless configurations, power supply mounting top and bottom,
12 mesh bay covers, mesh intake on the bottom can be used for rad mount (if you water cool) all together an excellent case for great cooling possibilities.

And I think the case is dead sexy!:drool:

What about one of the old-school Chenming/Chieftec/Antec towers? Especially the true full-tower version... they're huge, sturdy, and cheap. Last I checked, Newegg still carried 'em, and xoxide has 'em too.

Hmm, what troubles are you having with your Armor? I've had one since they came out...I've rebuilt my system a couple times in it (watercooling rebuilds, replaced mobo) and I find it really easy to work with. It's especially good for wire management because of the space behind the motherboard tray (I cut a hole for the 24 pin PSU connector). The only downside is the black version is steel so it's really heavy, and the flaps on the front are pretty useless. *shrug*

What about one of the old-school Chenming/Chieftec/Antec towers? Especially the true full-tower version... they're huge, sturdy, and cheap. Last I checked, Newegg still carried 'em, and xoxide has 'em too.
Yeah... its my favorite case that fits your budget. And a blast to cut up for bigger fans / WC / a window if you have a cutting wheel. (dremel is a bit small for such a large case)
Old School Chenming ~100 shipped from the egg.

Check out my old project here for some ideas with the case. I found recently, that there are a lot more options for modding it once you abandon the stock HDD cages... so that may be something to consider. (read LianLi HDD cage)

There are of course nicer towers out there that cost more... Especially these two. The Silverstone TJ-07, and LianLi PC-A70B in particular stick out in my mind.

I went with the CM Stacker 830, which is amazing and on discount for between $120 to $150. However, it's only worthwhile if you're sticking with aircooling and planning to take advantage of the number of fan options it gives you.

If you're planning a wc'ed case or otherwise, choose something else.

Hmm, don't know why you say choose something else for WC. A lot of great WC stacker mods in here:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=102550

Jump to the end of the thread and go backwards and you'll find a ton of great air and wc'd stackers.

Take a look at Lian-Li's A70, full tower, upper or lower PSU mounting,
removeable mobo tray, 120mm fans everywhere etc............
I just bought one for my new rig:santa:

Check out the CM RC-690

It's labeled as a Mid tower, but it's pretty big. Just bought one for my Wifes computer. VERY well built (no side window though), TONS of optiosn for fans, AWESOME built in cable managment.

Back